streamlight polytac vs surefire G2

cheeman150

Newly Enlightened
Which one should i buy? which one is cheaper? which one is brighter? and more importantly which one is MORE RELIABLE? . I intend to use this flashlight in a life and death situation which one should i buy?

Mike 208

Enlightened
I've seen the SL Polytac priced cheaper than the G2 (especially after SF's recent price increase). I would think they're about equal in reliability. I think it just depends on what UI you want: the SL has a foward "click switch," while the SF has "tactical" switching (push for momentary, twist for constant). With the G2, you have the option of using one of several after-market emitters (both LED and incandescent), which I don't believe are available for the Polytac. The Polytac does come in the "HP" (for "High Performance") version, which is a little brighter that the "standard" version and is supposed to throw its beam further. I think either the G2 or Polytac will serve you well, as both are from very respected companies.

BIGLOU

Enlightened
Get the G2 you can later put a P60L (80 Lumen) light assembly or KX4 (120 Lumen) module and run it on 2xRCR123s. Cheaper in cost or quality? If its going to be used in a life and death situation cost should not be an issue. Streamlight and Surefire are both quality and reliable lights, but I prefer Surefire. Most importantly there is an array of parts that can be legoed to the G2.

Last edited:

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
both are good. it really depends on how you plan on using it.

if you plan on buying the light, and using it as is. the polytac is brighter, has a good forward clicky switch, and only takes cr123 lithiums. streamlight rates it at 70 lumens?? but ive seen it in action and its at least 100 lumens.

the G2 can be customized with different drop-ins, switches, and is open to more battery options.

also the polytac is cheaper in price when compared to the G2L.

the G2L would be more reliable then the G2 model. simply because its using a LED instead of an incasdesant bulb.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
1- Which one should i buy?

2- which one is cheaper?

3- which one is brighter?

4- and more importantly which one is MORE RELIABLE?

5- . I intend to use this flashlight in a life and death situation which one should i buy?

1 - G2

2- Polytac

3- G2

4- G2

5- G2

Please let us know if you have anymore questions. Thank You.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I vote for the G2. You can buy a 7.4v Chinese bulb and use RCR123 or with the P60 you can use a 17670 (not very bright). Primaries with P61 are quite bright, but expensive to run. In a life and death situation, use a stock G2. I have a G2 with a malkoff P91. Nice floody light. It would light a whole room, but not a whole alley. A G2 with primaries and P61 would be a good choice. I have several streamlight flashlights (6 or 7) and they are 100% reliable, but not very bright.

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
I vote for the G2. You can buy a 7.4v Chinese bulb and use RCR123 or with the P60 you can use a 17670 (not very bright). Primaries with P61 are quite bright, but expensive to run. In a life and death situation, use a stock G2. I have a G2 with a malkoff P91. Nice floody light. It would light a whole room, but not a whole alley. A G2 with primaries and P61 would be a good choice. I have several streamlight flashlights (6 or 7) and they are 100% reliable, but not very bright.

I'm running my G2 with 2x RCR123's and a Surefire P90 lamp, great set up.

bccan

Newly Enlightened
A little late to the dance but I happen to have bought both G2L & Polytach C4 same night @ Cabellas when they had SF on sale. As a result of the sale, PT was $10 more expensive. Got them out in the dark, on the outskirts of the parking lot.

PT was much brighter, much more throw, kinda nice defined ring of spill. Don't know which switch I like better. SF feels a little more substantial & MAYBE tougher but I have dropped the PT numerous times & it is unaffected. I still very much like the G2L also - have them in all the cars.

I have a few different SF's (L1, L2's, U2, St Min's) & love them all, have that PT which is a nice little light, also have a Polystinger C4 & that is really nice light that has survived some pretty hard drops on concrete & doesn't even notice it.

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
has anyone tried the HP version of the polytac....A fireman buddy of mine has one. I could light things up 500 feet away and it seem to have enough brightness to shine further

SG688

Newly Enlightened
I have two Polytac LED lights. I like them, but find them oddly ... slippery... to hold. Combination of the material and the shape.

I like the Polytac beam better than the KX4 Surefire beam, which is more floody. Both rated at 120 lm.

herosemblem

Enlightened
My G2L's, both 80 lumen and 120 lumen versions never really lasted long. I loved the design, but looking back on things, I got rid of all 7 of mine because the real-life actual maybe 35minutes of solid-high runtime was just garbage.
After that, the light steadily got dimmer and dimmer...