Maglite 2C ML100...hands on

elumen8

Enlightened
I bought a new Mag ML100, so I thought I'd post some thoughts and pics of the new 2C-cell LED flashlight...nothing scientific or technical.

The first thing I noticed when I picked up the unopened package was the longer and narrower head assembly. I also spotted the smaller clicky button and dimple. The packaging has a stated 137 Lumens. Then the printing caught my eye..."Personalize for Quick Access to Your Preferred Functions"....now isn't this gonna be fun.

Taking the light out, you feel the same solid build of any other C-cell Mag. The new 2C LED light is just slightly longer than the previous 2C incan version. It holds nicely in the hand. Looking down the business end of the light, I see the Cree XP-E that they are using in their latest MagLeds. The new sleeker head assembly is quite nice. Then I started twisting the head assembly to play with the focusing action...you know the one that turns a laser-like beam into a huge funky donut hole of light. The main body of the head assembly was twisting but the bezel was not turning along with it. I thought to myself "well that's odd". The main section of the head twists and the LED moves up and down but the bezel remains stationary. I tried to remove the entire head assembly but no amount of unscrewing would make it come off. I unscrewed the bezel and out came the lens and newly designed reflector. The main head assembly is somehow attached to the barrel of the light and adjusts the focusing in a new way. I didn't have the guts to try to disassemble it any further. There is some kind of metal retaining ring along the bezel thread section. It also looks like there might be some better heatsinking on the LED assembly.

I pressed down on the now smaller power button expecting to hear the traditional clicky spring sound but got none. It looks like Mag is using the same electronic switch they have in their XL series of lights. I like the reponse of the switch, a slight push with a soft click or pop sound.

I put in the included batteries (without reading the instructions, of course). The thing did not light up. So I quickly grabbed the instructions and learned all about the functions and usage, thinking that maybe you have to program it the first time out of the packaging. Here comes the fun stuff. There are five different functions and a total of four different function sets. Each function is activated by the number of clicks pressed on the switch. Programming the the function set is amazingly simple. slightly unscrew the tailcap, hold down the switch, rescrew the tailcap and count the number of flashes...one through four.

The five functions are:
1) Full Power
2) Power Save (Low)
3) Strobe
4) SOS
5) Momentary (yeah you read right, momentary on the ML series electronic switches...unfortunately not on the XL series lights)

The four function sets are:
1) One click = Full Power. Two clicks = Low. Three clicks = Strobe
2) One click = Full Power. Two clicks = Low. Three clicks = SOS
3) One click = Momentary. Two clicks = Full Power. Three clicks = Low
4) One click = Momentary. Two clicks = Full Power. Three clicks = Strobe (my favorite)

After reading the instructions the light still wouldn't turn on. Suddenly it dawned on me...I can be so stupid. I remove the tailcap and put the batteries in correctly. thank goodness for reverse polarity protection. haha

Turning on the light gives me what I expected, pretty much the same exact beam as the 2D magled. There's not much else to say other than it has a very usable beam for probably the majority of buyers walking into a brick & mortar looking for a reliable flashlight. I've always enjoyed the laser-like throw that a mag puts out. Not the brightest or floodiest light but it has great throw.

Pressing down the switch the desired number of times cycles through the various functions very smoothly. I use the momentary most often. The Power Save or Low really isn't a large enough difference in lumens. There is a very slight humming sound when the light is on. The focusing from flood to pinpoint is like any other Mag...nothing special.

Overall, I really like this new light. Not the brightest light on the block but immensely usable in the real world.

I don't have any beamshot, runtimes or current readings...but here are a few pics.

-JB

Brand spanking new
ML100Packaging1.jpg

Sleeker looking design
MagML1001.jpg

Looking down the business end
Thebusinessend1.jpg

Already rolled off the top of my Jeep and onto the concrete
Justfell1.jpg

Comparing the length of the 2C LED with the 2C incan
NewandOldML1001.jpg

The 2C incan and the 2C LED bezels removed
oldandnewapart1.jpg

New reflector on the right
ML100reflector1.jpg

The difference in size between the 2C LED and the 2C incan
oldandnew21.jpg

Comparing the LED assembly on the 2C LED and the 2D LED on the right. This pic
is deceiving because the head assembly isn't completely off on the ML100 on the left.
ML100comparingheatsinking1.jpg

Comparing the lengths between the 2C incan, 2C LED and the 2D LED
Old2Cnew2Cnew2D1.jpg

Just a few new friends
somenewfriends1.jpg

-JB

Last edited:

UberLumens

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for pics and review.

Does the incan head and reflector fit on the led body?

elumen8

Enlightened
Does the incan head and reflector fit on the led body?

No. The Led version head assembly has been completely redesigned. The main body of the head doesn't seem to screw onto the body of the flashlight itself. It seems to be attached to a mount that allows it to spin freely around the barrel of the light. This allows it to move the LED in and out for the beam adjustment. The new reflector design no longer uses a cam lobe to move the emitter assembly.

Dont forget Novatacs Did that before, dont remember if the HDS EDC did too but Novatacs have momentary with electronic switch.

I only meant to say that the Maglite 2C ML series electronic switch now has momentary, not that it hasn't been done before. I was just pleasantly surprised because none of the current Mag XL series lights with electronic switches have incorporated a momentary function. I'll edit the post to reflect that.

-JB

Last edited:

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dont forget Novatacs Did that before, dont remember if the HDS EDC did too but Novatacs have momentary with electronic switch.

The HDS Clicky has momentary as long as you don't need to make your flash less than 1/3 of a second. If you need it faster than 1/3 of a second, then you have to double-click instead.

--flatline

Retinator

Enlightened
Awww crap, another battery type to add............ X(

Looks good though. Nice to see Mag stepping things up.

Hope they'll be in Canada for Xmas

elumen8

Enlightened
That reflector looks the same as an old incan with no cam. Bummer, I thought it would have the new Rebel style reflector.

I just went out and shined the new 2C XP-E light along with a 2D XP-E MagLed down our darkened tree lined street. It held its own against the larger 2D reflector. They designed this smaller reflector to throw very well.

What's the head diameter? It appears to be much thinner walled, and maybe a 40mm diameter.
I wonder if a DBS reflector will fit.

A quick measurement showed it to be 45mm.

-JB

elumen8

Enlightened
Okay, where did you pick this up at? Looks like I may have to get one to play with. Will you be bringing this to the GTG?

I got it at the Surplus store on Stevens Creek. I'll bring it to the San Jose get-together on the 1st. I really like the multi-modes on this thing, so I'll keep it this way...but I also like the sleeker head design, so maybe we can figure out a mod for another ML100 host.

The new head assembly looks like it might have its own internal cam mechanism that raises and lowers the LED pill. I'm hesitant to be the first to tear it apart.

-JB

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you removed the head? Push it up and turn the head and knurled ring together. Just a little bit is enough, then release pressure. Keep turning until the head gets loose and slides down (only about 1/8th of a turn is needed in total). Once the head is off, you can align the beam. The two rings are for focusing (top ring) and alignment (bottom ring). The alignment ring should be pushed up or down, not twisted like the focusing ring.

From there, I would advise putting the head back on and not messing with it any further. ;) Adjusting the alignment ring should be in the manual (at least for the ML125...my ML100 hasn't arrived yet).

Last edited:

elumen8

Enlightened
Have you removed the head?

I haven't removed the entire head...yet. I like the sleeker look of the new C-cell head, so I'm going to get another ML100 and tear that one apart for a new Mag mod. I'm a fan of C-cell bodied lights. I want to keep this one intact because its serial number 820.

-JB

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
I mean the lower part of the head. If you slide it off, you'll quickly realize that the light isn't going to be very easy to disassemble. :crazy:

BTW, it says 106 on the LED module, right?

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
The four function sets are:
1) One click = Full Power. Two clicks = Low. Three clicks = Strobe
2) One click = Full Power. Two clicks = Low. Three clicks = SOS
3) One click = Momentary. Two clicks = Full Power. Three clicks = Low
4) One click = Momentary. Two clicks = Full Power. Three clicks = Strobe (my favorite)

Now are these full clicks, or just touches (I'm wondering if a full click turns it off at any point, or if once you turn it on, then you have to cycle through all levels in that function set before it turns off)?