Imalent        

Thread: Help me guys, I need a new light

Enlightened

Yellowlaugh Help me guys, I need a new light

First off, I have $150.00 to $175.00 to spend. I'm looking for a light that has really good throw and decent flood. At first I thought maybe the Fenix TK41 would be the one but I watched a few videos and it looks like there is really no flood at all.
    As far as batteries, I have AW 18650's and RCR123's and Eneloops AA and AAA's.
    There are so many choices out there its hard to choose. This light will be used for home defense and when my wife and I go walking. Size isn't a concern.
    Thanks for any help

Default Re: Help me guys, I need a new light

Quote Originally Posted by glock19er View Post
    First off, I have $150.00 to $175.00 to spend. I'm looking for a light that has really good throw and decent flood. At first I thought maybe the Fenix TK41 would be the one but I watched a few videos and it looks like there is really no flood at all.
    As far as batteries, I have AW 18650's and RCR123's and Eneloops AA and AAA's.
    There are so many choices out there its hard to choose. This light will be used for home defense and when my wife and I go walking. Size isn't a concern.
    Thanks for any help
    With that budget and with your battery collection, maybe the big SR90 would fit the bill.

If you want a small light, maybe those cool-looking titanium limited-edition lights might fill the bill! V10R Ti for example.

Quote Originally Posted by roadkill1109 View Post
    With that budget and with your battery collection, maybe the big SR90 would fit the bill.

If you want a small light, maybe those cool-looking titanium limited-edition lights might fill the bill! V10R Ti for example.
    The SR90 is a really nice light but it's got its own battery pack and over double his budget.

Fenix TK45? Funky looking light but in a cool way.

I am in almost the exact same boat. I have about 200-350 I am willing to drop on a light. I have all Malkoff's and Surefire's that I could want. Have a Quark Turbo as well. They are all great and reliable lights but no real monster. I also don't have a thrower yet.

I have narrowed my search down to an SR-51 which will throw quite well, is around $150 bucks and has some nice touches, like a case. It also takes my 18650's. Also of interest is the sunwayled/sunwayman line of lights. they have the M40C/A and M60R. The M40A takes aa's and the M40C takes 123's or 18650s. I am yet to read anything bad about them and people keep saying that the fit and finish is on par if not better than Surefire's, which to me have been the best production stuff I have come across.

Also there is the Olight M3X, good thrower, Thrunight Catapult (cool light but I feel like there are already v1 v2 and v3 and I would just be a generation behind in a couple of weeks). Also the Thrunight Scorpion w/Turbo head is a good light that throws well but it just seems kind of on the fringe for me.

4Sevens has the Maelstom S and X line but they have weird battery options and no 18650 support. Silly to me.

The Fenix TK-35 was on the list but I feel like its becoming dated. Also the donut hole and green tints, although they are now less common still scare me.

There are certainly a few other nice ones out there. My advice would be to go to goinggear.com and scope out all of the videos. There is also a youtube channel that compares literally dozens of them one after another, all of the top ones.

There's a U2 going for less than $100 on the MP right now...might be the best $100 you ever spent. My $.02, FWIW.