Newbie with E2E/L4 question

larpaul20

Newly Enlightened
Another newbie here with a question about the E2E/L4. But first I'd like to thank all of the regular posters and others who have made this the go-to place for flashlight info. With the info provided here, I was able to make my first informed purchase which consisted of a few Arc AAAs and the Arc LSH-P. Great lights! However, I'd like to step it up a notch in the throw dept and increased lighting departments and purchase either or both the E2E or L4.

I'm a bit confused though. If I read correctly, the L4 body and the E2E bodies are both the same. Now what I'm not clear on is this. If I were to purchase the L4, could I obtain and replace the head with an E2E bezel with the MNO3 and obtain the same results as if I had purchased an E2E or should I just buy both lights? It would be nice to have both lights with only one body and two interchangeable bezels.

Larry

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Larry,

There are probably a few E1e and E2e heads sitting in drawers. If you get a L4, you could get an Exe head and do just as you proposed. Behind the head, the L4 and E2e are the same in function. The L4 has a clickie switch whereas the current E2e do not. Buy the L4 and grab a separate E2e head.

- Don

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, you can play LEGO's with 'dem things. But since you asked, just buy both lights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif You may find however that the E2e bezel will be relegated to "inside the desk drawer" use. Mine has never seen the light of day since high power LED's became available.

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, too keep in the spirit of CPF...

BUY BOTH

But, you are correct in your deductions. It is also easier to obtain a bezel separately rather than a KL4, and the bezel also gives you TWO options with the L4 body. You can use the MN02 for 25 lumens and it will run a long time, or you can use the MN03 for 60 lumens and shorter runtime.

Also, the head from an E1e, E2e, or E2o will do. They are all the same head. Some will have the scalloped bezel, some will not.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buy the L4, later on buy an E1e & MN02 lamp.

That combo will give you the equivalant of an E2e, L4, E1e and the E1e/KL4 (what is quickly becoming known as the TW4).

GregR

E2E4ME

Newly Enlightened
Just to clarify, the E2E will throw a lot farther than the L4, but the L4 puts out a better wall of light at close distances. Both lights are excellent.

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
If you're after throw in a small 2x123 get a Pelican M-6 and then get an L4 for the high quality of a Surefire and a nicer beam. A Pelican M-6 cost less than an E2E bezel.

I recently got an L4 and the E2E went in the drawer. If I need throw and small size I break out the Pelican M6. It's not Surefire quality but it's output and runtime is very impressive for the money. It's has more power and quite a bit more throw than the E2E or L4.

The L4 has a decent throw but like others have said, it's more of an area light. It is also my current favorite and EDC.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
larpaul20,

If you're looking for throw and a whole lot of brightness, you might consider a G2, G2Z, C2, Z2, D2, or 6P light from surefire. These lights all can take the P61 high output lamp assembly (HOLA) and are only slightly bigger than the E2e or L4. Unfortunately, that extra size, even though it's only a little bit, makes them harder to EDC. But, even so, you might check out the SF G2Z. It's cheap (for a SF), has a pyrex lens, is light, is made of indestructible nitrolon polymer, and as mentioned will take the P61. Or, you could get a G2. Dan at Tactical Warehouse has them on special right now for $25! And if you want a deluxe G2, check out flashlightlens.com's moded G2's post in the Dealer's Corner forum. He put UCL glass lenses in them and is selling them for $40 shipped, which is really a great deal. You'd need to get the P61 separately on any of these lights, however. ($20 or so, I think)

But let me just say that the P61 is AWESOME! Talk about stepping up in the brightness and throw department. It really cranks out the light, and has a whole lot in the WOW department. Also you might consider the SF A2. Most people think that the beam on the E2e is superior in quality, however--smoother, whiter, etc. So there's that.

Buyer beware on all of this, however: I am one of those incany weirdos who actually prefers the light from an incandescent flashlight. Don't get me wrong! I love my Arcs, and I EDC an Arc LS. It's great that there's no bulb to break. But for me there's nothing quite like a high power incan light. I can light up things hundreds of feet away with my D2 w/ P61.

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or there is one idea that hasn't been brought up. Buy a clickie and a body from Dan at TW and have a second or third light depending on how many you have to start with I bought the E2e and the KL4 I ordered an extra MNO3. My reasoning being if I want a lot less light I will use my minim*g.I bought the surefires for their shock and awe factor.You wouldn't put 87 octane in a Porsche.

RevDavid

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Double_A said:
Buy the L4, later on buy an E1e & MN02 lamp.

That combo will give you the equivalant of an E2e, L4, E1e and the E1e/KL4 (what is quickly becoming known as the TW4).

GregR

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif Right on Greg...
This is definitely the most versatile addition to the L4 in terms of options. Plus, you might really like the TW4. I use it more now than either the L4 or the E2E.

David <><

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
May I add some confusion here? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif A McLux PR with a badboy will get you a 5W with throw. It is a DIY which may discourage you but somewhere down the road, this is a great project light that you can be proud to have in your collection. I just completed one of these babies last night and can't say enough accolades about it. The L4 just doesn't have the throw if that's what you're looking for.

CM

larpaul20

Newly Enlightened
Well, after spending the afternoon reading over the forum I've decided to get the L4 and then fork over $75 to this_is_nascar (if he is still offering the mod) for the turnkey E2E/P61 bezel mod or E2+ as it is now known. The L4 should satisfy my need for good, wide illumination from short to medium range while walking at night and the modded E2E bezel will take care of that occasional need to be awe struck or to illuminate passing satellites at night. With these and the Arc AAA and the Arc LHS-P in my arsenal, what else could a guy need. Let me see.....

Larry

RevDavid

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
larpaul20 said:
...what else could a guy need. Let me see.....

Larry

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sick.gif
Looks like a classic case of "Flashlight Fever."

We have good news and bad news for you.

The good news is: You can only get flashlight fever once.

The bad news is: It's incurable.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Welcome to the club.

David <><

paulr

Flashaholic
Larpaul, note that the P61 throws a huge wall of light but doesn't have much more throw than the P60. Its beam is wider but the center intensity is about the same. If you want to illuminate passing satellites, you'll do better with a McLux PR or a PM6.

larpaul20

Newly Enlightened
I thought about it a little more and decided that a newb like myself shouldn't go straight to the mods right off the bat. I should enjoy the ride. Sooo, I have followed RevDavid and GregR's advice. I ordered the Executive Package (L4 & E1E) from TW. Dan doesn't have the MN03 bulbs in stock right now and I forgot to ask about the MN02. He'll have the MN03 in about 3 weeks time. At that time, I'll order them both along with the battery spacer. I'm sure I can entertain myself with this package in the meantime.

Thanks to everyone for all the comments and suggestions. And yes RevDavid, I do have the fever and I'm afraid it's a rather bad case. I've liked flashlights all my life. I just didn't know there were others that liked them even more than myself. This is gonna be fun!

Larry

Latest posts