Balder BD-1 - A User's Review

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
INTRODUCTION

Balder is a new player in town to offer lights that cater to outdoor enthusiasts, military and law enforcement alike. The new company is founded in 2009 with staff having previous working experience with other flashlight manufacturers. Since then, Balder had been developing this pilot series - the BD2, BD4 and BD1, which have already started to hit the shelves.

I'm sure light-hearted jest will be made about the name, and no, it has nothing to do with the lack of follicles. In reference to that, "Balder" is actually referring to a Norse mythology, namely the "Norse god of light".

balderNordic.jpg

Balder, in Norse mythology, the son of the chief god Odin.

Ok, onto the light itself, the BD-1.

IMG_0594.jpg

Manufacturer's specifications & features:
- Dimension:*Head diameter 24mm, Tail diameter 24mm, length 106mm
- Cree XPG R5 LED
- Lumen and runtime:
Maximum output of 145 lumens for 1.5 hours
Minimum output of 6 lumens for 50 hours
- Material: Aircraft Aluminum Alloy T6061*
- Mil-Spec Type III Hard Anodized finish.
- Weight: 70g (without battery), 100g (with battery)
- Water proof to IPX-8 standard*
- Battery: single 14500 or AA (alkaline, NiMH)
- Interchangeable stainless steel bezel
- Reversible clip
- Broad input voltage (1.0V - 4.2V), current regulated
- Orange Peel Aluminum reflector
- Modes: High > Medium > Low.*
- Tactical switch for momentary on (Forward clicky)
- Anti-reverse protection
- Tail-standing capability

PACKAGING/ACCESSORIES

IMG_0546.jpg

The light came packed in a transparent and compact polypropylene box. As a flashaholic, I'm highly appreciative of boxes which lack extra flaps, tags, awkwardly large size, tags, odd shaped exterior etc. You'd understand where I'm coming from if you've been playing Jenga with those boxes in your storage space. Needless to say, it's easy to stash this empty box away, you can simply compress the box further after removing the light, or it can be used to contain other stuff for your bug out bag, survival kit, first aid kit etc.

IMG_0548.jpg

For the BD-1 package, it should come with:
1) BD-1 Flashlight
2) User Manual
3) Black HA Flat Bezel
4) 2 extra o-rings
5) Plastic Box Container

CONSTRUCTION

IMG_0567d.jpg

BD-1 consists of 5 parts: Bezel, head, mid-section, battery tube and tailcap. (clip not shown)

IMG_0560.jpg

1xAA Clickies L > R: Zebralight SC51 > Jetbeam BK135A > Jetbeam E3S > NiteCore D10 > NiteCore D11.2 > Sparl SL5 > NiteCore Defender Infinity > Quark AA Tactical > Xeno E03 > Sunwayman V10A > Jetbeam E3P > Jetbeam Jet-1 Pro V3 > Balder BD-1

The BD-1 is also the bigger and heavier brother of the AA family, this is due in part to the protruding SS bezel, thick body and a deep reflector for throw.

The impressive thick construction instils a confidence in its immunity to some serious external abuse. Here are some comparisons:

IMG_0563.jpg

L > R: Balder BD-1 > Sunwayman V10A > Quark AA Tactical > Xeno E03

It's distinctive appearance sets it apart from other lights, an appeal which I suspect some might find it highly subjective. On a side note, it reminded me of the Tasmanian Tiger, where the rear part of its body has the look of a tiger and the front half of the animal has the semblance of a hound. In a similar fashion, this light has the hybrid look of 2 lights.

The matt anodizing of the body and tailcap has good consistency but with a few microscopic parts missing from those typical spots; pointed ends of the crenelated tailcap. The threads are anodized so lock-out is possible.

Bridging the body and head is a bare (sand-blasted) aluminum mid-section which contains the light engine. It is also the vehicle for housing the reversible clip for bezel up application. On it's 3 fins are milled holes for aesthetic purposes, perhaps lanyard afficionados can have some fun with them. Contrary to its look, it does not cause any discomfort when the light is held and used.

The knurling on the head is one of the finest I've seen so far:

IMG_0571.jpg

The package comes with both HA Flat Bezel and a Stainless Steel Crenelated Bezel.

IMG_0557.jpg

SS Bezel

IMG_0558.jpg

Black HA Bezel

The head houses a smooth reflector with only a slightest hint of dimples. This reflector is deep which enables it to produce a considerable throw, perhaps the throw-iest AA R5 I've encountered so far.

BD-1 is able to use all types of AA batteries, namely primary, alkaline, eneloop and 14500. However, you will only experience its full potential and distinctive jump in output on 14500.

INTERFACE

BD-1 has 3 modes, high > med > low in a ramp down fashion. It does not have mode memory, so it's suitable for users who require their lights to come on high at first punch. It is also interesting to note that the light turns on with a quick, soft ramp for all 3 modes.

BEAMSHOTS

I've selected a popular EDC as a basis of comparison; the Zebralight SC51. Battery used for these shots: 14500

IMG_0596Control.jpg

Control: 1" F8.0 ISO400

HIGH
IMG_0597Zmax.jpg

Zebralight SC51

IMG_0598Bmax.jpg

BD-1

MEDIUM
IMG_0601Zmed.jpg

Zebralight SC51

IMG_0599Bmed.jpg

BD-1

LOW
IMG_0602Zlow.jpg

Zebralight SC51

IMG_0600Blow.jpg

BD-1

There is a piece of good news for neutral fans, Balder has informed me they will entertain individual request for emitter of choice.

