"Bat Signal" beamshots (LED Aspherics and low cloud cover)

Techjunkie

Enlightened
in the brightly lit suburbs of NYC (Long Island)
I wasn't sure where to put this, but considering the beamshots were taken with two of my aspheric LED Mag mods, I figure this is as good a place as any...

We had a low ceiling tonight on Long Island, and I missed the really damp part of the night, which would have been better for beamshots like in my avatar ('cause my wife was out with the camera), but when she got back, I grabbed these two bat-signal-esque long exposure shots.

XM-L @ 5A, DX 12834
IMG_9477.jpg

SST-90 @ 8.4A, DX 12834
IMG_9478.jpg

We've seen some big HIDs paint the clouds before, but that doesn't take any of the fun out of what these standard size LED aspherics can do, especially on nights like tonight.

Post your beamshots here!
\/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice beamshots ;). Do you also got the aspherical lens from KD for comparison?

rayman

Techjunkie

Enlightened
in the brightly lit suburbs of NYC (Long Island)
Nice beamshots ;). Do you also got the aspherical lens from KD for comparison?

rayman
I had it for a very long time, but I recently sold it. IMO, the KD lens is great for the unique dome/angle of the XR-E, but not as good for other emitter types like the two above. The DX lens is harder to focus in a Maglite, because of it's longer focal length. (You have to recess the LED within the neck, like with a Rebel reflector.) It does give a tighter focus and a smaller die image, even with the XR-E.

what diameter asphere did you use?
It's a 50mm lens from DealExtreme, sku 12834