What luxeon in KL1

Michael Hansen

Newly Enlightened
Hi

What kind off luxeon is in the KL1 head if i would change it to a better one.

I want a r3 HD if i can get my hand on one..

Michael

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
the lux is a LD. No body knows on the flux rating, but the color is around 4 to 5 (most of them, anyway)

If you want to upgrade your lux, provided the current availability on the market, you mostly able to upgrade it to a better bin. An R3 is certainly the best (1W) lux that is available there

McGizmo

Flashaholic
The stock LED is a high flux batwing. You can be sure there are Q's and R's used but if you want to get a different color or go for the different beam of the HD then the change would make sense.

- Don

Michael Hansen

Newly Enlightened
What is ment was:
Do i need a bare emitter or star ect. ?

i am new to all this /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Q's and R's ?
wow, did they upgrade? I thought they used mostly P's and Q's ...
bernhard

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got an R2H in my KL1. It really rocks at 6V. I want to take the head off and put the Fraen LP optics in it, but I can't seem to get it apart. I think it's been re-sealed. Damn nice mod well executed. If I were to do it myself, I would have searched out an R3 rather than an R2, but I guess they're tough to get hold of.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Michael,

First of all, why do you want to change it. Is it not bright enough? Do you not like the beam pattern? Do you not like the color of the light?

If it is all of the above, you can go with a high dome luxeon. You'll need one on a star. To stay cost effective, I'd go with one of the Q3J's that are readily available these days. I think Hotbeam is still selling them in B/S/T. I currently have three KL1's. One with a Q3J, one with an R2K and one with an R2H. Of the 3, the R2H is the least bright with the R2K being the most bright and the Q3J being the most white. The differences in brightness are only noticeable when comparing the lights side by side.

If you want your light to retain its all around usefulness, I'd stick with the NX-05 optic that's in there already. It provides for a good throw with a high dome and still has a good amount of sidespill. If you want throw, go with the low profile fraen. It's all throw with no sidespill. It doesn't have a needle beam, but it just isn't a good up close optic. You will however get the most brightness out of a fraen. They just seem to be more efficient than the NX-05. If you want to use your KL1 as an up close light only, you could go with a McFlood reflector. Almost no throw, but will put up a wall of light at close distances.

You can do a search for KL1 and HD to find alot of info on modding KL1's with beam shots and how to's.