A Newbie's Flashlight Collection.

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Newbie\'s Flashlight Collection.

mylightscropped.jpg

I saw someone else post their collection, so I figured I'd do the same. Forgive me if some are boring to you. I've always been fascinated by 'cool' flashlights, but only just started collecting. I'm new to this hobby, so I still need to learn what the 'good' flashlights are. . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Okay, starting from the top left.

This is the first light I bought, years ago, just because I thought it was cool. It's a Sharper Image fluorescent lamp/incandescent flashlight combo. The flashlight sucks, but the lamp is pretty good at lighting up a dark room. Next is a lamp/flashlight/blinker/compass thingy I picked up from one of those American Express offers, $5.95. It taught me that there is such a thing as TOO cheap. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Rayovac is the standard workhorse light for me. Next we have a Coleman lantern/flashlight combo. Followed by a Garrity disposable flashlight. It's surprisingly bright and powerful for something I'd throw away once the battery dies. Next is my SciFi flashlight. Another one with the cool factor for me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif The light sucks and it's hard to hold and use at the same time, but it looked nice when I got it and it has the SciFi logo on it. Hey, it was free at a SciFi film festival. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif The next row starts with my Mini Maglight. I'm considering Opalec'ing it, but I'm not sure if I should spend my money on that or save for something else. Next is my Coleman keychain light, then Sharper Image Rocket light. The Rocket light is actually a blue LED. Next is a red LED that hooks into my cell phone, that I couldn't resist picking up for $6. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Then two laser pointers, one missing the cap. My Targus LED notebook light. I don't have a notebook, but I still had to buy it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Sometimes I just turn off all my lights and plug it into my USB port and gaze. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif My Schrade multitool with the red LED. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Got this as a gift from a smoker. I checked, it was in the Marlboro catalog! Hahaha.... Last row is my Inova X5. Just got it and haven't even opened it yet. BTW, it's the blue one. I wanted a white one, but the Discovery Store didn't carry the white one. I had a gift certificate I had to use. Then two cheap plastic squeeze flashlights, but I like them because they are compact and I don't care if I scratch them up. Lastly is my last Cat's Eyes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Don't know if anybody remembers these, but they were somewhat popular a few years ago. I had a few, but most of them broke. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

So there it is. Critiques? Be gentle!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I know I need good lights now. That's where this board comes in. I'm learning a lot by reading all these post. I can't afford any top of the line models like a Surefire E2E, but hopefully I'll be able to enjoy some of the more moderately priced lights and figure out all these different light bulb and mod some stuff. Wish me luck! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: A Newbie\'s Flashlight Collection.

Wow, that's a pretty good newbie collection. Still though, you will be amazed by the lights that are out there!

Welcome to CPF!

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I've been 'collecting' pretty lights for years. BTW, I say collecting loosely. All but five of these lights were gifts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'm just new to collecting the good stuff. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I just got the Invova X5. The Maglite, Schrade and notebook light were 'collected' all within the year. Everything else has been collected over the last 6 or 7 years. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'm already amazed, by what out there. That's why I'm here.

Thank goodness for this place. I use to think I was weird. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Most of my friend still think I am. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Hoghead

Flashaholic*

Sinjz
Welcome to CPF
Nice collection. Here is a link for you. Just buy everything with 5 stars or a thunbsup. By the time you get all of these you will be giving advice, but there is always more to learn. Enjoy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif
http://flashlightreviews.home.att.net/index1.html

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice start, Sinjz!! Everyone has to start somewhere, don't worry!! I'm very sure that the X5 will become your favourite as soon as you decide to take it out of the packaging (if ever?) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Maybe the next 'gentle' step up might be a Arc AAA or AA or a CMG Sonic for EDC? Or a bigger step up may be a SL TT 1L/2L or Propolymer 4AA w 7 Leds? Then there's Surefires... *sigh* the list never ends... Well, good luck, cos I'm dead broke all the time since I found this forum!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif

onelight

Enlightened

Hey you are weird, welcome to the weird club /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif ps your collection is better than mine was when I came here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thats an interesting collection. I recognize quite a few of those as having had very similar units with the flourescent/flood/flashing red emergency lights and most have minimags even if we dont admit it. Watch your wallet it gets skinny real quick. Especially when you "buy both" welcome to the forum

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast

You should definitely consider an Arc or a Surefire for your next light. They are expensive, but worth it. The Arc AA and AAA are fairly inexpensive, but are awesome lights! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Penguin

Enlightened

An ARC AAA is a MUST for any flashaholic I believe 99 percent of the people who post here regularly own an ARC AAA. The CPF edition AAA would be my reccomendation.

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the welcome guys. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'll look at the 'flashlightreviews site', but if I ever buy them ALL, I'd better have hit the lottery first. I can't afford this hobby, but unfortunately I'm already hooked. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif BTW, the X5 is ALREADY my favorite, even in the box. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'm trying to figure out if I should ever open it or if I should try and exchange it for a white one. Anybody have an opinion on whether or not I should keep the blue X5? Is there a benefit to having a blue one?

Anyway, I've read a lot about the Arc AAA, but I haven't heard much about the CMG Sonic. Are they 1 and 1A? Is there a Surefire EDC? Not sure what I'm going to get for my Every Day Carry yet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'm so proud I know that acronym now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Learning all this new flashlight terminology is really cool, but all my friend look at me funny when I tell them I'm a flashaholic. Maybe I should stop wearing the raincoat when I say it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif As for all the other lights, baby steps for me. I gotta take it slow. I'm already cutting my food budget so I can start saving for my next fix. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Thanks again! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ooo... looks like you're in deep already... flashlightreviews is where I go to most of the time to drool over the 'dream lights' that I want most of the time.

Re: blue Leds on your X5, I believe blue Leds give a much brighter output, but white Leds help your eyes see true colour in the night. So its your call whichever one you prefer...

CMG Sonic is also a AAA powered, much like the Arc AAA. Main differences can be found here.

Surefire EDC, the smallest you can probably find is the E1e. I personally find the E1e with KL1 (1W Led) a good combo. Although you might want to do a search for the TW4, which is the E1e with a KL4 bezel and a Z57 clickie switch. All small and handy... Have fun! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Stanley said:
I personally find the E1e with KL1 (1W Led) a good combo. Although you might want to do a search for the TW4, which is the E1e with a KL4 bezel and a Z57 clickie switch. All small and handy... Have fun! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahaha.... sorry, I'm laughing at myself. I read that quote and you know what I hear? Garbbaly garbally guhk.... HUH?!?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif It's gonna take me more reading and a bunch of Google searches to figure it out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Let me take a shot here and you tell me if I'm close. E1E one of the Surefire models, I assume a pocket sized light. I just figured out that the E2E is pretty small. I was initially under the impression it was as big as my Rayovac. I'm guessing the KL1 is a Kryptonite LED lightbulb, 1 Watt? Assuming that is correct, KL4 is a Kryptonite LED lightbulb, 4 Watts. No idea what a TW4 is, a different model from a different company? After a short search I found something that explained the Z57 clickie switch.

It all sounds really cool, but can I just buy different parts and build something so easily? Is everything so interchangeable? How do I figure out what watt bulb I can fit in what size flashlight and how much battery power is required? Can I customize/alter modulators for more power an therefore more light? Can I just pop a Xenon bulb into anything? Xenon is the brightest bulb right? It's all so confusing right now. Batteries confuse me too. I keep read about these lithium batteries, but when I try to look some up, NONE of them look to be shaped like an AA or AAA. The CR123A for example looks fatter or shorter, can't tell. Others look like rectangles. How do you guys use them? Hmmm... after a fifth look, maybe the CR123A's are like C's? Too many questions!!!

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast

Whoa there.. sorry Sinjz... all these jargon sorta comes to you naturally if you hang out with THIS crowd here at CPF!! Anyone else pls feel free to correct me if my explanations are incorrect or off tangent.. thanks!

CR123s or CR123As or simply 123s are batteries that are more commonly used (or used to be) in cameras. I don't have the dimensions exactly with me, but they are shorter than a AAA but wider in diameter.

Ok, the E1e is the Surefire Executive Elite that runs on 1xCR123 cell, as opposed to the E2e which runs on 2xCR123 cells.

The KL1 is a 1 Watt Luxeon Star (LS) LED (no krypton here, buddy) from Surefire that I believe has a regulated circuit within the bezel and gives out a white flood beam for 1.5 hours on 1x123 cell or 4 hours on 2x123 cells.
The KL4 is a 5 Watt LS, which is much brighter than the 1 Watter, and is essentially the Lamp assembly found in the Surefire L4.

I guess you already know what the z57 is by now...

Now, Tactical Warehouse has combined the z57 tailcap with a E1e body and a L4 bezel to form what they call the TW4! Ta-da!!

