Olight M20 500/320 Lumen Models

Confederate

Enlightened
At first I decided to buy the M20 320 Lumens model, then a 500 Lumens. I was only going on reviews, so I put in an order for the M20/320. When it arrived, it met all my expectations for what I thought a good tactical light should be. The 320 lumens offered a great deal of flood and I was impressed that it would run it for four hours! Secondly, I was very impressed with the 150 hours of runtime on a low (12 lumens) setting. (Heck, I could read novels in a tent all night with that kind of light!)

The light worked fine, and it was tough and reliable to boot. So then to phase two and order the 500 lumen model, which is said not only to be "50 percent brighter" than the 320 model, but have improved circuitry.

Then I stopped, thought about it and promptly ordered another 320 model! Not only did other reviewers note that there wasn't that much visible difference, 320 lumens was more than adequate light for any cop. It can light up the back seat of any car, four hours of light just beats the hell out of 1.5 hours. Plus, the 500 lumens is set to just five minutes. According to a website: "High runs at max output for the first 5 minutes and then drops to 60% output for thermal protection. This is reset each time it is powered on." So not only do you get only 1.5 hours of runtime at full power, you only get full power for five minutes.

So after five minutes, the 500 lumens model drops to 300 lumens for thermal protection. Thus, runtimes makes the 320 lumens model the way to go. My only two criticisms is that there is no way to get an olive green model and two, I wish the strobe switch on the side was made out of some sort of glow-in-the-dark material.

If anyone here has the 500 lumens model, I'd like to hear your views on it -- especially if you also have the 320 lumens model.

Bobby_C

Newly Enlightened
I just picked up a M20-X last week. I also have a 6P with a 320 lm drop-in and I've compared them unscientifically during a walk with my pup.

The 320 lm drop in seems to be a XP-G R5 (no markings but from what I can tell). It has a very tight hotspot and shoots out pretty far but very little spill or flood to the sides. The M20-X is just as bright in the center but lights up much more on the sides. I don't think it goes any farther than the 6P but it's more useable light overall, even in the lower settings. I don't think I'd really use the highest settings and Med is 100 lm which would be fine for 95% of my use.

I can't say much on run time since I haven't really used it other than for personal testing to see how bright it really is. I'm also thinking about investing in a 18650 charger and some AW batteries for this since I know I'll be using it a lot more.

I'm very impressed with the overall fit and finish of this light.

Confederate

Enlightened
Like I said, the new M20 is said to have improved circuitry as well as having a brighter top rating of 500 lumens. I'd like to hear from someone who has reviewed both.

The Olight M20 is the best tactical light I've seen in ages; it's just that four hours of 320 lumens is, in my view, a better way to go. I mean, you go outside, turn on the 500 lumens and 5 minutes later the bloody thing clicks down to 300 lumens to save the bulb. If they could give us four hours of 500 lumens, I'd be really sold. Alas, that ain't gonna happen anytime in the near future.

Chidwack

Enlightened
I have the M20s S2 and was thinking of buying the M20 X or the drop-in. I decided not to do so as I really don't see enough improvement in the X to give up the 4 hour run time.
BTW. To get a full 4 hours run time from my M20s I had to buy good batteries. I get 4 hours from AW and Redilast 2900 mAh batteries. Another plus from using these good batteries is that the light doesn't get near as warm/hot as it does when using lesser batteries.

Confederate

Enlightened
Good point. I buy only name brand batteries for my bugout bag, but when I'm using the flashlight for general outdoor use, I choose a 18650 rechargeable. It's there that I see the advantage of having a 4-hour runtime. I'd considered buying the standard smooth reflector, but changed my mind. I have a Cree P4 LED with 240 lumens. It has a huge smooth reflector and throws an obnoxious ball of light for several blocks with some spill. I prefer the M20's generous spill right in front of me and enough throw that it suits my needs. If I get a smooth reflector, I'll likely keep it in my bag until/if I need it. If I wanted a 1.5 hour of mean runtime, I think I'd get an M30 and try three batteries or use two 18650 batteries.

BTW, I'd like to hear from someone who has an M30.

spc smith

Enlightened
Theres a reason why all lights TACTICALLY speaking, are switching over to the XML emitter. I have the Olight M20X, and its flood is quite pronouncedly brighter than the S version. The hotspot is far enough out @t 200meters, and actually more usable for medium range clearance than a smaller hotspot xpg-r5.

Another notion, ONLY the M21X with NO side switch has the step down in brightness after 5 minutes. The M20X @t 500 ANSI lumens does not at near the same brightness but less diameter in spill as the head is smaller. BOTh the old and new version X and S have thier place. The Olight M20S (using the S2) is better at long distance SLIGHTLY. The M20X IS brighter though at medium ranges.

gatorgrabber

Newly Enlightened
I have both of these lights; each chosen for a specific job. The longer running M20S R5 is used when a project is going to drag on for hours. It's a great, tough light that really gets the job done. The M20-X is used in the field when I require short periods of bright light and don't feel like dragging around a HID. Another difference between the two is the strobe's only accessible on the M20-X using the side switch (fine by me). Now if Olight would just install a side switch cover that you could actually feel, the lights would be just about perfect.

Last edited: