Olight M20

coyotehawk

Newly Enlightened
Got my eye on the Olight M20 but would like to know if there are any other lights in the $100 price range that are better. Tactical is ideal but not a must. I could POSSIBLY put in on an AR but not what I'm buying for. Any other lights you recommend I look at?

Bobby_C

Newly Enlightened
It's a great flashlight but you might want to give some more info about what you want/need/expect from the light. Battery type, beam pattern, light output, run times, etc.

I have a M20-X and love the light. It doesn't have a tight beam and it's a little floody so you see more than just your target.

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
A few more specifics as to what you want would help. So far it sounds like you want a weapon mountable, approx ( 6 " ) 145mm long, 2CR123 or 1 18650 style light ? The M20 is a good choice. Then you can buy the momentary tail switch for your gun as needed.

Chidwack

Enlightened
One thing that I like about the M20 is that it's tough as nails. Has very good throw for it's size. Battery life on high is about as good as it gets for one 18650 battery. So far, and I have not been in this game for very long, it is the lights that I judge my other lights by. Great light.

coyotehawk

Newly Enlightened
I'll explain a little of what i'm looking for, as well as what I am currently working with.

I just recently bought an SR-51 so throw is not a hug thing because I already have a thrower, just not in the compact size. I would like something that has good throw yet a good amount of spill so that I can still see where i'm walking in the dark. My ultimate plan for this light is for walking thick brush in the dark. So i would like something that I can pinpoint a rodent if I see it, yet still have enough light spilling over to where I wont trip on any downed trees in my immediate proximity. I would like to have a 100-200 mode that would last several hours, as well as a max mode that has a decent 1.5-3 hours or so. Battery type honestly doesnt matter because I have an abundance of all batteries. 18650s for my SR51 and have an unlimited supply of AA/AAA batteries at my disposal.

I'm going to be preordering a zebralight H600(W) when the neutral light is available so this is going to be just another light to pack in my pocket for those times of need/as a backup light. I'm becoming a flashlight whore and I'm just thinking about different situations that I may find myself in that my current lights may not work well in. Can never have too many lights for every possible situation.

Currently, my backup light is a 100lm LED Lenser and I absolutely cannot stand the fact that the light dims as the batteries get low. So i'm looking for something that is regulated so the light will not dim with power loss but just shut off.

Also, I see on goinggear.com there are many extra (drop in) options to purchase for the M20. Anyone able to elaborate on these and recommend if this light actually needs ungrades or not? Any recommendations if so?

Last edited:

Chidwack

Enlightened
The new M20s X might be the light for you. I have the M20s S2 with the optional smooth reflector. The smooth reflector does give me a little extra throw but the OP reflector that comes with the light still has plenty of throw and it has a smoother beam. From what I understand the new S20s X will give off more light but doesn't have the throw the M20s S2 has. As far as the drop n options go, they will allow you to upgrade to the latest configurations. I have found that change is not always good depending on what your needs are.

snowkap

Newly Enlightened
the class of light your looking at is loaded with quality lights I have the m20 with a xml drop in and like it alot, but my go to is my eagle tac T20C2 with xml t6 so listen to all that reply to your thread, pick a brand and I don't think you'll be disappointed

Bobby_C

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like the M20-X might be what you're looking for. It has more spill than the M20 and just a little less throw. There are drop-in options for these lights but I don't think you'll need it. The Med is 100 lm for 5 hrs.

I've been very impressed with my M20-X. It's extremely well made and feels great in the hand. The side switch is very cool.

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just my $0.02 cents from the new guy. Although I love the output selection UI on my M30 which is on the M20-X. After viewing Marshall's side by side video review on the M20-X and M21-X (which I also own the M30 shown in this video's beam comparison review. I'd like to ad that the M20-X did impress since it stood (held it's own) next to the M30, but in a smaller configuration).

http://www.youtube.com/user/goingprepared?blend=5&ob=5#p/u/5/t1a3-CITWhw

I purchased the M21-X for it's longer throw and slightly larger spill.

However, the 5 minute run time when on it's high output setting, after which it'll reduce the output to 60% maybe an issue for your use, but is a non-issue in regards to how I use the light. So I guess the M20-X might be better in this regards!

