Mag 2D triple P7 mod - battery help needed

moj

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I still have a Mag 2D body and a DerWichtel 3*P7 heatsink laying around waiting to be put together.
I know there's way better options out there now with the XM-L and whatnot - but this is what I have and I'm gonna use it.
edit: Since I don't actually have the P7s yet: Will SST-50s work with the P7 reflectors? Does anyone know?
To drive the leds, I'll use some AMC7135 driver boards.

So the only thing left to decide on is the batteries, and I'm not sure what to use. I wanna keep it simple, so no fancy 239468xAA-holder that'll require me to recharge cells for about a week once they're empty.
Sadly, I'm not up-to-date on the latest C-sized LiIon cells. Are 26500 cells the only option I have to fit three of them in the Mag? Modding the tailcap etc. wouldn't be a problem, but 3*50mm is pretty much the max length I'll get in there, right?
Are there any good sources for protected 26500 cells?
I've looked at AW's IMR26500 cells, but I don't think those are what I want since they're unprotected. Is there any simple (cheap) way of adding a protection circuit to the lamp? Just recharging it often will not be an option since it'll actually get used. I don't want that thing blowing up in my hands...

Thanks
moj

Last edited:

Stephen Wallace

Enlightened
Unfortunately, when you add a protection circuit, the battery ends up being longer than the bare cell. Ultrafire make a 25500 protected li-ion battery, and they seem better than a lot of Ultrafire's rubbish, but they are considerably longer than 50mm in length due to the protection circuit, and you won't get three of them in a 2D Maglite, no matter what spring mods you carry out.

moj

Newly Enlightened
Thanks so far.

Seems like I'll be better off getting a 9A buck converter from DerWichtel (if he's still got any left), wire the LEDs parallel and use two 32650s from novaeproducts? Will that work?
edit: I see it just now, the max. discharge rate for those cells is 0.6C. So that's not gonna work...

Guess there are no decent protected 26500 cells available. I've found the Spectrum Battery Monitor from western-robotics that could be used with three IMR26500, but it's just as expensive as DerWichtel's driver, so I don't see the point in it really.

Last edited:

The_bad_Frag

Enlightened
You can use this driver and mod it to 3A. Its written in the manual what you must do.

Then you can wire the leds in series and use 2x32650. :wave:

I read somewhere here in the forum that those 32650s from novaeproducts can handle a lot more than 0.6C.

Last edited:

moj

Newly Enlightened
Thanks. That sounds like a good solution. Does anyone have any experience with that driver? The specs seem pretty nice...

cdrake261

Enlightened
Thanks so far.

Seems like I'll be better off getting a 9A buck converter from DerWichtel (if he's still got any left), wire the LEDs parallel and use two 32650s from novaeproducts? Will that work?
edit: I see it just now, the max. discharge rate for those cells is 0.6C. So that's not gonna work...

Guess there are no decent protected 26500 cells available. I've found the Spectrum Battery Monitor from western-robotics that could be used with three IMR26500, but it's just as expensive as DerWichtel's driver, so I don't see the point in it really.

Get some orange label 26650 IMR's...suppose to be 20 amp max discharge