Malkoff let down... just too jaded??

BirdofPrey

Enlightened
Let me start by saying this is not a Malkoff bash thread at all. Now, with that out of the way, let me get to what I wanted to address.

I just received my mag lite drop in the other day. Was super excited. Bear in mind, I have quite a selection of lights at home and some of them are real powerhouses so I will say that perhaps I'm just jaded and that's why I'm not overly impressed by the output.

I have two lights with the same LED as the Malkoff so I figured output would be roughly the same. However, once I got it dropped in (3 D host) I was expecting a super bright beam. In reality, I got a medium intensity beam with a useable spill.

Would a glass lens make a noticeable improvement? Don't get me wrong, I like it for a "go-to" light when stepping outside to check on the dog or see what is roaming around the property but generally I still grab my Eagletac M2C4 or occasionally my TK70.

Any thing I could do to maybe bump up the brightness?

JacobJones

Enlightened
The brightness is limited. As you are probably well aware maglites have non existent heatsinking, so drop in modules have to be limited in brightness to prevent them cooking themselves

Norm

Retired Administrator
The brightness is limited. As you are probably well aware maglites have non existent heatsinking, so drop in modules have to be limited in brightness to prevent them cooking themselves

Which doesn't apply to the Malkoff and other quality units, Macs for instance.

Norm

BirdofPrey

Enlightened
I figured to get something at least as bright as my Fenix headlamp and maybe even close to my Maelstrom. My Malkoff isn't as bright as either.

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Malkoff mag drop in isnt cutting edge by any means. However, it does what it was designed to do quite well. Provide a simple, sturdy, efficient and reliable mag improvement. Have a couple of the older 2-3D xpg ones. One was used as my tire thumper for about a year. Never had an issue despite it taking a literal beating 5-6 days a week. I think they are rated at 250 lumen or something around there. Keeps the adjustable beam aspect of the mag host functioning as well. Not to mention it's runtime. And of course the fact that it's backed by Malkoffs CS.

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the reflector was trimmed properly and adjusted for best focus you should be getting a REALLY bright pencil beam + spill out of that maglight. First thing I'd check is batteries, make sure they're either brand new or fully charged if they're rechargeables. Also that you have the correct drop-in for your battery configuration. There used to be a 4-6D and a 2-3 D dropin. If you got one of the old ones from the CPF marketplace or elsewhere then you need the 2-3D module for full output. If it's a new 3-6D module then you should be getting full output on 3 batteries. And yes, sometimes expectations are just a bit too high, give it a try at night vs some of your other XPG lights and see how it does. It aught to out-throw most of them, if it doesn't then something is wrong with either the drop-in, installation, or the mag body/switch.

Curias

Newly Enlightened
The Malkoff Devices website clearly states that it produces 260 lumens. You have other lights with stated lumens to compare that number with. 260 lumens is 260 lumens, what were you expecting?

uknewbie

Banned
Firstly, congratulations on successfully buying anything from Malkoff. Anytime I have looked there is a waiting list, everything is out of stock etc.

Sure they make high quality drop ins from what I hear, you never really read anyone saying anything but this, so I don't doubt it. When it comes to this making a Maglite some super reliable torch though, I just can't see the logic. The remaining weak points of the original cheapo Mag still remain in many cases, the switch for one.

260 lumens from a 3D sized light? Given that you own a TK70 it is easy to see why this would not impress you. I appreciate high quality, but not at the expense of all else.

Your Eagletac overall is probably better in every way. I just can't see why people continue making these Mag mods. If you are good at this, and Malkoff surely is, then just concentrate on making your own lights, complete with bodies and switches and all.

You will not struggle to sell it though I suspect if you decide to.

FPSRelic

Enlightened
Youre really comparing apples to watermelons here. The Eagletac M2C4 and the Fenix(?) TK70 are lights that have been built from the ground up for brightness and power. The new breed of chinese built light powerhouses. The Malkoff drop-in is designed to breathe new life into an old friend - the venerable 3D Maglite. Owned by 98% of Candlepowerforums members at one time or another.

Sadly, my trusty 20 year old 3D maglite got lost to removalist limbo the last time we moved. If I ever find it again, I'll be sure to upgrade it with one of Malkoff's drop ins.

z17813

Newly Enlightened
The Malkoff Devices website clearly states that it produces 260 lumens. You have other lights with stated lumens to compare that number with. 260 lumens is 260 lumens, what were you expecting?

