(Video) pleasantly surprised with Fenix E21 - compare PD31 and Stanley HID

energythoughts

Newly Enlightened
I bought the E21 to replace an emergency light for the car.. I wanted something simple my wife could use without too many modes, as well as use a standard battery type (AA). Christmas is coming up and I think I will be buying more of these for my non-flashaholic family and friends. Not sure there is anything significantly better out there at this price point.. (High quality, great output, minimal modes, AA battery) if there is let me know.

http://youtu.be/ipa1IT7Xg80

This video I compared it to the PD31.. pretty much the only reason is because I thought it was interesting that the intensity and distance specs were very close between the two.. sure the PD31 has twice the lumens (delta is in the spill), but looking at the numbers the hot spot should be the same brightness and it should throw the same distance:

Intensity:
PD31 - 4918 cd
E21 - 4510 cd
Distance:
PD31 - 140 m
E21 - 134 m

Output is double though:
PD31 - 304 lm
E21 - 150 lm

The forward clicky with momentary on is a nice bonus too with the E21. Overall I like the E21 for the car.. I'll be keeping two Energizer Lithiums in it for long term storage as well as freezing conditions.

Dreamaster

Newly Enlightened
Looks really good! I did a comparison between the Surefire E2DL and the EagleTac P20c2 XM-L with similar results (EagleTac has way more light, but the Surefire out-throws it by over 50 yards.) Opposite price points though, Surefire makes you pay out the nose for that throw. :)