Quark X - PWM?

pinetree89

Enlightened
I just received a new Quark X 123^2 Tactical. I'm starting to suspect 4Sevens may have changed the circuit and it's no longer current regulated but uses PWM. Here's why I think this may be true.

- I was using my Quark X today to inspect some fans on some equipment at work. I noticed that the fan appeared to be moving very slow, although when I moved the light away the blades became non visible. This is typical behavior on my lights with known PWM (Preon, Mini AA, Olight i1).

- If I listen very very closely at the head of the light while it's on I hear the buzzing/humming that I can on my PWM lights, even on Max.

- Very little tint shift. I was very amazed at the tint of my new Quark X. It was very cool white, and very cool white on all levels including the lower levels.

- When on medium mode, I sometimes think I can detect the flashing out of the corner of my eye.

When I compare this with my other 2 XP-G Quarks none the above listed behaviors hold true. I know these behaviors are all subjective and may not hold true for everyone. I can't say I have any hard evidence.

I checked the 4Sevens website and they're still advertising the Quark as current regulated, however I wonder if that was just a cut and paste job when they released the Quark X's.

Anyway, it's a great light, I have no intentions of ever parting with with it and would buy another in a heartbeat if I ever lost this one. I'm wondering if 4Sevens may have changed their circuit. Anyway to confirm this? lovecpf

pinetree89

Enlightened
Thanks HKJ. :twothumbs

Very nice review and thanks for the link. Somehow I missed your review in the shuffle initially. Love the scope shots. That explains a lot.

:goodjob: