Lumintop L1C Went Swimming

DaveAnderson

Newly Enlightened
Two nights ago I was inspired by some other videos that I've run across on the good old Interwebs. I was thinking about my new Lumintop and wondering if this little light could be relied apon for some upcoming hiking/hunting/fishing trips. So that lead to the great idea of proving my light would hold up - before getting out into the wilderness :).

So when evening arrived it was about 60 degrees outside and the kids and I decided to hop into the pool. Now don't worry about me (the heater was on and the water was a balmy 90*F) worry about the flashlight. With much intrepidation, I brought the light into the water and clicked it on. Whalla - it worked flawlessley. I did take it of the water to losen the head to switch modes, but it survived a good 20 minutes of swiming.

After a while I was feeling confident in the test and the kids decided it would be a good idea to use the light as a "dive stick". So the light proceeded to fly from one end of the pool to the other and splash down to the depths (or as close as 5 1/2 ft. comes to depths). It is pretty cool to see your light go flipping through the air and then splash and twirl round and round (like a helocopter blade) down to the bottom of the pool.

Over I was very please. The light held up to more water than I will probably every experience in the real world. It also did pretty well with being tossed around - until one of the kids missed the water and chucked it up against the aluminum fence and down the concrete. :( The stainless stee crown on the head and the stainless steel ring on the tail cap provided excellent protection and you can hardly notice any additional wear.

My little Lumintop L1C is a beast. Still ticking along nicely - despite the abuse. :)

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sometimes a little initial abuse is good to test out a light you'll be depending on. Even the best brands can fail on you, best to weed out that probability early on. It would suck if you babied a nice light only to have it fail on you in a critical moment.

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just make sure that the head isn't loosened for mode change when something like that happens. Some idiot destroyed my beloved TD-15 that way, taking it for a swim and deciding that it would be a wonderful idea to activate the strobe by loosening the head underwater.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I have the same Lumintop L1C and it too has seen its share of abuse. It can take a lot of punishment both from falls and being soaked in water and under heavy rains.

My only advise to make sure the o-rings are well lubed with non-petroleum based lubricants and youre good to go. Be careful of the rubber boot coz its a bit thin and with wear might compromise the water-tightness of the light. Beware also of dents on the aluminum behind the SS Bezel, could be a leak issue.

How fantastic our next-generation lights are, huh? :) Come a long way since the days of the Maglite. :)