Your most surprising lights?

AutoTech

Enlightened
Bit of an odd one.. Was thinking the other day about lights you get that surprise you. When I say surprise, that could be a good or a bad surprise!

For example I bought myself a new jetbeam BA20 for work and wasn't impressed as such, just seemed 'ok' must say I'm dissapointed with the supposed 270lm!

The other day I bought myself a Klarus ST10, it was a total unplanned purchase and I've never really liked the look of them. It was 2nd hand and cheap (hence the purchase)

It really surprised me, an awesome little light! Love the 2nd button and UI on the light, and what a great output it has for only 140lm on a single AA cell. It has a really nice beam too. It got me straight onto looking for a new Klarus! If this is what a single aa can do, I've got to see a 2xcr123 klarus.

So, that was my surprising light! A little light I'd seen online and dismissed for it's single aa power and relatively low output suddenly became awesome.

Anyone else got a memorable surprise story? I'm talking something you were like.. "meh, I'll get it anyway" then.. "sheesh, this is awesome. Got my new edc"

And, yes I am bored :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Harry999

Enlightened
Re: Your most suprising lights?

The Thrunite Neutron was that light for me. Initially I won a 2AA version and it took some time for it to get to me. I expected to just put the light away and never use it again. To my surprise it was the light which had the beam pattern I was looking for. A wide spread that reminds me of my Zebralight H501.

I now have six Neutrons in AA and 2AA and cool/neutral versions plus a spare CR123 body if I want to use it. The only problem I have had is with the clicky on a Neutral 1C version not functioning when it arrived from the States. I replaced it with a Quark regular clicky and it now functions perfectly. That was my first ever switch repair and compared to the modding ability of some of the people on this board that is nothing but I was very pleased I managed it. I normally have very little mechanical aptitude! :)

mattevt

Newly Enlightened

Surefire E1e surprises me every time I use it.. It's a tiny light and only 15 incan lumens. But I just love it. It's the light I go to the most. It's enough light for 80% of the times I need a flash light.

AaronG

Enlightened

For me it was the Fenix E05. I bought the first one for my Dad as a birthday gift. He liked it so much that I bought another one for my father in law. Then I was so impressed that I bought one for myself!

At first I thought it would be an ok non-flashaholic light because it was a simple, regulated, single level light. It ended up displacing my stainless steel revo because I usually use the revo in medium or high anyway and the multiple twisting was getting annoying. The E05 output is just a little bump from the revo medium which is perfect and the flood beam is more useful.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think maybe the Zebralight H51f. I was expecting to like it but was concerned that I might not like the UI or some other aspects. It's turned out to be my favorite light.

Regarding not being able to edit the title. I think if you hit "edit" and then "advanced" the advanced lets you edit the title as well.

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast

I was recently pleasantly surprised by one of my older lights.
Its an Arc 4 (1xCR123) that has a custom single mode driver modded by a former member.
What surprised me was how much of a battery vampire this thing really is.
My Nautilus used to be my CR123 drainer and recently I installed the supposedly dead battery from the Nautilus into the Arc 4 and it lit up pretty bright for a dead cell and stayed lit for hours and hours.

Be-Seen Triker

Newly Enlightened

I've had some level of surprise in most of the lights I have received lately. Foremost is probably the 504B silver host. Probably the prettiest light in my collection so I bought a KAN-28 switch for it and a coated lens. And it now sports the GITD tailcap rubber.

Next surprise is the versatility of my little no-name zoomies. 18650 running Q5's. They are very compact and have performed flawlessly. I've thrown every battery in them and they all fit. I get no mode-changes even though they see a lot of vibration. I can't seem to beat them for their purpose as be-seen lighting for my recumbent trike.

Last but certainly not least was a unwelcome surprise at 1st but it turned out pretty darn good in the end. I got a V-Shark XM-L T6 that was seriously under driven... that was the sad part... but an upgrade to a 2.8A NANJG driver and the same quality KAN-28 switch turned this light into my best thrower yet. I think my wife has claimed it as her own :(

I'm in the process of upgrading my zoomies. One down! They make great hosts too :laughing:

jorgen

Enlightened

The beauty and utility of my Peak QTC Eiger.
I bought it because I wanted a brass flashlight, for some time, but, a single level light just wasn't a priority and I found the Peak options confusing. Along comes the QTC technology, which Curt was quick to adapt and adopt in his lights and suddenly Peak lights were much more interesting.
I my light from RMSK and the big surprise was the beautiful flood beam, which is as nice as I have ever seen. I am a fan of even illumination, and this light and my more recently purchased El Capitan are now my favorite in their category.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Interesting thread - great idea. My biggest surprise(s)? First: The $13 Fenix E01. Not that I should have been surprised - there have been many who shared their appreciation of this little light, but I confess that I was a bit of a snob. Shame on me. It's simple, cheap, bullet proof, and after the "Scout Treatment" (see here) it has a decent little beam.

Second: The Zebralight SC30W. How in the world do they do it? Small, great user interface, great beam, but the biggest surprise, how TOUGH this little bugger is. I beat the 'you-know-what' out of one over here, and it survived beautifully, and I still carry it. And the goodness carries over to their full line.

