maglite XL flashlights?

appliancejunk

Enlightened
I like the size and feel of the maglite XL50 and 100.

I see now that there is a XL200 out, nice!

My problem with the XL series is there seems to be battery drain even when the light is off.

I had been using the XL50 light as a maintenance tech, shift work with 5 days on, 5 days off, 12 hours days.

If my XL50 light was becoming dim at the end of my 5 day shift I would often come back to my locker 5 days later to find the light dead, even thought it had never been used in the last 5 days.

I have many other LED lights that the batteries could just about be dead, but I could not use the light for a month or more and come back to it as still usable.

Last edited:

WriteAway

Newly Enlightened
I bought my first XL50 about 8 months ago, and it's still going with the original Duracell AAA batteries in it. The output has dimmed to about 60% of the full power, but is still more than enough for non-tactical average user use. XL100s are going on clearance at some Target stores, and the XL200 is now available online and retail. It sounds like the battery drain might not be a serious issue for you. Others have their perspectives on the XL50, but I like mine enough to buy a second.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I live the size and feel of the maglite XL50 and 100.

I see now that there is a XL200 out, nice!

My problem with the XL series is there seems to be battery drain even when the light is off.

I had been using the XL50 light as a maintenance tech, shift work with 5 days on, 5 days off, 12 hours days.

If my XL50 light was becoming dim at the end of my 5 day shift I would often come back to my locker 5 days later to find the light dead, even thought it had never been used in the last 5 days.

I have many other LED lights that the batteries could just about be dead, but I could not use the light for a month or more and come back to it as still usable.

there must be something wrong with yours if it kills set of batteries in 5 days, i have xl100 and xl200, both have batterys in them for months, they come on just fine, i notice no huge parassitic drain problems.

appliancejunk

Enlightened
there must be something wrong with yours if it kills set of batteries in 5 days,

Sorry if I did not make myself clear. The batteries are often die after my light sits in my locker not being used for five days, but when I put it in my locker the batteries where really week to start with.

I get a lot of use out of the batteries before that point, it's just that once there are near dead forget about storing it that way and returning to use it.

hwc

Newly Enlightened
Most of these LED lights have circuitry that shuts them off completely when the battery falls below a certain voltage. You don't say what kind of batteries you are using, but NiMH rechargeables will continue to self-discharge while sitting whether or not they are in a flashlight. I'm not surprised that a nearly dead set of batteries would be completely dead after a week.

appliancejunk

Enlightened
I was using cheap disposable batteries for sure, as the company I worked for at the time supplied the batteries.
I no longer use the XL in that fashion and it now sits on my night stand with some duracell batteries in it.

Not sure if it will act the same way or not as it will be hard to compare it to the way I had been using it before.

In any case I like the light. :)

Retinator

Enlightened
Lately I've been using my XL100 more and I've been killing a set of batteries every 2 weeks or so.

On frequent use, it dims fairly quickly in my opinion. AAA's don't have much a charge.

As for parasitic drain, it's barely noticable in my use.

For heavier use, use NiMH's, just get 2 sets one backup, 3 sets if you think you'll really need them. For a XL200 I'd recommend rechargables for many ppl

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
The standby drain is 33.1 µA (or 0.0331 mA), so it's insignificant unless your batteries are almost dead. These lights are fairly high drain compared to 5mm LED lights, so you should replace the batteries when it starts dimming. Otherwise, it won't turn on because battery voltage is too low.

If you get an XL200, the problem will be worse unless you use NiMH or lithium AAA. That light draws nearly twice as much current as the XL50 and XL100.

Aftrburnr

Newly Enlightened
Earlier in this thread it was mentioned "the XL200 is now available online and retail." Where would you find an XL200 in a retail store? Only places I've seen so far has been online ordering. Where would be a good place to order XL200 online? Might like to try one out.

Thanks!

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should be able to find them in sporting goods stores such as Bass Pro, and online, Amazon has them for a good price.

Zeppert

Enlightened
I'm in the market for one of these XL200's also. Amazon has a great price. Seems like a lot of goodies in this one little package

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both 100 and 200, 200 is a bit brighter, but not "OMG" brighter, it is also cooler, rebel has warmer tint, modes are identical, only way to access them is different

jorges2000

Newly Enlightened
I'm thinking of picking up the xl200 but stuck between the 5.11L1 and the streamlight pt 2l. Someone help me decide.

GForGeep

Newly Enlightened
jorges2000 said:
I'm thinking of picking up the xl200 but stuck between the 5.11L1 and the streamlight pt 2l. Someone help me decide.

I would purchase all three :)
It would be nice if there was a retail store where you can test the flashlights before you buy them

Megacam

Newly Enlightened
the xl200 is a great light. Very bright with many options (also a nice low dim). Nice UI. For the price it's hard to find a better bang for the buck IMO. Plus it's made in the USA.

ginaz

Enlightened
i love my 200. has me really looking forward to the mag-tac

jorges2000

Newly Enlightened
It would be nice if there was a retail store where you can test the flashlights before you buy them

One of my local stores carries all the 5.11 lights as well as many streamlights. I have gone there to try them out but I'm still undecided. Flashlights love them and hate them. : )

jorges2000

Newly Enlightened

One of my local stores carries all the 5.11 lights as well as many streamlights. I have gone there to try them out but I'm still undecided. Flashlights love them and hate them. : )

GForGeep

Newly Enlightened

i'm jealous, is it close to Los Angeles, CA?