That is the main point for me, it does what it says it will (probably more) is very well made & incredibly reliable.
When you own lots of lights it's natural to compare them to each other, but always wanting them to be brighter or better in some way can be an expensive path that will have you purchasing another light every week.
The fact the you have lights that are brighter than this doesn't make this one any less bright, but one of the other good things about Malkoff drop ins is that if you decide one you have doesn't suit you can always get a good price if you want to sell them on the marketplace.

utlgoa

Enlightened
I wish Malkoff would hurry up and release a Cree XM-L Drop-In before Maglite stops producing Halogen Flashlights.

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you had actually seen a Malkoff Mag dropin, you would know that the Malkoff dropin provides excellent heatsinking abilities.

Tommygun45

Enlightened
The other funny thing about the Malkoff, just throw it on the market if you're not that impressed and you will get your money back in about 5 minutes. Then go and buy some mag drop in from dx for 20 bucks that will put out 1000 lumens. However it will put out 600 for 2 minutes and then die after 20. Then one day within a few months it just won't work. You see, I had an M61 that I put a battery in the wrong way, and fried it. I told gene and he had actually sent me a replacement before I had even mailed him that one back. That's the difference.

uknewbie

Banned
The drop in itself may well have decent heat sinking, but the Mag doesn't. The body is quite important of course as part of a good heat management design and the drop in for a budget host just can't compete with a decent light designed from the ground up.

There only is so much mass available in the drop in after all. The body lacks mass and any cooling aids such as fins or real knurling.

Then again with drop ins like this with such low output, it matters less I suppose.

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
In addition to the heatsinking issues as posted by uknewbie, there is also the issue that both the reflector and lens are made out of plastic. In high-powered lights, they have to be made out of materials that will resist high temperatures, most commonly aluminum and glass, respectively. Putting high-intensity emitter next to plastic parts will warp or melt them.

uknewbie

Banned
Older tech, assuming it hasn't been abandoned, will be more reliable because people will have worked out all the bugs.

You seem to be assuming that because Maglites have been around a long time and remain unchanged, this is because previous bugs have been worked out. I suggest it is just because it is cheaper and more profitable to keep churning out the same lights as long as people keep buying. If sales of the D cell Mag for instance dropped off to nowt, watch how fast they would change that design to any other that would sell, 18650 included if that was where the demand happened to be, which of course just now it isn't.

They are anything but reliable in my experience, espescially in incan form. Numerous parts such as lens, switch and bulbs are easily breakable, and often do.

I have not seen any bugs ironed out of Maglites, same plastic switches, same button covers that fly off first time you have to run while holding one (yes, FIRST time on THREE Mags I have done this with!), same easily scratched up lens and body, same easy to break incan bulbs (less so now with some eventual LEDs, albeit poor ones)

They are so good demand for Malkoff and the like exists, which this thread is about. I am not surprised though that 260 lumens from a 3D sized light does not impress the average Joe, nevermind a member on here.

I abandoned the idea of modded Mag some time ago when I realised it just made no sense. Even when you make one bright you have a poorer host, anodizing, heatsinkning and end up with something bigger, heavier and sometimes more expensive than if you had just bought a new light to begin with.

JacobJones

Enlightened
I abandoned the idea of modded Mag some time ago when I realised it just made no sense. Even when you make one bright you have a poorer host, anodizing, heatsinkning and end up with something bigger, heavier and sometimes more expensive than if you had just bought a new light to begin with.

personally I think maglites make good hosts, lots of space inside them to play about with, how many other hosts are there that you can fit a 10 watt hid ballast in.

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Never had a mag fail on me aside from the bulbs or my own abuse. Worn down parts are replaceable easy enough. Bit of polish and the lens cleans up. Malkoff pretty much fixed the bulb issue. They also have enough thermal mass (fins can be added via machining or aftermarket) to take more if wanted.

What's the run time on the tk70 on alkalines? Or on 4D nimhs vs a matching 4 D Malkoff/Mag? The D Mag is the venerable 350 chevy of the flashlight world. Runs well if maintained, most times fine if abused. Parts are abundant and the aftermarket is huge.