When I turned the light on last night (although it has a greenish tint to the beam when close, a non issue at distances) and saw the spill and throw, … It put an instant smile on my face!

Good luck!

Pops

Last edited:

coyotehawk

Newly Enlightened
I gotta be honest. I'm leaning more toward the M20s S2 as opposed to the M20s X Warrior simply due to the run times.

M20s S2

• 5 lm (600hrs)
  • 115 lm (12hrs)
  • 340 lm (4hrs)

M20s X Warrior

• 10 lm (85hrs)
  • 100 lm (5hrs)
  • 500 lm (1.5hrs)
  • Strobe (1.5 hrs)
*DISREGARD, just read the S2 has a strobe as well.* 500 lm is no big for me as I said, I have the Olight SR-51 for extreme bright. Strobe would be nice for a defense stance but the hrs on the S2 just blow my mind compared to the others in this line. I would guess that most of my use with this light would be on the 100ish lumen option and 115 lumens for 12 hrs compared to 100 lumens for 5 hrs is a big difference.

Are the cool colors really that noticeable compared to a neutral white?

Last edited:

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, yeah real difference in runtimes! I don't look at or consider run times, as much as the lights beam (?)! Because I work out of my motorhome.

Pops

Bobby_C

Newly Enlightened
Wow, that's a huge difference in run times. Had I known, I'd probably gone with the S2 too. I might have to pick up a S2 drop-in.

Rancid Badger

Newly Enlightened
The M20 Warrior Premium was one of the first "proper" flashlights which I bought. Originally I bought it to use as a weapon light (on an AR), at which it excelled until I replaced it with an M21 (SST-50).

My M20 now serves as my work light & regualrly gets knocked about in my toolbox, gets dropped & gets wet (brine as well as fresh water). It has never missed a beat, but neither has my M21, which is notably brighter & throws further.

I'd have no qualms about recomending either the M20 or M21, it just depends on your intended use as to which is more suitable.

coyotehawk

Newly Enlightened
Decided to go with the S2. I just couldn't justfy going for less run time with the others. Ordered from going gear today. Grabbed the smooth reflector and diffuser as well.

Bobby_C

Newly Enlightened
Congrats! I don't think you'll be disappointed with the light.

Chidwack

Enlightened
I'm sure you will be very happy with your light. I also have the smooth reflector and I find myself changing from one to the other now and again. I always seem to go back to the smooth reflector. Keep in mind that to get 4 hours run time in the high mode, you will have to use quality batteries. I get 4 hours with both AW and Redilast 2900 batteries. I don't seem to notice any drop in brightness for 3 to 3.5 hours and then it gets a little dimmer out to 4 hours. I still had plenty of usable light after 4 hours but I didn't extend the tests past that time. I have found that I get 3 to 3.5 hours on trustfire 2400 flame wrapper batteries which have been my second best battery. I think you will find that the AW and Redilast will also burn cooler in your light. Good Luck.

JoVo

Newly Enlightened
Keep in mind that the different runtimes could be a result of different ways to measure them. The M20S S2 was certainly not rated ANSI FL1, the M20X might be. I used to have a M20S R5 and it definitely did not get those runtimes, maybe half of that.

Jonas

coyotehawk

Newly Enlightened
I picked up a few extra AW 2900 batteries when I made the purchase. 21 bucks a piece is a little steep but i new I needed some more 18650s. Only had 4 to rotate in and out of my SR-51.

JoVo,
I can only imagine that the run times are going to be close to projected. Though like I said, I plan on using the 115 lm option the most.

coyotehawk

Newly Enlightened
A little update for anyone who may be thinking about the S2 version of the M20. Purchased initially from goinggear.com. Recived an email 2 days after my purchase telling me that they S2 was out of stock and they were not sure if they were getting anymore in. I called them to see what the issue was and they said another company bought up most of the XP-G S2 LEDs and that the availability of these specific lights would be very limited. So I checked several other websites and started to notice that the advertisements were saying "discontinued". I called one last place, all-battery.com and they had some in stock. So if any of you were planning on one of these lights in the future, you might wanna try to jump on it now before its too late.