Incidentally, I'm interested in jorgen's comments as I have 3 Peaks on the way!

UPDATE - The 17500 momentary press QTC Logan is awesome, the AAA High CRI Stainless QTC Eiger is very awesome, but that 10180 Stainless QTC Eiger XPG is just astonishing. Oh, sure - the run time probably won't be much, but to see 210 lumen come out of that little keychain light is just amazing.

Last edited:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic

The never ending surprise to me is that after buying lights ranging from McGizmo's and Spy's, not to mention many, many Ra/HDS lights, my favorite beam pattern comes from the relatively inexpensive warm version of the Quark MiNi AA. Another big surprise comes every time I turn it on high, although that surprise comes second to the first time I turned my Draco on high out in the woods! :eek:

AutoTech

Enlightened

Interesting thread - great idea. My biggest surprise(s)? First: The $13 Fenix E01. Not that I should have been surprised - there have been many who shared their appreciation of this little light, but I confess that I was a bit of a snob. Shame on me. It's simple, cheap, bullet proof, and after the "Scout Treatment" (see here) it has a decent little beam.

Second: The Zebralight SC30W. How in the world do they do it? Small, great user interface, great beam, but the biggest surprise, how TOUGH this little bugger is. I beat the 'you-know-what' out of one over here, and it survived beautifully, and I still carry it. And the goodness carries over to their full line.

Incidentally, I'm interested in jorgen's comments as I have 3 Peaks on the way!

Read your torture thread the other day, very entertaining :thumbsup:

yowzer

Enlightened

Crelant 7G2-N. Not a light I would have considered buying, but I won it in a giveway at a CPF meet-up last spring and after using it a bit, like it a lot. Well built, bright, good beam with decent throw yet ample spill, good runtime. Crelant's first light, the AA-powered 7G1 got a few reviews, but this 2xCR123/18650 bigger version hasn't gotten any attention at all, and I don't think the company has put out any more lights since. Shame.

fl0t

Enlightened

The lights that have surprised me the most are: My first Surefire, which was a 6P incan. Wow! this light can throw and has tons of light for a 65 lumen light. Then I bought a Torchlab triple XP-G P60 drop-in, and till this day I still think: that is way too bright.
Also, the HDS Ra clicky, when I first grabbed it I thought: this thing is made to last 10 lifetimes!
I was surprised as well when I first opened my 4Sevens mini CR2. It is so tiny and has 180 lumen. It is truly a micro rocket.

I am not saying I was not impressed with the JB RRT-3 or the TK70. But I think that when I received both lights I was already prepared for the outcome.

But my first real surprise was with my very first real flashlight, a Fenix P1D-CE. I bought it on September 15th, 2009 for my birthday. When it arrived I had to wait 1 week until I got a CR123. The first time I turned it on I was so impressed... I knew that moment that flashaholism was going to be my next hobby.

Samy

Enlightened

My Fenix E01 - it's small and light and runs forever and is incredibly tough. Always there ready to go.

And recently my Zebralight SC51. I have always dismissed them because i thought they were ugly in photos but it's one of those lights that is actually really quite good looking in the flesh compared to pictures. The light output and quality of beam for it's size is simply amazing. I don't know how they do it! And the UI has been a real surprise, it's so natural and easy to use - i love it!

cheers

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast

Good surprises:
Malkoff MC-E Neutral: 400 lumens of flood. Lights up the whole field for a good 30 yards like daylight and objects are still visible up to 50 yards.

TK70: WHOA! I can see the trees at ~200 meters (I definitely need a range finder)

Neutral Surprise:
Last saturday I was on a lumens craving, so I set out to the field. Here my crazy config:
On my head: Fenix HP10 combined with the Fenix Headband and a Nitecore IFE2 + Fenix PD30
Around my neck: Zebra H51FW
On my belt (horizontal holsters): Predator and my Malkoff MC-E
On my backpack shoulder strap: Led Lenser M7R pointing down and set to flood
In my hands: TK70 and TK40
Everything was set on turbo and I felt like I didn't have enough light! My wallet is now thinking about running away...

Negative surprise:
The Nitecore IFE2 has only half the throw of my old PD30 R2

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic

Another big fan of the Zebralight (SC50w). Use around the house is a joy.

Geoff

varmint

Enlightened

Mine would be a Streamlight MicroStream AAA, I use it all the time, less than 1 AAA per month, great little light, I would strongly recommend this light.

whiteoakjoe

Enlightened

I was suprised with the ItP EOS and Olite EOS I purchased one of each, one AA and an AAA. Great little twisty lights at a great price point. Either of these lights will repalce a MiniMag and do everything better. and are 1/4 the size and weight.

AutoTech

Enlightened

I was suprised with the ItP EOS and Olite EOS I purchased one of each, one AA and an AAA. Great little twisty lights at a great price point. Either of these lights will repalce a MiniMag and do everything better. and are 1/4 the size and weight.

I've got an ITP A3 EOS 'upgraded' AAA light on my keys, superb little light and without doubt one of the most useful lights I've got.