Looking for a bit of a beast

Burntrice

Newly Enlightened
I'm thinking about getting something from about 700ish lumen's upwards, thought i would just throw this out and see what's suggested.

This would be for no specific purpose, must be able to use rechargeable CR123's or 18650.
I'm thinking maybe a triple XML? but dont have my mind set on anything at the moment.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking for a bit of a beast

343kg2b.jpg

>700ish lumen's upwards
>triple xml
>18650 or cr123a

Seriously though malkoff wildcat or hound dog (not sure which versions are currently available & where).

Last edited:

Philonous

Newly Enlightened
What do you want the light for? Seems to me you can get those kind of lumens wthout going down the triple XML route (the Fenix TK35 comes to mind).

Burntrice

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for sensible suggestions.

The malkoff would be £190 by the time its shipped here to the UK, then if i have a problem I'm looking at some huge shipping costs to send it back so I'm going to stick to something i can buy from a UK supplier.
I'm liking the look of the Fenix tk35 the only thing that puts me off is the fact that i already have two fenix's and dont want to have a collection full of them.
The Eagletac M3C4 XM-L is pretty appealing aswell.
Any other idea's in the 4xRCR123 / 2x18650 market?

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
700 lumens can be very floody or very throwy. You only need a single XML for that. Triple XML will get you over the 2000 lumen range. Are you looking for flood or throw?

My Zebralight SC600 is 700 lumens but it is very different from the 700 lumens that comes out of my EagleTac M3C4 single XML, Olight M3X, or Cat V3.

Throw:
M3C4 single XML
Olight M3X
Catapult V3
SR51

Flood:
Zebralight SC600
Spark SL6

The TK35 slots in between flood and throw. It throws nowhere near as well as the lights I listed in the throw catagory but it does throw better than the lights I listed in the flood catagory. The Scorpion V2 is about equal in flood, throw, and output to the TK35 but in a smaller package with a single 18650 cell. Not quite sure the Scorpion build quality is on par with Fenix though. I've had a lot of issues with Thrunite lights lately.

Burntrice

Newly Enlightened
Thanks tre. I think i'm happy with what i have in terms of throw (JetBeam RRT1-R2) but having checked out your list, the SR51 is very appealing as it comes with a diffuser. When comparing to the M3X it wins for me in size and OP reflector.

The ZL SC600 just doesn't get me excited and for obvious reasons, nor does the Spark.

I think i'm down to either the Eagletec M3C4 XML or the SR51

archimedes

Flashaholic
Thanks for sensible suggestions.

The malkoff would be £190 by the time its shipped here to the UK, then if i have a problem I'm looking at some huge shipping costs to send it back so I'm going to stick to something i can buy from a UK supplier.
I'm liking the look of the Fenix tk35 the only thing that puts me off is the fact that i already have two fenix's and dont want to have a collection full of them.
The Eagletac M3C4 XM-L is pretty appealing aswell.
Any other idea's in the 4xRCR123 / 2x18650 market?

Sorry, I owe you a couple of better suggestions (the OP was pretty vague, and there have been a few humorous threads recently about "beast lights", thus the Megaray comment ;) ...).

Anyway, you might want to take a look at the JETBeam M1XL (750 lumen, 2x18650 or 4xCR123A), especially if you want a thrower. Also, the new version of the JETBeam RRT-3 XM-L will be released in just a few days, and it will give you 1950 of those lumens, but runs on 3x18650.

Good Luck! :)

Burntrice

Newly Enlightened
Sorry, I owe you a couple of better suggestions (the OP was pretty vague, and there have been a few humorous threads recently about "beast lights", thus the Megaray comment ;) ...).

Anyway, you might want to take a look at the JETBeam M1XL (750 lumen, 2x18650 or 4xCR123A), especially if you want a thrower. Also, the new version of the JETBeam RRT-3 XM-L will be released in just a few days, and it will give you 1950 of those lumens, but runs on 3x18650.

Good Luck! :)

NP :) My OP was a little vague. Like many of us, I've no need or purpose for this purchase, I'm just looking for an 'upgrade' on my highest lumen light, the fenix tk15 at 337 lumen's. Maybe my OP was OTT using the word 'beast' but in my mind, anything approaching 1000 lumen's is huge, ie beast like :)
I've also recently bought a pila charger (specificity for RCR123's) so now have 18650 batt's as an option.

To be honest I've gone off a triple xml simply because of some beam shots I've seen. As I've said in a previous post I'm more than happy with my current thrower, the RRT1- R2 and as another CPF member recently said, after several years of this addiction I think I've matured past "awesome throw is best!!!11")

SR51 is currently winning... I do go camping every year so I can just about justify it to the wife. I've also done a little groundwork with a £45 blouse from monsoon and a £75 charm from Pandora so its almost like i'm owed it!

Last edited:

goose2283

Newly Enlightened
I absolutely love my SR51. It doesn't see a lot of use, but it's a great light for walking the dogs and investigating eye reflections in the woods. It's astonishingly small for the amount of throw and brightness. I also find the UI quite intuitive.

If flood is more your thing, I'd heartily recommend the Spark SL6. It's tiny, and although the bezel and tailcap are a touch sharp for pocket carry, it has completely taken over my EDC rotation, using the provided holster.

HKJ

Flashaholic
I'm thinking about getting something from about 700ish lumen's upwards, thought i would just throw this out and see what's suggested.

This would be for no specific purpose, must be able to use rechargeable CR123's or 18650.
I'm thinking maybe a triple XML? but dont have my mind set on anything at the moment.

Maybe this comparison will be helpful:

Or this one: