Olight SR 90 questions and concerns

Mr.Dude

Newly Enlightened
Just received a "brand new" Olight Sr 90 Intimidator in the mail yesterday. Have a few minor issues that stand out to me and wanted to see if this is normal for such an expensive light, or it's something I should send back because of them.

First, after running the light on for 70 minutes on high mode to test out its runtime, I noticed a small 1/2 inch diameter condensation spot formed in the middle of inside of the lens. This did not go away fully until the next morning, today. I tested this in a stable environment inside my house, nothing extreme or humid outdoors.

Second, after running the right in high mode for 30 minutes and checking the battery indicator to see how many green LEDs I had left, none of them lit up anymore, but the light continued to run for another 40 minutes on high. Now, the battery pack had all green lights when I got it, and according to the instruction manual, no led lights means less than 20 percent charge left, but then how could that still run the light for 40 more minutes at high mode, a mode for which total runtime is said to be 80 minutes on a full charge?

Finally, the light itself is slightly different than advertised on every website when you look to buy one or when someone on you tube or even here at CPF did a review on it. The bezel seal/silicone ring for the lens is red, instead of the black I've seen everywhere else. The charger transformer module is also a more simple looking, and lacks a vertical "tilde" looking line on the face of the charger. This is not a problem for me, but wanted to at least know if this a model variation (perhaps an earlier one) that is still sold to consumers and is equally qualitative, or are these features used to identify a salesman sample that maybe I might have been shipped? I tried to do an image search of the model name on google, but nothing showed up showing the red bezel seal and plain-looking charger variation that I have.

Hopefully other fellow Olight owner could help me with any ideas or suggestions; I'm nervous about spending $450 for something that could be a lemon
Thank you

easilyled

Flashaholic
I can perhaps reassure you on 2 issues:-

1) The newer models of SR90 have the red silicon seal in keeping with the standard for all the new Olight lights
2) Very high-power led lights quite often manifest in condensation on the inside of the lens. AFAIK, this is not indicative of any problem relating to water-resistance.

uknewbie

Banned
Hi,

My SR90 has a red o-ring too, and it does on many pictures on website selling it.

I have never noticed condensation inside after extended use. May do this but not that I have ever seen.

Were you using the battery indicator with the light off? It will not give accurate readings if the light is on or charging.

Mr.Dude

Newly Enlightened
No, I tested the battery indicator after shutting off the light and giving it a brief rest period, based on what the instruction manual warns about inaccurate readings. But even then, none lit up anymore, as if the battery was drained, after only 20 mins on high. It ran, of course, for another hour almost before shutting off. Feel free to try this on your light if you've got the time-fully charge the battery, then run it on high for only 20-30 mins, and see if any of the led's light up anymore. I'm really curios if just mine did it, or if this is a widespread production flaw.

uknewbie

Banned
No, I tested the battery indicator after shutting off the light and giving it a brief rest period, based on what the instruction manual warns about inaccurate readings. But even then, none lit up anymore, as if the battery was drained, after only 20 mins on high. It ran, of course, for another hour almost before shutting off. Feel free to try this on your light if you've got the time-fully charge the battery, then run it on high for only 20-30 mins, and see if any of the led's light up anymore. I'm really curios if just mine did it, or if this is a widespread production flaw.

OK will try it with mine and let you know.

uknewbie

Banned
Fully charged my SR90, 4 green lights.
Ran it for 20 minutes - 3 green lights.
Ran it for another 40 minutes (60min total) - 0 lights.

So 60 minutes run time is what, 75% of the total quoted of 80 minutes, so 25% capacity left, should show one light, but showed none (less than 20%)

Bear in mind though that not only are the times quoted always somewhat out, the power indicator is just that, an indicator. It will never be 100% accurate. So it could be that the indicator is not that accurate, or that the light does not quite achieve the full 80 minutes on high.

Going to try a total runtime test on high when it charges back up, just out of curiosity. Although I know it lasted 60 minutes with no noticeable dimming at all, will try it again and see how long it goes until it either shuts off or dims noticeably.

Mr.Dude

Newly Enlightened
Uknewbie, thanks for your little experiement; I have in the meantime sent the light back and received an adequate replacement-adequate in the sense that the battery indicator does work this time, and will not shut off after only 20 mins of use. that was my main concern, not really the +/- 5 % which is something so small i don't even care. FYI, my runtime on high lasted for 87 mins in 30 min intervals with brief cooling period inbetween, so slightly above the manufacturer's specification-pretty impressive. After that, the just will shut off, not really dim down like my Fenix TK 45

Steve'O

Newly Enlightened
The red lense seal on your sr90 should glow a pale green at night when you switch the light off.
Strange but true !

uknewbie

Banned
Uknewbie, thanks for your little experiement; I have in the meantime sent the light back and received an adequate replacement-adequate in the sense that the battery indicator does work this time, and will not shut off after only 20 mins of use. that was my main concern, not really the +/- 5 % which is something so small i don't even care. FYI, my runtime on high lasted for 87 mins in 30 min intervals with brief cooling period inbetween, so slightly above the manufacturer's specification-pretty impressive. After that, the just will shut off, not really dim down like my Fenix TK 45

OK cool, glad to hear you got it worked out. I will try a runtime test non-stop, with a fan for cooling.

uknewbie

Banned
Well I just ran my SR90 non-stop from full battery and it lasted 80 minutes 23 seconds.

Spot on with Olights claims.

Kept it cool off and on with a fan, and the light did not appear to dim at all that I could see with my eyes.

Mr.Dude

Newly Enlightened
Yes, i find the green glowing ring seal a neat and possible useful feature as well; overall the SR 90 is a great piece of engineering and technology to have;
the next hurdle is figuring out how to take with me internationally when I fly, whether in carry on or checked baggege

uknewbie

Banned
LOVE THE RING!!!

SR90GlowRing.jpg

Smile-1.jpg

Also, other GITD stuff...

GITD.jpg