Hopefully, this explains things up a little better... I'm sure others will be chipping in their bits very soon too!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

diddy808

Newly Enlightened

nice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sinjz,
If you ever open the X5 package and peer inside the light, you will see what CR123 batteries look like. Yours will have two of them inside that finely sculpted barrel. If you use your X5 alot, you can get the batteries much, much cheaper online.
If the craving hits you, a great LED light that costs $5.97 at Wal-Mart is the Dorcy AAA light. It uses a regular Nichia 5mm LED and has a voltage booster board so it runs off of one AAA battery. Later, if the bug bites deeper; you can install a luxeon LED in the 5mm LEDs place and see how bright you can get. My local Wal-Mart has 12 of them on order and they should be in on Saturday.
For six bucks, how can you go wrong? Nice collection of lights and remember...you are weird! After that realization, look at the world and see what "normal" is like. People hating each other and blowing things up. Around here, the only thing we hate is dead batteries and blowing up high-grade Luxeon LEDs (and surefire bulbs) We need more "weird" people on this planet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
Let us know about your continuing addiction...food is over rated!

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sinjz
newbie:

Welcome to CPF!
Just to give you a glimpse into your future, some of the lights that are popular here cost $150 - $350. There are also some expensive ones discussed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Enjoy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hoghead

Flashaholic*

sinjz
Look at Flashlight Reviews and see what he has to say about the Princeton Tec(PT) Tec 40, this is $10.99 at Texas Tactical(TT) http://www1.ecxmall.com/stores/texastacticalsupply/Search.bok?category=Princeton+Tec+Lights
Next see what he has to say about the Streamlight 4AA 7 LED this is $22.99 at TT http://www1.ecxmall.com/stores/texastacticalsupply/Search.bok?start=9&total=18&searchpath=d8346805f81e52760ecc&category=Led+Lights
These are both good lights that don't break the bank. If you ever want to spend money on flashlights just ask for opinions on CPF and you will get lots of replies /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the explanation Stanley, it helped a LOT! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif That and some more reading helped clear up some of my confusion, although there is still plenty left. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Is there a more complete acronym list somewhere? One that includes all the flashlights and bulbs? Diddy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif BentHeadTX, I would love to get a set of Dorcy's. I read about them in another thread. I even saw a picture of it working while dunked in a cup of water. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Unfortunately there are NO Walmarts near me. I'm sure everybody is going 'no way, Walmart is everywhere'. Well, they're not in NYC. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif If anybody was curious, I decided I'm going to try and exchange my blue X5 for a white X5. White, I can use right now. Blue is just for fun and I can't afford that yet. BTW, why does my X5 not look like the one shown on flashlightreview.com? The grooves on the tail cap aren't as rough and the sides of the light just seem flat and not indented like the one on flashlightreview.com. Stainless, I'm absolutely on the lowest end of the flashaholic pyramid. I'd LOVE to get all these 'popular' flashlights, but they're out of my range. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif And I can forget about the HID's I'm drooling for!!! Did I use that right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif First I need a better EDC than the plastic things I carry around, then I'm going to have to work toward a compact flashlight and put in the brightest bulb I can find. I wanna shock people by how bright a compact light can be. I'm still doing research, but I think I want something similar to the Surefire L4 Digital Lumamax, but at a fifth of the price. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'm still not sure how much everything cost yet, but the site said ~$160. How does a TW4 with a KL4 differ from the L4 anyway? If it's all too much, then I guess I'll go for the Opalec Newbeam mod for the Maglite and hope that satisfies me for awhile. Anybody have anything to say about the Opalec? Hoghead, I read up on your two suggestions. The Tec 40 has nice specs, but aren't LEDs better? How does the Tec 40 compare to the X1? Even at $23 I'll have to pass on the Streamlight 4AA 7 LED. It sounds decent, but it didn't sound like it stands out. Limited budget here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif, so I figure I'll save that $23 and put it toward something else. That's the plan anyway, unless someone convinces me otherwise. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I should have been asleep /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sleepy.gif 3 hours ago, but I can't stop reading this stuff. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

dougmccoy

Enlightened

Sinjz,

The Opalec Newbeam is a revelation when compared to the stock Mini-Maglite but will disappoint you if you are looking for any sort of throw. The benefits of the Opalec are smooth wide flood with no artifacts and long, long battery life. The Opalec is regulated so will use most of the battery juice before the light begins to noticeably dim. It also produces a lovely white light which is radically different to the incandescent bulb which the regular MM uses. Unfortunately It is (IMHO)only worth the price of the conversion if you already own a MM otherwise save your money for somthing like a Streamlight LED.

Doug

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast

Go here. Buy a Madmax module and drop it in a MiniMag. It will give you the white bright light you are looking for. It will be quite a bit brighter than the X5. Oh, you will need an NX05 optic for it. It is on the website also.