Angryfox        

Thread: Sun ray xml-t6 not very impressive

Default Sun ray xml-t6 not very impressive

I bought it off ebay, supposed to be 1000 lumens, but i dont think its even close. It has a p60 drop in with a xml emitter, but its barely brighter than my streamlight with a xre emitter at ten feet, and it has no throw. It throws about 100 yards tops with no real beam just flood. The SL blows it out of the water.

Default Re: Sun ray xml-t6 not very impressive

You should have bought one of the "3800-4300" lumen models with three emitters... They're super fun on the cheap if you're lucky enough to get a good one!

Quote Originally Posted by shao.fu.tzer View Post
    You should have bought one of the "3800-4300" lumen models with three emitters... They're super fun on the cheap if you're lucky enough to get a good one!
    Yea, i figured a thousand lumens would be brighter than my 200 lumen SL even if it wasnt focused as well, but i was wrong, maybe the driver isnt pushing 3A, idk, all i do no is its a p60 drop in.

First problem, you bought it off Ebay and the 2nd one would be that unless someone has engineered the p60 drop-in with some good contact to the host walls the output will suffer the longer it runs.

Have you checked the current to the led?

The XM-L requires precise focus adjustment and in a smaller reflector will not have the tight spot due to the larger footprint.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroz View Post
    First problem, you bought it off Ebay and the 2nd one would be that unless someone has engineered the p60 drop-in with some good contact to the host walls the output will suffer the longer it runs.

Have you checked the current to the led?

The XM-L requires precise focus adjustment and in a smaller reflector will not have the tight spot due to the larger footprint.
    The drop in actually does have good contact with the wall. I havnt checked the current because my soldering iron broke, i do have to unhook the wire to check right?

Unhook what wire? Just remove the tailcap and substitute the probes...making sure your polarity is correct. Current in a circuit is measured in series with the load. I guess if you're wanting to measure at the led you would have to warm up the iron....but it's not really necessary.
    Last edited by lightfooted; 09-18-2011 at 09:06 PM.

I've noticed that while XM-L's have higher output, their beam is in between flood and spot so it doesn't seem as bright. I just picked up an Olight M20-X with a XM-L and tested it against my 6P with a XP-G drop in. At about 25', the light intensity is about the same but the 6P is about 5' in diameter while the M20-X is about 15-20'. The 6P drop-in is rated at 320 lumens and the M20-X is rated at 500 lumens. I think the XM-L beam pattern is much more useful for my needs but I can see where a spot light would be useful.

Quote Originally Posted by lightfooted View Post
    Unhook what wire? Just remove the tailcap and substitute the probes...making sure your polarity is correct. Current in a circuit is measured in series with the load. I guess if you're wanting to measure at the led you would have to warm up the iron....but it's not really necessary.
    Checkinf the current at the tailcap would be different than checking it between the driver and led module. The drop in module is pulling 650mA with a 6V supply, and 1000mA with a 3.8V supply. This means the drop in is only pulling 3.8watts. But the foward voltage is 3.35V right on the money for 10watts. This has me puzzled.

I just checked the current to the led, and its only 1A. I sent a message to the seller, but dont expect it to go very far. I knew it wasnt bright enough to be 1000 lumens, oh well it was only 23 usd.lol

I just got the 4000lm version and WOW is it bright!! I cant wait for dusk so I can test it out. I got it for my Bestman's as his groomsmen gift.
    Collecting is not about what you have but rather what you DONT have . . . yet.
    ABTOMAT: "Newer Surefire lights strike me as the result of CNC programmers saying to each other "Hold my beer and watch THIS."

I wander if I can put a new driver in the drop in