Time to find a new EDC and give my LF3XT some rest

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well the old LF3XT has stood the tests of daily carry but I'm looking at giving it some rest as a backup... maybe on the 2AA tube. I've been gone for months at a time in the last year so not sure I am tracking all the newer stuff even after looking around.

I'm looking for:
- either 1xcr123 or 1xAA format (with a rechargeable option be it RCR, NiMH, or 14500)
- low at least down in the single digit lumens
- high at least closing in on 200 lumens but more is better as long as there aren't other tradeoffs just to get a brighter high I will rarely use
- secure clip (prefereably lens down in the pocket)
- neutral emitter (not warm but neutral)
- balanced beam pattern, hotspot and useful spill

Can't haves:
- reverse clicky
- head significantly bigger in diameter the body (takes up pocket space for head down)
- titanium or stainless steel body

Options I am looking at so far:
HDS Clicky
Lumapower Incendio V3U
Jetbeam RRT-0
Zebralight SC31*/51*
Peak Logan QTC (w/ momentary switch and overready clip)

Anything else to throw into the comparison?

Last edited:

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about a Zebralight? Their 1xAA models are the same size as most companies 1x123 twisty models. Available in cool, neutral, and high CRI emitters. Great top end output, very low lows, and incredible run times on the lower settings. The new AA based models don't accept 14500's, but some members here use them anyway and report good results. The 123 based models can use either primaries or RCR's.

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about a Zebralight?
Oh, totally missed the numbers of flashlightlights as opposed to headlights they had out now. What I get for not being around that often. Definitely in the mix now.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, totally missed the numbers of flashlightlights as opposed to headlights they had out now. What I get for not being around that often. Definitely in the mix now.

Their new SC lights are great little EDC lights. I have one of the older SC50w+ models; it's been my main EDC light for over a year now. It's only 107 lumens on max on an eneloop or L91, but it can also take 14500's which gives it a nice little boost in power, up to 170 lumens. I still use it because it has a slightly warmer tint with its XPE-Q4/5B than the newer XPG neutral models. When I run it with a 14500, it's just as bright as the neutral XPG ones, the only difference being less run-time for mine. I don't have big run-time requirements for my use, so I haven't felt a need to get a newer one. Well, strictly speaking, that's not true... I do want one of the SC51c models, that have a high CRI emitter in them... I've just been too broke for a while to afford one. :)

They have a new SC600 with a T6 XML in it that will do 750 (!) lumens for 5 min. before it steps down to 500 lumens. :eek: It run on a single 18650 and is definitely quite a mighty-mouse... They also have a new light called the Q50 also using an XML with a spec max of 800 lumens out the front, that runs on 4xAA. It's generated quite a buzz here lately. It's currently available for pre-order, but I'm waiting for it in a neutral version. It's only 3.8 inches long and 1.3 inches square. Imagine that, 800 lumens coming out of something the size of one of my 3 y.o. daughters building blocks! :eek:oo:

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I notice that recently my Zebra SC51 gets used much more than other lights: its beam is very nice although slightly greenish at lower output and the levels are nicely spaced.
Surely worth a second glance when looking for a new small light. :cool:

BTW my LF3XT has rested too long and now needs some activity ... ;)

jayy42

Newly Enlightened
I am currently looking for a similar form factor light.

I am considering the JetBeam RRT-0 XM-L Takes RCR and CR123's

Or maybe a SC600. I wasn't really gonna consider 18650 for an EDC, but it is pretty small and people seem to like it. Won't take 123's.

I'll be eyeing this thread.

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTW my LF3XT has rested too long and now needs some activity ... ;)
B0wz3r already had me extremely interested. Someone who has the 3xt talking up the SC51 just added fuel to the fire. Love that little light and yours should stretch it's legs.

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
Edited first post in case someone starts reading from there to include
Zebralight SC31*/51*
Peak Logan QTC (w/ momentary switch and overready clip)

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
B0wz3r already had me extremely interested. Someone who has the 3xt talking up the SC51 just added fuel to the fire. Love that little light and yours should stretch it's legs.

Glad I could help. :) Personally, I'm waiting for the neutral version of the SC80 and for a neutral version of the Q50. I think it's amazing they're getting 800 lumens out of something that small that runs on 4xAA. I'm planning on getting two of the SC80's and one of the Q50's. I think it will make an excellent 'house light'. I'll load it up with 4xL91 and keep it in our pantry where it'll be easy to access when we need it, but still be out of they so the kids can't get to it. Then if we have a power outage or the like, it'll be there ready to go, and on the lower modes it should be able to light a room all night. For the SC80, I'm not actually planning on EDC-ing either of them, but will be using them for bike lights instead. I'm going to mount one on each side of my bike helmet, clone trooper style. :)