newbe.

chr!s

Newly Enlightened
hi all.
recently purchased a surefire 6p online for work as general torch's didnt do the job (plumber and heating eng)
wanted to upgrade but found it difficult to find any UK based sites selling surefire or solarforce accessories .
Firstly i recieved to P61 upgrade but wanted more power, so i ordered a Q5 super bright after reading other posts on here.
few days ago i ordered an extension with solarforce li ion 3.7v 16340 880mah batterys ( hoping to max out the 18V bulb for max power. but after installing the new extension nothings working. i've read about putting the old spring back on the drop in and tried that but no luck. so this is over my head, so i registered here to see if anyone can shed light on my problem.
the extension i recieved is described as a 'SF Extension Tube (for an extra 1x18650 or 2xCR123a)' http://ant-supplies.co.uk/TorchExtensionTubes.aspx. which is the second product down and the haii version.
do i maybe need a compatible switch?
(also got 18650 batteries but found they dont fit) (fit extension but not surefire body\)
as you can tell i'm new to this and would appriciate the help.
many thanks chris. UK, wales

chr!s

Newly Enlightened
Also is the Cree q5 a good drop in to be using for my set up? Any upgrades which would help like diff battery or are the c123 pretty good? Suitable money, Not OTT In the £100's

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
welcome to the site.
As you know your 18650 doesn't fit in the SF 6P tube, do you know why? Batteries have a number designation. 18 means 18mm wide. 65 means 65mm long. 0 means it's round.
The SF 6P is bored (inside of the tube diameter) for 16mm. You will need to send the light to someone to have it bored larger.

I will let someone more knowledgeable about the dropins add his 2 pennies

jl123

Newly Enlightened
Getting my 6p bored is on my wish list for sure. There's just something about a single cell to change out. Also reduces the spares carried. I can't imagine carrying AAs or AAAs.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
So your 18 volt Q5 will not work with 4X3.7 volts (16.8 volts fully charged)? You are not getting electrical contact to the LED? Try wrapping the LED drop-in with aluminum foil to see if you can get some current flowing. Also, your extension may not be making electrical contact with the SF body. If you extension threads are anodized try scraping some of the anodize off of the extension threads.

Bill

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
The old spring? From the Surefire? There should have been a spring with the new dropin. Look at images of dropins online and you'll see the spring I'm talking about. The Surefire spring would be too small for an aftermarket dropin. Maybe I'm reading your post wrong. Also, clean every thread and contact with alcohol. Try touching a paper clip from the body to the battery. If it lights, it's your switch. If it does not light, your problem is forward of the switch. Good luck and welcome to CPF.

chr!s

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replys. I'm guessing it's the cheap extension and I'll try get a Stanley knife or steel wool to clean them off.

chr!s

Newly Enlightened
Update: Removed tailcap, put a paperclip over the extension and battery. Comes on. So I'm guessing it's the tailcap problem. I've noticed it doesn't screw perfectly down onto my extension but the spring is touching. Mite try sand abit of the inside if the extension to see if the cap screws down and makes electrical contact. If not I'll have to by a matching tailcap make as the extenion which is solarforce I think