18650 with reverse clickie - 3 mode

zilingz

Newly Enlightened
Hello to everyone and greetings from Croatia. I am new member:wave:
I'm using two flashlights: Eagletac T10L and MG L-Mini II with turbohead. I'm buying a new one but just can't decide because of my poor knowledge about led
world this days:stupid: Please help with your expert advice. In brief i need quality flashlight
with these features:

1x18650 battery
reverse clickie (with 1 half press to change modes)
3 modes with memory (low, mid, high)
diameter of light head max. 3.5 cm
throw without rings, cool white
removable clip
max real lumens for the price around 100$

Many thanks

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you like your Eagletac, you should check out the Eagletac T20C2 MKII. Takes an 18650, nice stainless clip, and makes a lot of lumens. It comes in two variants, the XML and the XPG. I imagine the XPG throws a little better (emphasis on the little) but you get about twice the overall light coming out of the XML.

Last edited:

zilingz

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for reply,

I was already looking that model few days before but what is missing for me is reverse clickie switch. I love the beam of my T10L but mostly I use L-Mini II
when i'm in a situation where i only have one hand free and movin fast for quick and easy changes of modes. And L-mini has a little better throw with turbo head.
T10L is good for my quieter and slower activities.

So i realy need reverse clickie in my third light :help:
Are there more good quality lights with such a switch?

I am ready to accept more modes (strobe etc..) if there is no lights with only 3 modes but reverse clickie is a must for now :help:

dosei-45

Newly Enlightened
What about something like the Klarus XT10 or Jetbeam PC25? They are not exactly reverse clicky, but they certainly allow for easily changing modes with just the thumb of the hand holding the light.

zilingz

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for recomendations, they are very close for what i searching. One hand operation is ok i but i wish they have some more light output/throw.
Most of the flashlights came with tactical switches. What is the reason for the low bid of quality led lights with high output and with simple reverse clickie switch?

Most of them has power and quality build but they need two hands to change modes..
What i need for example is Armytek Predator with one hand operation to change modes. Am i only dreaming? :tired:
Which is closest to that?

Last edited:

pinetree89

Enlightened
You could try a Solarforce L2 or L2P body. They both come with reverse clickys and take 18650. Couple that with a Solarforce 3 mode drop in and you're good to go.

I like forward clickys better myself though...but you have a point about single handed mode changing.

zilingz

Newly Enlightened
Well, this Solarforce solution seems the best far now, the Balder BD2 seems ok but i give + for Solarforce because of plenty of choice and for body tube looks. Thanks pinetree89, i will definitive go for L2P body and reverse clickie.

I like reverse clickies because i almost always carry something in my other hand and single handed mode changing is a must for me.

I was on solarforce-sales site but i'm afraid I do not understand very well all options. Plus, there is no much details described on some items wich cunfusing me additionally :confused: i am still totaly unenlightened :stupid: I still must learn the important terms and their meanings.

On their site i found the body L2P, switch (Reverse Clicky TailStand HaIII Click) and several drop ins but i'm not sure about compatibilty between them. I'm wondering which strongest bulb can be put in that body and with that switch without to much heat problems?

pinetree89

Enlightened
I'm wondering which strongest bulb can be put in that body and with that switch without to much heat problems?

I'd look under the subheading listed as "Cree 0.8-4.2v" if you're going to run it on an 18650. Just don't run it on 2 CR123's. I have a few of these drop ins, and they work well. The down side is the lower modes use PWM at a low frequency and it's fairly annoying to me, although it doesn't seem to bother others.

zilingz

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, and i dont use CR123 at all. Can you tell me a few things more about beam output and that PWM? What will you say what distance in meters that babies throw?

I was looking some videos on youtube about that but still i dont understand completely. Is PWM some efect like slow strobe for the human eye or flickering? I mean what is your personal experience with that and is that bothered the eye too much?

pinetree89

Enlightened
I was looking some videos on youtube about that but still i dont understand completely. Is PWM some efect like slow strobe for the human eye or flickering? I mean what is your personal experience with that and is that bothered the eye too much?

It's a really fast switching of the LED on and off to provide a lower level of light. At higher frequencies it's usually not noticeable to the human eye. At lower frequencies you can occasionally see the flashing out of the corner of your eye or when the light is in motion, and at times the light doesn't appear as pleasing, at least to my eye. The 3 mode solarforce drop ins have a low frequency, and while it's perfectly usable light, it's just not my cup of tea. However others may disagree, and you may find it to be no problem.

zilingz

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for detailed description, now i'm fully understand that. Yes, maybe my eye will not be bothered so much but may be the opposite, i wil see for sure in reality when i receive the lamp.

I decided to buy XML 820lms 3 mode high med low in L2P body from solarforce for now. Can you tell is this will be better or worse than Cree 0.8-4.2v?

And i am going to try assembling other lamp with L2P body but with aspherical lens from ahorton and XR-E R2 module :thinking: I'm so hope that i will not screwed something :sweat:

That will be my first moded light :huh: wish me luck..

JKodiak

Newly Enlightened
If you want max lumens with budget of 100$ go with L2P host and Nailbender 3-mode XML drop-in. The Solarforce XMLs are not bad but they are not 820 lumens. With Nailbender you get better quality and more power, if I remember correctly Nailbender states his XML drop-ins 650 OTF lumens measured in a sphere. That is about best you can get for P60 form factor. Even better is Zebralight SC600. Not very throwy but 750 lumens and very compact. 3 modes which can be configured and low-low. I would guess that Nailbender drop-in throws better but that is a guess without any data behind it.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're happy with the L-mini, you should take a look at the S-mini since it's Shiningbeam's replacement for the L-mini.

--flatline

zilingz

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for advice JKodiak, i will definitely go with Nailbenders 3-mode XML drop-in in and L2P host.
Since i'm new in world of flashlights one thing still bothered me. I'ts about reverse clickie switch. I love the way how my L-mini change between modes - once the light is switched on (switch fully pressed) , the modes can be easily changed with only one half press and that is what i needed in my next light.

But what i see around the most of the lights has tactical momentary switches or reverse clickies with multipresses to change between modes.
If i am going with L2P and Nailbenders drop-in how i can get that kind of switch 3-mode (high, mid, low) with one half press to change modes? And where?
Is that switch in L2P host that kind or not?

Or i'm thinking wrong and that depends of drop-in structure? It really confuses me :confused:

flatline:
L-mini is nice light with turbo head, without it it's only practical in shape and size. but i will go definitely with L2P and XML.

JKodiak

Newly Enlightened
Number of modes depends from drop-in. The way to switch between modes depends from the switch. You can buy L2P with reverse or forward clicky. Since L2P is so called P60 host all Solarforce parts are interchangeable. As well Surefire 6P parts.

Latest posts