Nailbender Linger, High CRI (XP-G), current owners care to comment?

brembo

Enlightened
I am considering the mentioned dropin for a 6P that is getting bored for 18650 cell use. The light will likely end up with some Shao-tech GITD diffuser film as well, I want flood. My only concern is that the output will be limited, not in lumens but in runtime on a single 18650. The specs on the NB Linger state 3.6-6v while in regulation, and I assume the module goes into direct drive below 3.6. What kind of runtime can I expect to see without doing undue harm to my spendy AW cells? Is there a comparable Malkoff dropin? The current run of Malkoff is 80 CRI, BUT I could use two 18350s and potentially keep the light in regulation longer (right?). Mainly I'm curious about this high (90+) CRI business, wanna see what has so many people all stirred up.

archimedes

Flashaholic
.... Is there a comparable Malkoff dropin? ....

I don't know anything about the NB Linger, but can tell you about the Malkoff M61HCRI .... Illumination Supply has these now for pre-order (I purchased from a prior run), and it is awesome. Specs are listed as 3000K & 90CRI - it is quite warm and renders color very well. It really does look incandescent. Voltage is 3.4-9v. I'm not sure about runtime on Li-Ion, but it is listed as 2 hours regulated on 2xCR123A, then drops out to a direct drive fade. Lumens aren't listed, but it is reasonably bright (though much less than a standard M61, of course).

I run this in a stock C2 and have been extremely pleased :)

Last edited:

Viper715

Enlightened
I also have the M61HCRI and it is a very good drop in. Great runtime wide voltage range and absolutely beautiful beam. I highly recommend it.

Regarding the NB linger special. NB has the XPG 90 CRI LEDs and can put them in the Linger. Your runtimes will be about an hour on a 2900 mah AW as the linger is driven at 2.8 Amps. But you can have multiple levels. Bothe NB and Malkoff are good drop ins and it just depends on your intended purpose. If you want more brightness and a floodier beam then the NB is the right choice. If runtime and the ability to use a wider range of batteries I would say go with the Malkoff.

brembo

Enlightened
Hmmm, didn't see the HCRI Malkoff while nosing around. 3 hours useful runtime on 2-123s, not bad. I have a whole wad of RCRs, the module plays well with 9 volts. Seeing possibilities here. I could skip the boring and just live with the RCRs or a 17670. Still, boring it and getting a sleeve for emergency primary usage......gah! So many options.

One more question,

How does the M61HCRI perform with ceiling bounce? My ceilings are one step shinier than eggshell and white. This lights main duty is going to be getting dressed and getting out of the house. I live in the sticks and it's pitch black once the sun goes down.

Nokoff

Enlightened
good point about the levels...

I have a NB Linger 90+ hi cri and Dave lists it over 500 lumens as I recall, though I don't always need that so I make my own runtimes depending on what levels I switch between, I do a lot of switching for various needs. You have one level with the Malkoff regardless of battery choices, so runtime is more or almost totally battery dependent.

Tommygun45

Enlightened
+1 on the hicri Malkoff. I love mine. Have it in an e1e body with the vme head. You can always just get an MD2 body with a hi/lo switch. I am sure Gene, if he had them, would be willing to swap out the regular M61 that comes with them for an M61hicri. They are awesome and the customer service is unbeatable. As far as lumens its around 125 probably. Not crazy bright but it lights up a room alright on a ceiling bounce.