RRT-21 vs RRT-2

eh123456

Newly Enlightened
I am trying to decide whether to buy the RRT-21 or the RRT-2.
Each has its own Pro's and Con's.
The RRT-21 has infinite brightness control, but a lot of people say from the lowest to the highest is only 160 degrees, not enough control to the user.
The RRT-2 has only 3 preset modes, but it looks better (to me at least), but heavier (161g for the RRT-2 vs 137g for the RRT-21).
The purpose of this light is for general use, walk the dogs, work in the garden, etc. I know this light is an overkill for my purposes, but we all understand that we don't need a reason to buy an expensive light, right ? :D
Anyone can help me to decide ?
Thanks a million !

theix

Newly Enlightened
I had the same exact dilemma last week and I decided to get the RRT-2. :cool:

Infinite brightness is awesome (let's put the magnetic ring issue away for a moment) but do I really need that? :shakehead 3 brightness presets(460/150/55) is enough for general use IMO. Main reason that I picked RRT-2 is the positive spring contact (so I can use flat-top AW 2900mAh 18650). I wish my M1xm have it ;).

The construction of RRT-2 looks better than RRT-21 IMO. I've seen the PC25 and I think Jetbeam should've named it BC25 cuz the construction and finish is more like the "B" series so I was afraid that the RRT-21's construction will be the same as PC25.

My RRT-2 should arrive early next week. I'll be sharing photos ;).

lc-150

Newly Enlightened
i also would go with the RRT-21... i love the brighness of mine. :grin2:

uknewbie

Banned
Well I only have the RRT-21, not the RRT-2.

They are very similar of course. Depends on what you need or value most. Do you need the infinite control ring? Of couse not, but it is pretty cool. It does not as others have said, give you really accurate control at he low levels, but I can still have my RRT-21 down to about 3 lumens, whereas the RRT-2 only goes as "low" as 55. So do you value or want a low low?

The RRT-2 can come with SMO or OP reflector, whereas the RRT-21 is OP only.

Similar sizes and designs, sure if you are happy with one you would be with the other. I like the RRT-21 being all one colour, but that is just me.

EnduringEagle

Enlightened
Here are a couple of thoughts.
1-Having low light capability (I.e. 5 lumens) comes in real handy at concerts, cleaning gear, etc..
2-if memory serves the rrt-2 has a clip where the other does not (could be wrong about this)
3-the interfaces on both requires two hands thus it a wash
4-having one motion vs cycling through modes is better IMHO
5-they are both great lights and you should pick the one that will give you the most enjoyment
Lastly, if you settle on the infinite brightness ring you might want to also check out HDS, sunwayman (possibly the worst name I have ever heard for a company) and I think that NiteCore also makes them as well. All the major manufacturers make great lights. The user interface, utility, looks and warranty are the major pieces for this member. Just my $.02

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
Styling:
Most consider the RRT-2 better looking, but it's also more expensive.

UI:
My RRT-0 has about 300 degrees of rotation on the infinitely variable ring, and sometimes I think that is too much.
My Sunway V10R Ti has only 120 degrees or a third of a circle, and that's okay.
I think 160 degrees on the RRT-21 should be fine?

Brightness:
The RRT-21's infinitely variable control combined with the low low of 3 lumens is good if u use it when you just get out of bed at 2 am in the morning.
If you use it outdoors, then you won't really benefit from 3 lumens.
Even 1 lumen from my RRT-3 is too bright just out of bed; I prefer the RRT-0's 0.001 lumen just out of bed at 2am in the morning.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
There were 2 versions of the RRT-2. Are you looking at the XRE or XPG version? The XRE had a huge heavy copper heat sink. It was a really well built light. The XPG version was lighter and they did away with the copper heat sink. My impression is that Jetbeam is making each new iteration less robust. That is not to say the RRT-21 is not a good light. I don't own one. I did have the versions of the RRT-2.

Also, the RRT-21 is more of a flood light compared to the RRT-2. 6,000cd is about what a Zebralight SC600 will do. I'll go measure my SC600.

Last edited:

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just measured my Zebralight SC600 at 8,200cd and the RTT-21 is rated at 6,000 so we are not talking about a thrower here. Keep that in mind when deciding between the two Jetbeam models.

I compared to a Zebralight because they are known to be flood.

Last edited:

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
Selfbuilt's review has more comparable lux numbers:

SC600-FL1-Summary.gif

6klux/1m is still pretty lousy, tiny Fenix PD31 does better...

swan

Banned
Nice choice to have -both will be exceptional as are all the jetbeam raptor series.Built tough to a jewel like finish . I like the rrt-21 ui and its subtle look. but the rrt-2 is one of the best looking lights available and when you pick it up it just feels like quality [ i have the r5 version] yep- tough choice.

Wrecked

Enlightened
Nice choice to have -both will be exceptional as are all the jetbeam raptor series.Built tough to a jewel like finish . I like the rrt-21 ui and its subtle look. but the rrt-2 is one of the best looking lights available and when you pick it up it just feels like quality [ i have the r5 version] yep- tough choice.

You got that right. The 21 just doesn't have a real high "cool" factor.

eh123456

Newly Enlightened
I am looking at this one : http://www.jet-beam.com/links/pro/rrt2xml.aspx

There were 2 versions of the RRT-2. Are you looking at the XRE or XPG version? The XRE had a huge heavy copper heat sink. It was a really well built light. The XPG version was lighter and they did away with the copper heat sink. My impression is that Jetbeam is making each new iteration less robust. That is not to say the RRT-21 is not a good light. I don't own one. I did have the versions of the RRT-2.

Also, the RRT-21 is more of a flood light compared to the RRT-2. 6,000cd is about what a Zebralight SC600 will do. I'll go measure my SC600.