Question about Arc AAA LED Quality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan W

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I read a while back on another forum that Arc switched to a different quality LED in there lights because they had trouble finding the ones they were using. So now the LEDs are inferior. Now I know next to nothing about flashlights so please bear with me. I am considering getting a Arc AAA but am put off a little by this idea. Is this true? Thanks for your help!

Ryan W

onelight

Enlightened
I have several ARC-AAA the quality and usefulness is excellent. Compared to any production lights of similar size,the ARC-AAA has a good balance of brightness and run time.I think you will be pleased with them if your expectations of a single 5mm led are realistic. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

hawkhkg11

Enlightened
You may be talking about a scenario that involved the Arc LS? I don't know much about Arc lights but I thought there was only one kind of 5mm white Nichia...not like "superior" or "inferior" kinds.

Dave Wright

Enlightened
Recent 5mm Nichias have somewhat more beam artifact. Otherwise they are as they have been for a couple years. All manufacturers are dealing with this. The artifact is only objectionable to perfection-oriented people who shine the beams on white walls for inspection.

Go ahead & pick up a AAA! Or maybe a AA if any are left @ dealers from the limited run.

Keep onelight's point in mind. It takes 3 or 4 5mm Nichias to equal the output of a stock Maglite 2xAA, and that's even with them being overdriven like Arc does. The AAA is a fabulous light for in-house or other close use in truly dark conditions.

AR15Fan

Newly Enlightened
I just got an Arc AAA LE

It is supposed to have a whiter light than the cheaper versions. However it still has a very noticable blue tint. I have a Photon II that is Whiter...

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an Arc AAA standard with a hideous beam. I recently purchased an Arc AAA CPF Edition, it has a perfect beam, and is much brighter than my old Arc AAA standard. I also have an Arc AA Second that has a perfect beam and is brighter than both of the AAAs.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
my old arc AAA had a very splotchy and uneven beam, but my new one is very smooth with no splotchiness at all, except for the bluish spot in the middle which all nichia leds have anyway.

Ryan W

Newly Enlightened
Thanks alot guys for all your help! And for laying my fears to rest. I will be picking up a AAA in the near future! I am just starting out with flashlights but so far I have the Inova X5, Brinkmann Rebel, Brinkmann Legend LX (does anybody know where I can order replacement bulbs for this online?) Mag Solitare AAx2 AAAx2, Dorcy AAA, Surefire E2e HA ,Surefire E1e HA, Surfire G2. Mhh wonder what I should get after the Arc AAA? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Again thanks for all your help!

Ryan W

Dave Wright

Enlightened
Just starting out with flashlights? Sounds like you're well on the way already. You need an Arc LS. Buying one will save you a lot of money. Or at least it did me. Nothing else is anywhere close to its construction, power (for its size), durability, and pocketability. I haven't bought many lights since.

Status
Not open for further replies.