Flashlight For New Officer

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems like one of the popular threads on here is suggesting a flashlight for a new officer. Now it is my turn. I haven't been as active with this particular forum as I have in the past. Anyway, my new employer is taking me shopping. Here is the URL for the http://www.policehq.com/ for the store. Now IF I have any input on what I buy, what would people suggest from Streichers? It looks like they carry: Streamlight, Surefire. Inova, Pelican, 5.11 Tactical, Quiqlite, and Bianchi. This will be primarily a belt flashlight rather than one that is left in a vehicle. As I look at those brands Bianchi is listed, but I don't think any lights have been sold under that name for a long time. (Does anybody here remember B-Lites?) Also, the Quiglite is sort of a niche' light. The 5.11 Tactical isn't up my alley for this application, so really we are down to:

-Streamlight

-Surefire

-Inova

-Pelican

I prefer LED and that is why I posted it here.

Imon

Enlightened
Besides for their weapon-mountable lights I've never really been a fan of Streamlight lights for "tactical" use. I've owned and currently own quite a few Streamlights and I have to say that they're pretty far down on my list of lights I'd grab in an emergency situation. For example the Streamlight PT2L leaves a lot to be desired - the construction of the flashlight doesn't exactly inspire confidence, particularly the thinness of the body, and the UI is not user friendly. The Polytac is OK but nothing special and the Sidewinder was a bit disappointing. Overall though Streamlight is a great company - I don't want to make it seem like they make garbage because they don't.

As for Surefire if your employer buys for you that's great :p
The 6P, C2, Z2 are all great. The E1B is a decent little light too as is the E2DL although there are a lot of sharp points :( (which is why I stopped carrying mine after a few days)
My personal favorite is my LX2 but that light is expensive (I got mine for a great deal).

Inova lights are well built but I'm not as familiar with these....

As for Pelican lights I think it comes down to the Pelican 7060 doesn't it? I heard it's a pretty good light.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Consider a rechargeable light, as you'll be able to "top off" the battery before each shift, instead of trying to guess how much power is left in a primary battery. My recommendations are Maglite ML125, Streamlight Stinger DS LED, or Streamlight Strion LED. Here's the link to my article that compares the leading rechargeable tactical lights:

http://www.led-resource.com/2011/02/rechargeable-led-flashlight-reviews-and-comparison/

Besides for their weapon-mountable lights I've never really been a fan of Streamlight lights for "tactical" use. I've owned and currently own quite a few Streamlights and I have to say that they're pretty far down on my list of lights I'd grab in an emergency situation. For example the Streamlight PT2L leaves a lot to be desired - the construction of the flashlight doesn't exactly inspire confidence, particularly the thinness of the body, and the UI is not user friendly. The Polytac is OK but nothing special and the Sidewinder was a bit disappointing. Overall though Streamlight is a great company - I don't want to make it seem like they make garbage because they don't.
The ProTac series isn't really designed to be a primary light. They're small and light, making them good backup lights.

As for Pelican lights I think it comes down to the Pelican 7060 doesn't it? I heard it's a pretty good light.
The 7060 is decent, but has some significant drawbacks. It is single output, the switches are stiff (could be pro or con, personally, I find it too stiff), and takes up to 4-5 hours to charge (compared to the average 2-3 hours). Even still, I still end up carrying the 7060 quite often because of its octagonal shape, meaning that it does not roll away when set on an incline. I work in IT, so I frequently set down lights, making this a big plus.

The other option, Pelican 8060, is similar to the ML125. Difference is that it is single mode, has cradle charge, and uses 4 C-cell (even longer than ML125).

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
Give him a smaller, lighter tactical thrower with at least 200 lumens and two modes. If he's new to the job, he's most likely on probation which means that he will probably be forced to carry as much stock equipment as possible for the first six months, so something discrete would be perfect. Weight is also to be considered, as even the fewest of the ounces can tire out someone who's working a 12-hour shift.

If the light can take rechargeables, that's even better since he doesn't have to spend money on batteries. However, cops don't have their lights activated all the time, unless there is some sort of catastrophy, so primary cells usually last a while for them.

I gave a Maelstrom G5 S2 edition to a friend who joined NYPD a while ago, and he loves it. Whenever he uses it, people keep telling him to stop pointing it in their faces, all the while he's pointing it down the road. Another cop carries around a T20C2 MkII that I gave away and he thinks it's the cat's ***. I also gave a Scorpion V2 with stock head to a local cop who joined the force a few months ago, which he immediately fell in love with, and recently had a chance to use it on someone who was trying to stir up trouble, but quickly surrendered upon facing down a handheld sun. The funny part of this story is, he told me, that after the incident he thought, "Well, that was easy." He then proceeded to check why everything went so "easy" and then realized that he couldn't see anything properly for the next several minutes.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I noticed some of the Streamlights they sell are the older generation, there are newer models available so that is a bit of a bummer. The Surefire link on their site seems to be broken but if they sell the Surefire 6PX or 6PX Pro that would be a good choice.

FPSRelic

Enlightened
There was a LEO who trialed both the Surefire LX2 and E2DL as a LEO light. It turns out he preferred the E2DL over the LX2 for the User Interface:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?254378-Final-mini-review-of-LEO-SF-E2DL-w-pic

From the pics, I think he's using a Pelican 7060 as a primary (rechargable) light.

According to Pelican here:
http://pelican.com/lights_detail.php?recordID=7060

This is the standard issue light of the LAPD. I think I remember reading somewhere that it was comissioned to replace the club like 4d cell lights after the LA riots as a PR excercise.

Erzengel

Enlightened
The problem with Surefire is, that they don't offer decent rechargeable lights at the moment. The new rechargeables in their 2011 catalogue look very promising, but nobody knows when they will be available.

Quiksilver

Enlightened
1. Surefire Z2-S CombatLight

http://www.policehq.com/Products/LP-Z2S

2. Surefire E1B Backup

http://www.policehq.com/Products/LP-E1B

--

Get your employer to purchase one of the above, and purchase the second on your own.

Then, budget for a weaponlight, pistol-mounted. Surefire X series (X300, etc) seem to be popular. Expensive but never seen a bad review about them.

--

Don't forget a few boxes of CR123 cells. :)

Also, don't forget a speed holster. Some holsters have an integrated system for carrying spare cells as well.

Enjoy the new light!

Last edited:

ravens70

Newly Enlightened
LEO here. I have used the majority of the Surefire, Streamlight and Pelican (not knowledgeable on the Inova). Anyways my suggestion is to go somewhere or find someone that has these lights and play with them. Like the one person said about the Pelican 7060 that the button is a little stiff. That is true on mine but it doesn't bother me. I would definitively do with a two light combo. The set up I have used (I am a flashaholic so my keeps changing) is the 7060 on my belt and a e1b in my cargo pocket. Sometimes the Pt2L or E2Dl would go in my cargo pocket. I just wanted something inside my pocket in case my rechargeable would crap on me for unforeseen reasons. If the 7060 is a bit big for your duty-belt liking the Surefire 6PX and G2X dual output models, the Streamlight Stinger DS or Strion. I have done this setup as well (with a small light in my cargo pocket. Current setup is the Olight M20S-X with a Jetbeam BC20 in my pocket and a Fenix TK35 in the car). If you don't have to stick with the website you posted, explore other options with of flashlight manufactures. Thanks to CPF I have learned about companies like Fenix, Jetbeam and Olight to name a few (also names divorce lawyers with all the flashlights the wifey sees me buying). Anyways this forum is a wealth of knowledge and I always come here first to see of "reviews" of any new flashlights I might want to buy.

dosei-45

Newly Enlightened
Surefire Z2-S with a V85A light carrier and a box of batteries.

(Then I'd order myself a Zebralight H31Fw to keep clipped in my pocket.)

PhillyRube

Enlightened
There are a bunch of great lights out there, but stay away from the Streamlight SL20X family. The hot wire versions are ok, and upgrade nicely with a Terralux dropin, but battery life is just plain **** poor!! The light goes in and out of the charger several times a night, but it seems the battery packs, composed of sub-C nicads in a shrink pack, don't last at all. They are also expensive. My agency issues them to the officers, along with a Surefire G2Z as a belt light. We are currently evaluating several other lights to combine them. I am looking at getting several sub-C NiMH cells and making my own battery packs for the 3 SL lights I have.

A good light is the Tigerlight, which has an OC dispensor in the base. I have had one for many years, and recently upgraded the bulb to a Terralux dropin that fits the SL20s. Great light and a little sting if needed.

UberLumens

Newly Enlightened
For Duty use an e2dl

Surefire E2DL:
-starts in high mode because when you grab it you usually need high first
-also has low for paperwork in the field
-small yet easy to use with large hands

but as raven70 suggested go to a store and play with a few to find your preference

(weapon lights are dedicated use tools to me at least, so another conversation)

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carried a Magcharger, a Streamlight Ultra Stinger 75,000 candlepower, and a Streamlight Stinger LED for 24 years in law enforcement. They never let me down. Very durable and very reliable. I didn't realize that there were this many good flashlights out there on the market.

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if they will ever switch to a lithium ion battery stick for the Streamlight Stinger DS LED?

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if they will ever switch to a lithium ion battery stick for the Streamlight Stinger DS LED?
I don't think it's possible without breaking family commonality. If you want lithium-ion, check out the Strion LED.

One benefit of nickel-based batteries is that they tend to last longer (with proper care) than lithium-ion. NiCd/NiMH are rated by cycles, so charge less frequently, and only when the light starts to dim. Lithium-ion degrades more with time, so charge cycle isn't as important.

Grizzlyb

Enlightened
LEO here,
IMHO You should consider going to an other shop.
This shop have no suitable lights for the modern police officer.
The big lights are a outdated. Don't go for them, they will stay in the Car or at the station.
Choose a Tactical Light that can be used on your Belt.
The modern lights are powerfully enough for the job with 1 x 18650 battery.
Search for a light with a back switch (momentary) and NOT a side switch.
Top output at least above 350lm ANSI, Low output somewhere 20lm ANSI or lower and must have a Strobe (with memory)
Tail stand possibility,
Very Reliable, like the Fenix, Jetbeam, Olights or Sunwayman lights.
Surefire, Inova, Pelican and Streamlight, as far as I know, have no lights that meats those demands.

(these observations are from research with LEO's in Europe, experience for LEO's in the USA can be different)

Last edited: