Fenix E05 Tint Pic R2 vs R4

Streamer

Enlightened
Here's a quick tint comparo between Fenix E05 R2 & R4 if anybody is trying to decide which one to go for.

There is a definite difference in tint, but both lamps are GREAT! lovecpf

E05TINTS.jpg

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a quick tint comparo between Fenix E05 R2 & R4 if anybody is trying to decide which one to go for.

There is a definite difference in tint, but both lamps are GREAT! lovecpf
R2 and R4 do not indicate tint, they indicate brightness. While Fenix presently has a cooler tint n for the R4, that can change. The color (tint) of white lights will be a number like 0A or 1D. Behold:

Cree color bins in ANSI color space.

Streamer

Enlightened
Thank You for that clarification AAS.

Brightness aside, these are currently the ONLY 2 E05's offered by Fenix.
Perhaps I should have said the one on the left vs the one on the right.

I'm willing to bet Ragweed chose the R2 for its tint and not its brightness.

But, thank you AAS for the enlightenment. You are correct in the R value nomenclature and I shouldn't assign tint values to brightness indicators.

But I think all understand what I was trying to get across.

Harry999

Enlightened
Streamer,

I have been on the fence about getting one of these for my key chain. That has just changed. I now definitely will be getting an EO5 R2. I'm off to place my order now...

Thank you for helping me make my decision!

Regards

Harry

Streamer

Enlightened
Hi Harry. I posted this up today coz I hadn't seen any beam shots of the two versions of E05 offered to date.

The pic above was taken about 7 inches from a white wall.
Even at that short range, it shows the floodier characteristic of the R4.

Glad to help you decide. :)

Last edited:

TheStar

Newly Enlightened
Glad I found this thread. My iTP A3 just died and I'm looking for a replacement. Amazon lists the Fenix E05 R2 as 27 lumens and the iTP A3 as 80 lumens. Is the iTP much brighter vs the Fenix?

ragweed

Enlightened
The iTP should be twice as bright IMO. Other than that I would go with the E05 R2 as it is plenty bright for me. I have one light at 10 lumens & one at 20 lumens & don't notice that much except, the 20 is slightly brighter. Around 30 vs 80 lumens you should see a big difference though. I am real happy with the E05 as it handles my needs perfectly!

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix does not put the exact same tinted emitter into every E05 with an XRE R2 and they don't put the exact same tinted emitter into every E05 with an XPG R4. They buy a range of tint bins for both variants of the E05. That means you can buy an XPG R4 E05 with a tint that looks like the R2 in this picture or an XRE R2 E05 with a tint that looks like the R4 in this picture. Fenix does not use the same tint in every light.

As already stated R2 and R4 are efficiency bins which have nothing to do with tint (or tint bins). If you wanted an exact tint you would have to order an E05 XPG R4 1B but Fenix does not allow you to order a specific tint bin.

Last edited:

8kGoodEnuff

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know where one can buy the E05 R4?

I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Thank you.