Why Does A Flashlight Have To Look Good ?

Spin

Enlightened
In various reviews, etc., the authors will state that a light "looks good". I have a different outlook. My interest is only the efficiency & capability of the light that i purchase. The fact that the appearance is ugly would not alter my purchase. A light to me is a tool & sometimes a toy. Good engineering, reliability & cost to me far exceeds the "looks" of the light. From a sales point of view appearances are important. In my practical point of view appearances are meaningless.

nbp

Flashaholic
It doesn't HAVE to look good. But it's certainly a plus. And I think it says something about the overall quality and design. If the light is atrocious looking, I am immediately suspicious that they didn't put much thought into the insides either. It may not be the case, but it gives that impression.

damn_hammer

Enlightened
for some the value of an object is based in part on the amount enjoyment it gives the owner. if looking at the flashlights form is enjoyable the value is increased. a strange question really. do you not understand why there are different types of cars when they all provide viable transportation?

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree that function is very important for a flashlight. However, if a flashlight can combine both form and function, it's a winner in my books.

Your question can be applied to many other items as well:

* Clothes are initially designed to keep us warm, but people still spend $$$$ on high fashion clothes. This may be important to some and not important to others.

* Knives are designed for cutting. However, many of us want a beautiful custom made knife.

* Watches are used to tell time. Many people spend thousands of dollars to buy a mechanical watch that is less accurate than a regular Casio G-shock

* Guns are made for shooting, but it doesn't stop people from getting ivory handles.

* Cars are meant for commuting. Some choose Kia other choose BMW.

CamoNinja

Enlightened
So that it appeals to the average consumer. Kinda like most hunters who think you have to have the latest scent lok suit or you wont see a deer.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Humans, shallow as we are, often make decisions based on our initial reaction to things and since we usually see a flashlight before we have the opportunity to use the flashlight, we're more likely to be interested in something that looks attractive in the absence of other information or as a tie-breaker.

That said, a more educated eye learns to look for features that indicate that the light feels good or performs well. To an educated eye, lights that look like they are comfortable to hold, have effective knurling (or whatever), and sufficient mass in the head and body for sinking heat from the emitter look more attractive than lights that look flimsy, awkward, and slippery.

The more you learn about what you like, the more your idea of a good looking light will be shaped by what you like in a light.

--flatline

fl0t

Enlightened
Due to the nature of flashaholism as a hobby, we are already covering the practical part of the light, which is its functionality and advanced practical features. That is basically the reason why all of us are here at CPF, because we want more light and features than an average low cost flashlight can give.
Having covered that part, we are also paying much more money than a regular flashlight costs, so might as well make it beautiful. I would like to think of it as customer satisfaction, just because that is not the important part but it is a plus.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
* Cars are meant for commuting. Some choose Kia other choose BMW.

Exactly. The current range of Kia's are a damn sight better looking than the current BMW's. But which would you prefer to drive into a tree?

Danielsan

Enlightened
I would say a shelf queen light have to look good, its a must, i would never use them for working. There purpose is justvto make me happy when looking at it and feel the solidness and exotic materials in my hand etc. A light for work must be totally focused, forms follows function... like the PA40.

dandism

Enlightened
In various reviews, etc., the authors will state that a light "looks good". I have a different outlook. My interest is only the efficiency & capability of the light that i purchase. The fact that the appearance is ugly would not alter my purchase. A light to me is a tool & sometimes a toy. Good engineering, reliability & cost to me far exceeds the "looks" of the light. From a sales point of view appearances are important. In my practical point of view appearances are meaningless.

Great, you have your own opinion. :)
*pats you on the back*

Imon

Enlightened
I hear people say all the time that appearance doesn't matter when it comes to a "tool" but I think everybody is, if only subtly or unconsciously, affected.

If the iPhone didn't look the way it did I'd doubt it'd have as many user as it has now.

fyrstormer

Banned
Why does a woman have to be attractive? I have a different outlook. My only interest is having someone to keep me company, say interesting things, pay half the bills, and bear my children. Etc etc etc...

...except that things which make a woman (or a man) attractive usually are functional, with a few notable and often-made-fun-of exceptions. It's the same with anything, whether a flashlight or a car or a person or a poisonous mushroom: that which is important to its functional effectiveness is the most refined, and after you learn about what makes something functional, you learn to appreciate the refined apperance of those features which make exceptional things more effective than the rest. In the case of a flashlight, it's usually crisp knurling or grip-rings on the body, a well-sculpted tailcap that allows for tailstanding while keeping the switch easily-accessible, a lense with a premium-grade anti-reflective coating, a head that can effectively dissipate heat, etc etc etc.

For the most part, people learn what makes a flashlight work well and outstanding examples of those features become their understanding of what the ideal flashlight should look like. And just as with selecting a mate, everyone's preference is a little different as per their own needs. For various and probably not entirely logical reasons, some people like to see certain features exaggerated beyond the minimum necessary for proper functioning, perhaps because it reflects a strength to match a weakness they sense in themselves. (in my case, I really like titanium lights, because I know I drop things on concrete and I always feel like an idiot for it, but titanium barely shows even the worst carelessness.) Good-looking flashlights aren't all tritium vials and nickel-plating; that's just the icing on the cake.

Last edited:

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
For various and probably not entirely logical reasons, some people like to see certain features exaggerated beyond the minimum necessary for proper functioning

There's a whole industry dedicated to that! :poke:

Maybe the OP should take solace in his lack of intrest in aesthetics - it'll probably save him a lot of money! I know I've wasted a few $$ on shiny, pretty things (my wife included!)

TomH

Newly Enlightened
Exactly. The current range of Kia's are a damn sight better looking than the current BMW's. But which would you prefer to drive into a tree?

Neither! But nowadays, the Kia will protect you in a crash just as well as the BMW does, if not better.

fyrstormer

Banned
There's a whole industry dedicated to that! :poke:

Maybe the OP should take solace in his lack of intrest in aesthetics - it'll probably save him a lot of money! I know I've wasted a few $$ on shiny, pretty things (my wife included!)
Heh. Not sure whether you're referring to fancy flashlights or plastic surgeons. In regards to the former, at least, I don't think there's a whole lot of fluff in the flashlight industry, at least not among the more respected brands. If anything, there's probably many more flashlights that have features inadequate for proper functioning, as opposed to exaggerated beyond the minimum necessary for proper functioning. Regarding plastic surgeons, well, I have to agree with you there.

JacobJones

Enlightened
Appearance matters to me, i want things to look like quality. If you spend a lot of money on something it should look expensive. And to me torches aren't just for using to look at things they are themseles for looking at, but I don't buy things just to look at, things must have a purpose aswell.