Flashlights and Toddlers

Amix

Newly Enlightened
At the moment I have a Jetbeam RRT-0 (high mode 255 lumen) and my 2-year old likes to play with occasionally, she even got it in strobe mode the other day.

I'm thinking of buying a SR90 (high mode 2200 lumen) and was wondering if it would be dangerous to keep lying around the house randomly. If she put that one into strobe mode and looked at it, would it damage her vision?

petersmith6

Enlightened
it wouldnt be good for any ones eye sight at close range. also its a bit heavy....big flashlight metal flash light and small child may end in tears,bruses or lumps on the back of the head from your wife...

willieschmidt

Newly Enlightened
Don't know if they are still made but Fisher-Price made a neat flashlight for toddlers. The switch was like a momentary but had a 10 second delay when released. Saved on batterys. It also knob that moved internal red and green filter over a low wattage incandescent bulb. My kids loved it.

JacobJones

Enlightened
Might not be a good idea to leave the Olight SR90 laying around. put it somewhere out of reach where it can't get knocked on the floor, I expect it could survive a few drops but why risk it.

When I was little I had one of these
http://www.lighthouse-torches.com/d...=High Power Krypton Spotlight with 6V Battery
I loved it, great light for a youngster. It's fairly bright, too big to lose, and being plastic it shouldn't scratch other things too badly.

Norm

Retired Administrator
I agree with all petersmith6 had to say and would add that no high powered flashlight should be left within the reach of a child of any age. If on the other hand you want a safe flash light for the child to use look at the range of Lego flashlights.
Norm

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know if an SR90 could damage a Toddlers eyes but I suspect it could. I'm not sure they have the reflex to look away or close their eyes like we do. I keep all my lights out of reach in my house. I do let my 3 year old play with some of my "lower power" lights but only under my strict watch. I constantly say "don't look into the light" and "don't shine it into other people's eyes" as a constant reminder. I did give her a 8 lumen (or so) Leatherman S2 (AAA, 5mm LED) but I sanded the emitter and reflector AND put a chapstick cap on the top all in the effort to diffuse the light. She loves it because it is like Daddy's lights and the output is so little and so diffused that it can't hurt her eyes.

dosei-45

Newly Enlightened
Yes, that many lumen's is enough to cause damage. You should not let children play with high output torches.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm thinking of buying a SR90 (high mode 2200 lumen) and was wondering if it would be dangerous to keep lying around the house randomly. If she put that one into strobe mode and looked at it, would it damage her vision?
I dont know about the sr90, but there are high power led flashlights that claim they might ignite stuff. Maby a sales gimmic, but they emit alot of heat. You really feel the heat at point blank. I once was stupid and pressed a 1000 lumen triple xp-g to my skin and turned it on. after ~40 sek i had a ithcy round burn mark lasting several days. I would keep it far away from kids. We like to play with hi power stuff, but they are far from toys. Sometimes stuff can go wrong:poof:
I wonder if it's really exist a led light with the power to start a fire? But not by venting flames. Leave the light on, pressed against something that is easy to ignite.
It would be fun to see someone try burn something with a uber hi power led "flamethrower". :)

DonL

Enlightened
I have a couple of older hardware store beater lights that my daughter tosses around and plays with. Inexpensive plastic buggers that take some tossing around, aren't particularly bright, and cheap.

pinetree89

Enlightened
My 3 year old likes to run around outside with my Fenix E01. It's a great light for wee ones. Likes to use it as a field expedient light sabre as well. We also use it to practice looking in each others mouths. Makes for establishing a good groundwork for going to the dentist/doctor.

I think he's on his way to becoming a flashaholic. :whistle:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Amix my son has also loved light's since he was a toddler so when he was a few years old I bought him a Energizer AAA headlamp (the small one Walmart sells) and also the a PalLight from Safe-light and it has worked out really well with him, he also has an older 30 lumen Streamlight TL2 LED that he can easily activate.

http://www.palights.com/

He thinks all my light's are his and I don't tell him otherwise but I keep all the high output stuff well out of reach.

DonL

Enlightened
My daughter just reminded me of another one. She was running around tonight with one of my old Krill lights. With fresh rechargeables, she can pitch it into some corner or bury it in the playroom for days and it's still running.