SS Preon Revo neutral XP-G mod

foxtrot824

Enlightened
I know they come in neutral tints but they are rare. I woke up this morning feeling like modding something and my Preon was the first thing I could find :)

I decided an XP-G R2 4K emitter would be good swap since the S2 is bright but kind of harsh to took at.

Using a special tool (vice and lineman's pliers) I opened the head which was sealed nicely but easily open. I reflowed the LED using the side of the iron because the MCPCB was so thin. The result was a pleasant beam in a comfortable warm tint. In the third image the head is being illuminated with a UV LED to exaggerate the warmth of the emitter. For color contrast an XM-L T6 based light is used for comparison of tints.

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
When the SS Prevo was first released, David "dared" someone to open up the head and take a look inside. Nobody was willing to. You might be the first person who's actually posted pictures of what the pill looks like!

I have to ask - did you put anything in that vice clamp to prevent it from scratching the finish? :eek:

foxtrot824

Enlightened
When the SS Prevo was first released, David "dared" someone to open up the head and take a look inside. Nobody was willing to. You might be the first person who's actually posted pictures of what the pill looks like!

I have to ask - did you put anything in that vice clamp to prevent it from scratching the finish? :eek:

I have to imagine that by now some one else must have opened on of these, I can't be the first one?

I didn't put ant thing in the vice but I did hold it by the brass for that picture. When I opened the head I gently clamped the vice on the flutes to hold it and used the teeth of the pliers to gently grip the brass and unscrew.

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really nice mod. Using my ReVO SS as a keychain-light since it came out and I really like that little light ;). Might consider this mod for myself when I can't stand the cold tint anymore.

rayman

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
Managed to crack open my SS Revo :party:

Used the same method posted by the OP but I used a scrap of leather
wrapped around the brass pill before twisting it with a pair of pliers
It did not require much effort

P1010191.jpg

Now to swap the emitter to a HiCRI XPG :thumbsup:

netprince

Enlightened
Dude, I'm jealous. I'm hoping to do the same to a copper maratac, perhaps that hold me over...

Managed to crack open my SS Revo :party:

Used the same method posted by the OP but I used a scrap of leather
wrapped around the brass pill before twisting it with a pair of pliers
It did not require much effort

P1010191.jpg

Now to swap the emitter to a HiCRI XPG :thumbsup:

Burgess

Flashaholic
Is there a Serial Number etched inside ? ? ?

David hinted about this, in his "teaser" threads.

lovecpf
_

bansuri

Enlightened
Mine was finger tight. Already neutral so no modding needed. Just tried my S2 version, finger tight also.
Neutral was ordered as soon as they were released, just got the S2 a month ago.
I think the small size gives less surface area for the Loctite to hold.