Let's Play Date This Light

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, this is not a matching service! (couldn't let any of you mention that one first :p)

My flashaholism is not a secret at work. This morning one of the guys I work with (the one who appreciates my lights the most) comes in laughing his head off and couldn't even speak a word. Then he pulls this out (he just found it in one of the drawers he never uses):

13d_146e9e_ef747b_oJ.jpg.thumb

13c_146e9f_ad2a252f_oJ.jpg.thumb

13e_146e9d_b49db76b_oJ.jpg.thumb

13b_146ea0_935722e_oJ.jpg.thumb

He then lit under my worktable but (do I have to say it?) the old forgotten alkalines in there could barely make a yellow mark. I just HAD to pull out my Predator and totally kill the sickly poor beam.

So, anyone has any idea how old this thing is? I can only say it's older than 15 years, since it's been here longer than my coworker...

[edit]: If anyone could tell me if any Terralux upgrades can fit in there I'd like to know, thanks

OPs: if you feel this is in the wrong forum, feel free to move it

Last edited:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
cool light.
Good thing those alkies didn't leak.

Yea, just checked the expiration date on them : March 2003 :sweat:

I might swap it and bring something more practical that uses AA's, since we do sell those. Couldn't be a good flashaholic if I didn't think about leaving a working light for the unenlightened. The day the power goes down I just know I won't be around to take advantage of it :ironic:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tend to agree with your estimate, ^G. It has the older look, but it's all plastic, so won't dare say 30+ years, but it does have the late '70s type of look.

I'm open for more estimates! Anyone? I'm sure a few old timers here have a more precise idea...

[edit: the light is coming home with me tonight; I need at least one vintage light if I'm going to call it a collection...]

Last edited:

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
[edit]: If anyone could tell me if any Terralux upgrades can fit in there I'd like to know, thanks

Maybe a better look at the bulb would help. It may well be a PR2 in which case there are a number of options for a nice, efficient, and long running LED upgrade. Drive levels that let it deal with no heatsinking could give this thing monster runtime on 2 D Cells.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Plastic flashlights have been around since at least the 1930's and possibly longer. Can you find a name or any other wording anywhere on the light?

No other markings than the ones pictured except "made in USA" on the tailcap.

Maybe a better look at the bulb would help. It may well be a PR2 in which case there are a number of options for a nice, efficient, and long running LED upgrade. Drive levels that let it deal with no heatsinking could give this thing monster runtime on 2 D Cells.

The bulb is a PR-4. Looks like Terralux has something that would fit, but I'm definitely open to suggestions. The search is on...

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
The bulb is a PR-4. Looks like Terralux has something that would fit, but I'm definitely open to suggestions. The search is on...

Another option, Dorcy 41-1643 is a 30 lumen bulb for 3v input.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another option, Dorcy 41-1643 is a 30 lumen bulb for 3v input.

That could even be available in stores. I would prefer something around 50 lumens, but then again, I am not likely to use it other than for power outtages (great tailstand and anti-roll, not to mention runtime). I'd like to get a second bulb that emits 120+ lumens, just to get some real jaw-drop action from old guys who are still using the same type of light - even if that means I can't turn it on very long.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
ooOOhh.. thanks

BTW, Any plan for a GT? I'd like to blow your minds with my newest mod (to be) :crackup:

brembo

Enlightened
Quick and dirty mod:

Pull the reflector, drop a Xeno E03 (with 14500 in it) into the light. BAM! 400+ lumen upgrade. UI is a bit weird (screw off bezel, turn on Xeno, screw bezel back on). Expect some rattle and issues with beam centering....

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought the Dorcy 30 lumen bulbs (and with my luck they where at 25% discount this weekend only), which would be very nice for elongated power outages (I'll also get some AA to D battery cases) I'll post some beamshots along with observations when I get a chance.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quick and dirty mod:

Pull the reflector, drop a Xeno E03 (with 14500 in it) into the light. BAM! 400+ lumen upgrade. UI is a bit weird (screw off bezel, turn on Xeno, screw bezel back on). Expect some rattle and issues with beam centering....

LOL! That's definitely a mod that requires no skills at all! In fact, you'll need more skill using it than it took to mod!

After being disappointed with the results from several PR base LED drop-ins this is how I opted to improve my older cheap plastic lights. Even higher output can be had using 3 123 cells and a 6 cell Xenon Mag bulb or an overdriven 5 cell Philips HPX-53.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...sic-question&p=3137310&viewfull=1#post3137310

Interesting and simple enough, but is it that bright? Any guesstimate on lumens?

Howecollc

Enlightened
Interesting and simple enough, but is it that bright? Any guesstimate on lumens?
The 2x123 set-up is a little brighter than a 5D Mag, so according to Mag's specs it's around 120 lumens (bearing in mind that Mag lumens, as well as Dorcy lumens, are probably somewhat exaggerated). It's a nice simple solution for those lights that normally just sit around in a drawer at your parent's house till someone pulls it out during a power outage only to find that the D cell alkalines have gone dead over the past 7 years.

The 3x123 set-up with a Philips HPX-53 bulb, however, is indeed that bright. It's a lot brighter than my Surefire 8AX which is rated as 110 "Surefire lumens". It's not as bright as a MagCharger, but is not very far behind. It's probably what most people would call 175-200 lumens out the front. I take a lime green Eveready 2D loaded with this bulb/battery combo when I go camping for people to use when headlamps aren't bright enough, and someone almost always comments on how crazy bright the thing is compared to how cheap it looks.

The HPX-53 bulb can be purchased from Dorcy Direct. It's a rather unique 5 cell bulb in that it can withstand repeated changes to fresh sets of 3x123 cells without flashing.

http://www.dorcydirect.com/p-75-41-1035-lantern-replacement-parts.aspx

Last edited:

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a light almost like that, but it's green and marked J.C. Penny. I bought it for 25 cents many years ago at a swap meet. It still works, but of course is nothing like our new lights. Mine also has no date.

Burgess

Flashaholic
We got one of these clunkers , in the early 1980's.

It was "free from work". :whistle:

Ours had a Yellow bezel ring, whereas your sample is All-Black.

Standard PR-2 bulb, with 2 D-cell batteries. Crappy slide-switch.

What i remember MOST about it:

The front head assembly was Poorly-Threaded, and it would " Pop-Off " at the slightest opportunity.

Really a piece of cr@p, but i had it positioned in our old garage, as a Spare Spare Spare.

How bad was it ? ? ?

Well, when we MOVED 3 years ago, i didn't even bother taking it With.

That oughta' tell you something.

:barf:
_