looking for new 1xaa edc

fannin

Enlightened
hi guys

i am looking for a new 1xaa edc light to replace my ld10 r5, i like the ld10 but much prefer the ld20, i find it just works better in that configuration

i would prefer something that is brighter on max and lower on low, and preferably smaller but that is not a deal breaker, the ld10 is just about small enough

i have been considering the zl sc51 but i read a while a go that there was a new zl 1xaa light coming out that was going to be much brighter but i can't find any info about it

the other light i have looked at is the thrunite neutron 1a, both this and the zl have very low lows

is there a 300 lumen 1xaa zebralight coming out or did i imagine it, if i imagined it then i suppose i am considering the sc51, i don't want a neutral version unless the tint is very obnoxious.? i definitely like the small size of the zl over the size of the neuton, how do the zl and neutron compare in quality? i would prefer a brighter xml i guess

i only use eneloop and eneloop type nimh's

thanks a lot

Last edited:

Quality

Newly Enlightened
According to Zebralight there is the "T5" a 1 x AA, XM-L, 300 lumen light coming out Q4 2011. If you're willing to wait to see what that's all about go for it, but it may be awhile.

If you don't really want to wait I think you'd be very happy with a SC51. Or an SC5.

Wrecked

Enlightened
According to Zebralight there is the "T5" a 1 x AA, XM-L, 300 lumen light coming out Q4 2011. If you're willing to wait to see what that's all about go for it, but it may be awhile.

If you don't really want to wait I think you'd be very happy with a SC51. Or an SC5.

+1

fannin

Enlightened
thanks guys, i hadn't heard of the sc5, is it just the same as the sc51 but with less modes?

also, the sc51 is optimized for nimh right? is the new t5 300 lumen going to be 300 lumen with nimh or other batteries?

zebralight rather than neutron 1a then?

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Huh. I never noticed that T5 before. 300 lumens from an AA cell? That is just crazy if they can pull it off. A little over a year ago it took an 18650 to get 300 lumens OTF. Too bad it has a tail switch as opposed to the traditional Zebralight side switch. I will be floored if they can get 300 OTF lumens from a single AA eneloop cell.

Anyway, right now your best bet is an SC51. Thrunite ruined the Neutron beam with a new coating on the reflector. There is a link to my beam shots of the newly revised Neutron on the bottom my post here: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...bralight-q50&p=3750560&viewfull=1#post3750560

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
the SC51 or H51 seem perfect.
smaller, brighter, much lower. and perfect with nimh cells.

is the T5 is model that takes cr123 and AA? if so it will be thicker than the SC51 or H51.
the bigger reflector on it will probably work better for the larger XM-L emitter too.

i received an email from ZL this morning, and it said those new models will be releasing in a few days.
so waiting for some reviews on those will be worth it.

i feel the machining quality and anodizing for the newer ZL are very good. i dare say better than fenix.
but remember these are very compact lights too.

Quality

Newly Enlightened
is the T5 is model that takes cr123 and AA? if so it will be thicker than the SC51 or H51.
the bigger reflector on it will probably work better for the larger XM-L emitter too.

No that's the SC80 that you're thinking of. The T5 has very little details available right now, but I have my own ideas of what it might be.

All we really know is that its 300 lumens max, runs on AA, and has an electronic tail clicky.

I think it might be 300lm "turbo mode" like the SC600 750lm mode. Perhaps 300lm for the first 5 minutes and then a step down to 200.

Deal4

Enlightened
Wow! 300 lumens from a single AA enelooop!!!?
I have got to find out more about this T5!
Huh, a ZL with a tailswitch. Interesting.

fannin

Enlightened
jeez man i haven't been able to get onto cpf for hours, thanks for all your replies

looks like a zl then, i cant find the sc5 anywhere, don't know if it's not out yet, i might wait for the t5 IF it won't be bigger than the fenix ld10 (will it be bigger than the sc51?)and IF the 300 lumens is with an eneloop, otherwise i'll probably go with an sc51 or sc5 if i can find it (is it even out yet?)

is the sc5 really that much more simple than the sc51? i would like the very low moonlight mode, does it have that?

one more thing, i want it to be as bright as possible and i prefer a beam as white as possible so i'm not looking to get a neutral version, does anybody have the cool white sc51 and if so how is the tint? purple and green are unacceptable to me

thanks so much

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
My SC51 has a very slight green tint, but I find it acceptable (and I hate the really green XP-Gs that some lights have). I like my ZLs very much, but do remember to unscrew the tailcap to avoid accidental "hot pocket" syndrome (the switch is very light in operation).

If you go the the ZL web site and press on the "Compare All Models" button you will find lots of info about both current and future lights.

Last edited:

fannin

Enlightened
My SC51 has a very slight green tint, but I find it acceptable (and I hate the really green XP-Gs that some lights have). I like my ZLs very much, but do remember to unscrew the tailcap to avoid accidental "hot pocket" syndrome (the switch is very light in operation).

If you go the the ZL web site and press on the "Compare All Models" button you will find lots of info about both current and future lights.
thanks

it looks like the sc5 doesn't have the moonlight mode so i may prefer the sc51, i guess if i don't want a less bright neutral version it's probably going to be a tint lottery like everything else with xpg, i wish it had the xml

has anybody from the united kingdom bought direct from the zebralight website?

thanks again

Tsportmat

Newly Enlightened
thanks

it looks like the sc5 doesn't have the moonlight mode so i may prefer the sc51, i guess if i don't want a less bright neutral version it's probably going to be a tint lottery like everything else with xpg, i wish it had the xml

has anybody from the united kingdom bought direct from the zebralight website?

thanks again

Yup, not got here yet as I only ordered last week - I'll let you know what happens. You can get the SC51 off the 'bay, but I wanted SC51w, so had to ship from US (free shipping worldwide means £40 shipped, unless the Royal Mail give me a nice surprise when it arrives...).

fannin

Enlightened
Yup, not got here yet as I only ordered last week - I'll let you know what happens. You can get the SC51 off the 'bay, but I wanted SC51w, so had to ship from US (free shipping worldwide means £40 shipped, unless the Royal Mail give me a nice surprise when it arrives...).

yeah that's what i wanted to know, if you get hit with extra RM charges when it arrives, yeah if you could let me know what happens i would be really grateful

Tsportmat

Newly Enlightened
The SC51w arrived - no import tax! Probably because it shipped from China. Only took about about a week and a half (7-8 working days).

energythoughts

Newly Enlightened
I'm in the same boat.. looking for a replacement for my LD10 R5. I absolutely love my LD10 with its solid build quality, beam quality & color, but now that I've used a 14500 in it, it's very hard to go back to an Eneloop. The output is so bright I don't need to go for my larger lights in many cases. The only problem is all of the low modes are gone..... So I've been using my ThruNite 1A much more.. with a 14500 it's amazingly bright plus it still has the moonlight (0.09 lm) mode which I use pretty often. Problem with the ThruNite is the build quality is pretty lousy (head wobble, 14500 doesn't fit properly, squishy clicky etc), plus I like the size of the LD10 much better.

I looked at the ZL SC51, but hesitated due to the "hot pocket" syndrome (yes I can back off tail cap 1/4, but not sure how I feel about doing that every time), and the low is brighter than the 1A.. (.2 vs .09 - yes I'm ridiculous). Also the biggest factor from what I've read here on CPF is that the ZL don't play nice with 14500 Li-ion batteries. I love the additional output from the 14500.

So for me it looks like either the new Jetbeam RRT0 (will play with one this week, but thinks it will be too big for EDC) or the new ZL SC80 or T5 if I give up the 14500. That T5 looks interesting. USA origin too.. curious about that

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you use Eneloops, like I do, the SC51 is GREAT. I have an SC51w and I love it. I solve the hot-pocket syndrome by glueing a thin ring around the switch. I've used it like this for two weeks [pocket carry] and it hasn't come one once unintentionally.

Accidential Activation Eliminationhttp://imageshack.us

I've been thinking about an XML light also, but I'm not sure you would really get any advantage from them with a single AA power source. I have an 18650-powered XML light and it's awesome, but with a single AA I think the XPG is probably as good. The SC51 is optimized for an Eneloop and the output and runtimes are fantastic. The light looks better in person than it does in pictures.

Thrifty

Last edited: