need help finding the right light

tick

Newly Enlightened
so i looked around and cant find a replacement flashlight. i have a smith n wesson galaxy 12x. its on the blink. meaning, it blinks off, and if ya hit it right, it will blink on. so i need a replacement. something tough, and durable as that was supposed to be. the thing is it needs at least 2 modes, but incandescent with led would be nice.

as i said, i looked here n there. surefire has some nice lights, but im a farmer, im not gonna pay 600 bucks for a flashlight that will get wet, covered in mud, and dropped.

if anyone can help, i would be most appreciative.

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Might want to consider a High Cri LED light. Kinda the best of both all in one. A Malkoff MD2 with the Hi/Lo ring and a High CRI M61 (M61W). Or a High CRI HDS (Click or Rotary your call). If not afraid to alter one, I think there is currently a cpf'er selling A2 Aviator rings to make a LED/Incan set up though you'd have to research it a bit. All three are pretty much bullet proof set ups between 130 and 250 dollars. Well under 600, but you being a farmer know when it comes to tools, you get what you pay for.

Though you can also just order some more of your current light if happy with that, depending on the model can get 2-6 of them for the money.

robostudent5000

Enlightened
how about something more basic, like a Fenix E21 (2xAA)

or if you like CR123 batteries, a Jetbeam BC10/ Klarus P1C.

just make sure you get it from a good dealer like Goinggear, and they'll take care of you if your light has problems.

varmint

Enlightened
Tick I saw it mentioned you are a farmer, I raise cattle here in north Texas. I use lights every night. I have used my Streamlight SL20 for 27+ yrs but got tired of its size, it still works great. I bought an Olight M20 and a Streamlight Strion. I am sold on them, for a rechargeable the SL is great, the Olight is also great for your purpose. I have been very pleased with both of these..

Quiksilver

Enlightened
as i said, i looked here n there. surefire has some nice lights, but im a farmer, im not gonna pay 600 bucks for a flashlight that will get wet, covered in mud, and dropped.

Most lights under $100 lack durability for being dropped/submerged.

I would budget out $100-$250 for this light.

Since you're on a farm, you'll need plenty of throw. You can wear a headlamp for close-up work (most work I did on the farm required both hands).

A light which gets good reviews, that has lots of throw and is top-notch durable is the SureFire LX2 LumaMax.

As long as you don't mind CR123 batteries, it would appear to be a good solid choice for a light which will get dropped, covered in mud, submerged in water, and which you expect to perform after said abuse.

--

I purchased a Fenix LD20-R4 for my father, who owns a farm.

Not the most durable, 'only' $70, but bright with good throw for its size, good value, and takes AA.

--

If you're using it for work, you can likely get a tax write-off.

Last edited:

jl123

Newly Enlightened
I second the Olight m20 or m21 of any flavor. The first day with my m21 I dropped it 6 feet onto a steel breaker box and it died. I was terrified it hadn't lasted but 30 minutes.

Turns out the 18650 cell died, not the m21. Guess the pcb on the 18650 didn't like the fall.

Since then I've been getting dirt and sawdust all over it without issue. I like it more than my surefire 6p.

The olights may not be overbuilt but my m21 went undamaged while my 6p sits in a box. For now...

Chidwack

Enlightened
+3 on the Olight. I picked it for it's toughness after watching some torture tests on youtube.