USER EXPERIENCE

The forward clicky has a sensitive momentary, an advantage for easy mode switching. Yet for constant on, it requires, what I would consider, a perfect amount of force for activation. The light has a stable tailstanding feature that doesn't sacrifice the ease of activation via its protruding switch button.

I'm delighted with the throw it provides, considering it's a R5 XP-G. But of course it won't throw as well as another light with XR-E (with all things equal) or one with a bigger sized head like the Quark Turbo. The beam has a smooth spill with a distinctive white hot spot.

BD-1 offers a good and comfortable grip. Cigar grip is possible with the slimmer section of the body tube. Both ends of the light are crenelated, allowing it to be used as a kubotan if such a last-resort need arises.

From my sample, soft whining on all 3 modes is audible from a feet away, softest on low. However, this doesn't bother me at all.

Anodizing is love at first sight as it appears matt and thick. However, without any heavy usage, tiny flakes of it started to come off at a few edges of the tailcap.

The clip is a disapointment for the parts. It poses 2 problems during use; it dislodges easily although this makes it easier to switch the clip from bezel up to bezel down without the risk of scratching the HA. When the clip is attached to the tailcap for bezel down, it will scraped against the edge of the aluminum mid-section in the process of loosening tailcap to replace the battery. So I either have to lift the tip or remove the clip to unscrew the tailcap. Perhaps a shorter clip will solve this problem.

According to Balder, BD-1 has a built-in battery low voltage system where it'll blink every 5 seconds, probably the only AA light to implement such a feature at the moment. However, I've tested this feature on my sample by using an almost depleted battery of 3.3V. The output came on for about a minute and it was cut off abruptly because the battery's protection kicked in. No low battery warning system was displayed.

I'm not sure if this anomaly is related to the aforementioned low voltage warning system, but my sample also displays sporadic soft flickering on Hi using 14500, it's not noticeable till you stare at the beam for a couple for seconds. From a fully charged 14500, it starts to flicker after about 30 seconds. I've tested using 2 battery brands with the same result.

PMW is slightly visible on low and medium.

Waterproofing is effective through a series of rigorous shake and rigorous clicking submerged. No seepage has been found.

IMG_0553.jpg

BD-1 has candle mode, meaning it can tailstand AND the head can be removed for the emitter to cast ambient lighting although this is not advisable for using Hi output for a long runtime since exposure and a lack of additional heatsinking from head might cause harm to the emitter.

IN A NUTSHELL

PROS
- Considerable throw for an AA XP-G
- Neutral Emitter Request will be entertained
- Package comes with 2 bezels
- Thick, rugged Construction
- Candle Mode (Tailstand and Ambient)
- Battery (AA) Versatility
- Price

CONS
- Reversible Clip: Improvement needs to be made to strengthen the stress points and better tension in clamping. Or introduce an alternative method for attaching the clip.

SUBJECTIVE
- Design: A simpler design without the bells and whistles might be more appealing.
- Low Voltage Warning System is a big plus if it works.
- User Interface (UI): Hight to low is generally not a popular mode sequence (at least in CPF) as the first high mode might disrupt dark adapted vision.

IMG_0591.jpg

RECOMMENDED FOR
Outdoor enthusiasts who are looking for an affordable and rugged AA light.

BALDER BD-1 is provided by BALDER for this review.

Last edited:

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
That box is what arc welding rods come in lol. Talk about no frills packaging. Looks like they just looked around the machine shop and said, hey that'll fit a flashlight.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the quick review.

What's the function of the mid section? Or it is purely a cosmetic piece?

The mid-section contains the light engine. The groove on it is for the clip if you wish to have a bezel up configuration.

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very well done and thanks for the excellent review. Zeruel! :)

It looks very well made torch. Do you know which circuit is used between PWM & constant current for it?

Do you hear buzzing sound on any mode?

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
PMW, somewhat visible to the sensitive especially on Low and Medium.

Buzzing is audible for all modes, softest on Low. But it's not to the point of being bothersome.

campingnut

Enlightened
In the Redwoods just North of the Golden Gate
I just received my BD-1 and it really is a well made light. I did not read above (maybe I missed it :thinking: ) that you can go through all three modes quickly by slightly pressing the tail switch (momentary on). When you get to the mode you want, fully press the switch to stay at that mode. I do not like to have to turn a light on-off-on-off to get to a mode, so I consider this a better way to change levels.

On a side note, my packaging was missing the Black HA Flat Bezel and 2 extra o-rings (I wonder if anyone else has had theirs arrived this way). I will email the retailer from whom I purchased the light. Overall, a great addition to my collection of AA lights. :)

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received my BD-1 and it really is a well made light. I did not read above (maybe I missed it :thinking: ) that you can go through all three modes quickly by slightly pressing the tail switch (momentary on). When you get to the mode you want, fully press the switch to stay at that mode. I do not like to have to turn a light on-off-on-off to get to a mode, so I consider this a better way to change levels.

Perhaps I should have elaborate further, but it's briefly mentioned in the first paragraph under User Experience.

On a side note, my packaging was missing the Black HA Flat Bezel and 2 extra o-rings (I wonder if anyone else has had theirs arrived this way). I will email the retailer from whom I purchased the light. Overall, a great addition to my collection of AA lights. :)

Yes, it should come with both bezels.