HDS 120 lumens vs NOVATAC STORM 120 lumens ?

radu1976

Enlightened
OK, HDS 120 will normally have 100 lumens - 120 on TURBO - while NOVATAC STORM around 100 lumens although rated for more ... according to light-reviews.com

Are those using the same LED - SSC P4 - or is HDS using an OSRAM one ?
I recently got a STORM which I find a good/nice light for the money paied , about 40$ .
I am wondering if an HDS worth being bought as it's 2.5 times more expensive : if it offers the same throw, overall brightness, UI interface - after 250 clicks - ... will the anodizing TYPE III and the steel bezel worth the extra 60$ ??!! Additionally it's 1.6cm or 0.6' longer than the STORM .

Maybe the throw will be slightly increased if the TACTICAL 120 is choosen over EDC 120 but other than that the overall output and runtime would be basically the same with STORM, right ?

Any input would be appreciated !

Imon

Enlightened
Is this HDS a few years old?
I don't remember the last time they made a 120/100. I have a Ra Clicky which is about 2 years old and it's 140/100, but yeah, it uses a Osram Golden Dragon LED. I own a Novatac Storm which does use the P4 LED - I'm not too thrilled about the one on mine since it has a distinctly blue tint (kind of like the P4s on the SF P60L drop-ins).

One thing I like about the Golden Dragon is that, not only does it have a better tint, but it actually throws a little further because of the smaller LED die. I think your main question though is paying 2.5x more for a HDS worth it? I think so. I really believe the HDS is in a whole other class when compared to the Storm. Way sturdier, better build, easier to program well... there was a thread where Henry listed out the difference between the two... here it is.

DarwinsDead,

Contact customer support about a remote switch for a HDS Systems (Ra) flashlight.

Here is a quick comparison of the two different brands:

* HDS Systems: constant power electronics, flat regulation, stable light levels. Novatac: constant current electronics, many comments about flickering on the low settings.

* HDS Systems: armored and padded stainless steel bezel fully protects scratch resistant ultraclear glass lens without fear of breaking, sapphire optional. Novatac: stainless steel insert bezel, scratch-prone plastic lens.

* HDS Systems: smooth battery case interior - no battery damage when dropped, unique dampened dual spring contact system that prevents damage to either end of the battery and maintains electrical contact even with severe impacts, attached well protected signal wire. Novatac: spring-lined battery compartment can damage battery in impact, spring signal wire has many signal failure modes and can fall out, (older design: ) dimpled plate positive contact, conical spring negative, rubber spring negative generates high forces - roughly 20 pounds pressure, battery can still move off positive contact and cause reset.

* HDS Systems: lightly loaded heavy duty threads - no significant thread wear. Novatac: (older design: ) heavily loaded thin threads - thread failure around 200 battery changes.

* HDS Systems: sealed switch with gold plated contacts for higher reliability. Novatac: dome switch on circuit board, not sealed.

* HDS Systems: runtime on High setting: 1.25 hours typical. Novatac: runtime on High setting: 30 minutes.

* HDS Systems: many output options including IR, 100, 120, 140 and 170 lumens, high CRI, different beam patterns. Novatac: 85 and 120 lumens, one beam pattern.

* HDS Systems: fully automatic rechargeable battery detection and protection. Novatac: manual rechargeable battery detection - Battery Detect Reset.

* HDS Systems: numerous improvements to the user interface, both the Option and Brightness menus work the same so less to learn, all lights can be customized. Novatac: Option/brightness menus work differently, P models customization on, E and T model customization off - requires 250 click back door.

* HDS Systems: no retaining rings to come loose and cause bad connections. Novatac: retain rings can come loose and cause bad connection, company video on how to use ballpoint pen to retighten.

There are more items, but you probably get the idea.

Henry.

There you have it. If you can afford it the HDS is a great light.

nbp

Flashaholic
Imon basically hit it all. But from my experience, the HDS is better in every single way than the NT. I would say the $99 120 is a heck of a deal and absolutely worth it.

radu1976

Enlightened
'Novatac: constant current electronics, many comments about flickering on the low settings'
Never noticed that ... maybe something characteristic to old US models ...

'HDS Systems: runtime on High setting: 1.25 hours typical. Novatac: runtime on High setting: 30 minutes'
Despite being rated 30 min runtime, STORM has actually a much longer runtime : using a RCR123 you'll get 1:15 hrs - see http://light-reviews.com/novatac_storm/ - I did a runtime and I got the same result : 75min with a rechargeable . With a primary it will last longer .

'Novatac: stainless steel insert bezel, scratch-prone plastic lens'
Agree with that .

So basically only construction of the light itself makes the difference, output and runtime being the same - for the 120 lumens models -

Last edited: