Sunwayman & Li-Ions

dst

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys- I have a Sunwayman V10R Ti light & AA adaptor- love this light! It's working voltage is rated at 0.9 to 4.2V. I'm new to these specialized Li-Ion batteries, but I've gone through enough forum posts to know that they can pack a wallop. I popped in an AW14500P and the light got very hot very quickly! :sick:

My question is- is it safe to use a rechargeable 14500 or RCR123a protected Li-Ion battery in this light, and more importantly, will using either of these batteries harm the flashlight in any way? :grin2:

RBWNY

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF :welcome: Now take 2 steps back!!

If I'm understanding what you're saying........ you have a V10R which uses ONE CR123, but you have a AA extension tube?... which would almost transform it into a V10A!!

Well, I have both lights. In the V10R I've been mainly using primaries (CR123). But in the V10A, I found 1 AA not to be bright enough, so I always use a 14500. Mind you with that configuration, it DOES get pretty warm when jacked up to high and left for a few moments. I can't see that any harm is coming to either the cell or the light since heat is a main function on many lights when pushed into high lumen mode.

So again, you're using a V10R with the option of having EITHER a 123 OR a 14500?

And in part 2 of your question, there'd be no issue using an RCR (16340) either. :thumbsup:

dst

Newly Enlightened
Hi RBWNY- Thanks for the reply! :)

Yes- I have the V10R Ti which takes one CR123. I also got the AA extension tube so I'd have some versatility with battery options in a pinch, although I prefer using the smaller/brighter CR123 configuration.

The light works fine with CR123 primaries (rated at 210 lumens), and with standard AA's, although as you note, it only gives 140 lumens with a standard AA.:candle:

The paperwork that came with the light says that you can use rechargeable batteries, but doesn't state which ones. From my limited understanding so far, if the light is rated up to 4.2V it should be able to handle both CR123a and 14500 rechargeable Li-Ion batteries (protected).

I don't have a rechargeable 123 at the moment, but I do have an AW14500P. When I put the AW14500P in the light it was very bright, but got very hot very quickly- alarmingly so. So my concern was, although the light might be rated up to 4.2V, is using a Li-Ion battery which is generating temps way higher than primaries do causing any damage to the emitter (shortening its life, or possibly blowing it out???), and is there any possibility of causing the battery to explode.

dst

Newly Enlightened
Thanks RBWNY and egrep, I appreciate your help! I realize it was newbie question, but I would have felt even dumber burning up a $150 light because I didn't know any better! :)

Latest posts