anyone have a valiant little twisty & a SureFire e-series head?

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
If anyone has any SureFire led head & corresponding valiant concepts twisty body that fulfills its battery requirement, would you mind checking to see if they actually work together? Valiant Concepts seems to think it will OK as the bodies are e-series compatible, but could not confirm for sure.

I just found it odd that I couldn't find any record of this having been done before on cpf, & am hoping someone has an example of both parts & is willing to test the combo for me.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can confirm that this does not work. The battery top sits slightly above the top of the body on the Little Twisty. If you press the battery down until it bottoms out it won't be much more than slightly below the top of the body. The E series heads all require that the battery top sit about 3/16" below the top of the rim. The threads won't engage when you're pressing the head onto the battery and it bottoms out.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay understood. Really appreciate the info, you saved me some time & expense.

Too bad they changed it, but probably better for what it's designed, the vme head. I'm guessing the originals are hard to come by now.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had a chance to play with the earlier two-piece body and it's nice, but, since you have an extra set of threads the wrong part unthreads when trying to turn off the light sometimes.

Howecollc

Enlightened
JS Burly's still had some stock of the originals long after they disappeared from the Malkoff site. They're not showing any left now, but they seem like the kind of place that might be able to locate one just lying around.

The two-piece design did indeed have some resolvable thead issues when used with the VME, but works flawlessly with my KL4 and E1E heads.

http://www.jsburlys.com/index.php?app=ecom&ns=catshow&ref=valiantconceptsflashlightparts

Last edited:

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
JS Burly's still had some stock of the originals long after they disappeared from the Malkoff site. They're not showing any left now, but they seem like the kind of place that might be able to locate one just lying around.

The two-piece design did indeed have some resolveable thead issues when used with the VME, but works flawlessly with my KL4 and E1E heads.

http://www.jsburlys.com/index.php?app=ecom&ns=catshow&ref=valiantconceptsflashlightparts

Great, thanks for the tip, I'll ask them about the originals. Were those available with flat tails as well? Hopefully they're not too much longer than the new ones, because that's the reason (along no clip & head twist) I'm looking to something like this instead- the little twisty 2-123 looks quite a bit shorter than an executive body.

Howecollc

Enlightened
The picture linked to in post #4 is what they called "flat bottom". The other option was called "lugged" and accommodated a lanyard just like the new style can. They never made a body in the originals that had the wider flared bottom like the new style now does.

While looking around for an image of the older lanyard model I stumbled onto the old webpages at JS Burlys. They're not catalogued with the other Valiant products, but do show up in the index of all available products. Turns out that while the "flat bottom" is sold out, the "lugged" model is still available.

http://www.jsburlys.com/index.php?app=ecom&ns=prodshow&ref=valiantconceptsetwistylanyard

By the way: the original bodies were only available in single cell configurations.

Last edited:

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
By the way: the original bodies were only available in single cell configurations.

Ah thanks for adding that, good catch. That does make it simple. I should have said from the start it was for two cells, but didn't want to prevent anyone from trying with a one cell head & body since I was just trying to determine physical compatability in general. But that's okay, I'll probably end up trying their current 2-123 little twisty with the VME head & malkoff dropin, since that's what it works best with.

Really appreciate your time & knowledge on this one, thank you.

Latest posts