G2 and Malkoff problem.....suggestions?

vrocco

Newly Enlightened
OK I am a bit mystified over this and I am hoping someone can help me out. I have a Surefire P6L and a G2L. I bought Malkoff M61 dropins for both. In the 6P, it looks amazing, but in the G2, it looks horrible. Barely any output at all when compared to the 6P.

First I thought I got a bad M61. So I switched them. Same results. I put the dropin in a second 6P I had, it was fine. Then I thought possibly the G2 had a bad clicky switch (both lights have McClicky switches installed), so I switched them. Same results.

They are both running off Surefire primaries, so it's not a voltage difference (I know Malkoff is regulated anyway, but who knows).

Does anyone have any suggestions? I was under the impression that these 2 lights are basically the same except the G2 is plastic and 6P is metal, right?

archimedes

Flashaholic
My understanding is that the Malkoff dropins are specifically *not* designed to be used with the Nitrolon bodied SureFires. I can't recall the exact info from Gene's website, but I think the primary concern was adequate heat-sinking. From your description above, apparently there may also be electrical path issues....

vrocco

Newly Enlightened
Hmmm.....the only thing I saw about that on the Malkoff site was that they were not meant to be operated for long periods of time in lights with Nitrolon heads because of overheating. This is not an issue, because the G2L has the metal head. I didn't see anything on the site about electrical paths and from the website:

"It was designed specifically for use in Malkoff MD2, Elzetta ZFL-M60, and SureFire 6P, 6Z, C2, M2 and G2 flashlights."

archimedes

Flashaholic
Yes, you are correct, they do list the G-series as compatible (I couldn't check earlier, from my cell-phone). Perhaps you could try cleaning the contact points in your G2? It certainly seems like some kind of electrical path problem.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a Malkoff dropin in a G2 all the time. It's an old beat-up G2 so people are always surprised at how bright it is. I've added a McClicky switch. The difference is that I put an aluminum Surefire head on the light to help transfer the heat and make good electrical contact. I've never had any trouble with it. Yours should work, but until you change the head, I'd keep in on for short periods of time only. (Heat can damage an LED).

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Out of the gate, a Malkoff should be just as bright in a G2 as in a 6P's. Anything less is some kind of connectivity issue. The key G/P difference is that G's don't have a natural electrical path. SF puts a metal tube inside that connects the drop in with the switch. But this sleeve does not provide as good a contact surface (top or bottom). It sounds like this is your issue.

If you don't have another G body to play with, check the top and bottom of this 'inner tube'. You want to make sure the top, for example, makes full contact with the outer shell of the Malkoff.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with EG.

i have a G2Z, and with certain drop-ins i would have to bend/tweak the spring so that it makes contact with the metal sleeve in the body.

it sounds like its not making full or enough contact. maybe try out a conductive spacer. such as cutting a spring so that its only a ring. solder wire will also do the trick to isolate the problem.