Anything better than Fenix LD40?

igoman

Newly Enlightened
Is there a better flashlight than the LD40?
I am looking for a flashlight that uses 4AA batteries and is just brighter and would throw more than the LD40.
I was looking at the TK35, but it uses the CR123 batteries witch I don't like, and the TK41 just seems a little too big for me to carry it in a pocket all night(i dont own it,just assuming that from some pictures). I have no problems with LD40, fits nicely in the pocket. I like it, but I need more brightness.

HKJ

Flashaholic
I am looking for a flashlight that uses 4AA batteries and is just brighter and would throw more than the LD40.
I was looking at the TK35, but it uses the CR123 batteries witch I don't like, and the TK41 just seems a little too big for me to carry it in a pocket all night(i dont own it,just assuming that from some pictures). I have no problems with LD40, fits nicely in the pocket. I like it, but I need more brightness.

The obvious one to look at is the JetBeam PA40. You can see how it compares to a couple of lights in my beamshot.

igoman

Newly Enlightened
Thanks!
Missed these lights completly. JetBeam PA40 looks great, a little less throw than the LD40, but much more area light. One problem with the Sunwayman M40A-price:). The Jeatbeam is much cheaper.
Cant find side by side beamshots. Is the Sunwayman M40A worth the extra money, or is the beam comparable to the PA40?

igoman

Newly Enlightened
Great! They are really pushing the AA power supply to the limit.
I hope it wont be too expensive.
Perhaps Fenix will put something new out also.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks!
Missed these lights completly. JetBeam PA40 looks great, a little less throw than the LD40, but much more area light. One problem with the Sunwayman M40A-price:). The Jeatbeam is much cheaper.
Cant find side by side beamshots. Is the Sunwayman M40A worth the extra money, or is the beam comparable to the PA40?

I have all these. The M40A XML throws WAY farther than the PA40 and LD40. It is also WAY brighter than both. The M40A build quality is much better than both of those lights too. It IS worth the extra money. The throw, output, and build quality put the M40A in a completely different class. I measured the LD40 at just over 10,000 lux @ 1 meter while I measured the M40A at about 30,000 lux @ 1 meter. I have not measured the PA40 yet but it does not throw as far as the LD40. Make sure to get the M40A XML because there is an older version of the M40A that uses the MCE emitter which does not throws as far or have as much output as the XML version. If you are used to the LD40, you will be very impressed with the M40A XML while the PA40 is not a step up from the LD40 (IMO).

Last edited:

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check this out:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...iber-body)-Review-RUNTIMES-BEAMSHOTS-amp-more!

4AA-FL1-Summary.gif

PA40 - more light but also significantly less throw. It's bad because floody light doesn't appear as bright as it really is. In this chart M40A should have over 600lm and 30klux/1m. That's huge difference. I agree about quality - M40A is fantastic.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast

Led Lenser M14! hehe.. just kidding. Jetbeam PA40, the best replacement for your LD40.

Danielsan

Enlightened
I cant agree here, the sunwayman is a nice light but the PA40 is for me the more robust light and its more handy. Sunwayman is a huge tin while PA40 is much slimmer. The PA40 is a working horse for real abuse, it isnt beautiful but has composite warm and robust composite material, a battery indicator and really long runtimes. In case of Lumen it isnt as bright as the sunwayman but in reality only a few ppl need more lumen then the PA40, its more a show off thing i guess. Those two lights are very different, the sunwayman is alot wider and has a wider reflector for throw, if you need throw then get it because i guess its the only 4xAA light on the market? if you want a rugged outdoor light with great runtime then get the PA40 and if you want the smallest possible light then wait for the Q50. I wouldnt get the Fenix LD40, just because i would go for the newer XM-L

Latest posts