Where is the scariest place that you have been?

chaoss

Enlightened
With Halloween fast aproaching i thought it would be fun to hear scary stories from people that have been to/in eerie situations/places.

Perhaps an abandoned asylum, haunted house or old civil war site?

Please share.......

Imon

Enlightened
I remember about a year ago there was a thread entitled "Do you believe in ghosts?" - or something like that...
Anyways, things got pretty contentious with numerous flashaholics claiming to have witnessed the supernatural themselves. :ohgeez: Hopefully this thread doesn't degenerate into the flamewar that thread was.

Unfortunately I don't have any spooky stories to share because I'm not a believer in the supernatural but I do remember one particularly scary moment in my life. I was swimming in the ocean off the coast of Florida one day when I got caught up in a rip tide. The darn thing pulled me like 500 feet off the coast before I swam out of it. About halfway back to shore I was exhausted and I was thinking about how much it sucks to die like this. I think I looked pretty frantic too as I couldn't keep my head above water half the time.
Anyways somehow I found the strength to make it back to the shore and I collapsed on the beach with the lifeguard looking at me like "what's your problem?" :shakehead

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
On the highway.

It was a road trip planned with my best friend and a friend of his whom I only recently met. We were going to use the other guy's car. I believe it was a Saturn. Shortly after pulling away from the amusement park that my best friend insisted we had to visit. (Three hour drive from NYC.) I had recently gotten my driver's license. Both of my travel companions knew this. However, as I began exiting the parking lot of the park in order to get home; I got a bit confused by the poorly placed signs that led to the exit. The other guy nearly freaked out. He insisted that I had no clue what I was doing, and that my best friend drive. My best friend was exhausted. His other buddy didn't care, and didn't volunteer to drive his own car for awhile. Okay, it was his car. Not like we could argue the point with him. Soon after we leave and head into the night, one of the tires blew.

We were just far enough out that they both decided not to turn back, get a motel room for the night, get the tire fixed in the morning, and then head out. You know . . . the sensible thing. So we drove on a donut. Trying to not go over 35mph. After awhile, my exhausted best friend became far too exhausted to drive. Not only did his other buddy refuse to take the wheel of his own car, but he actually threw a hissy fit! Demanding that my best friend take him home now! "I want to go home! Take me home now!" Did I mention already that the owner of the car was a dude?

By now it was obvious my best friend could no longer continue. Mr. hissy fit said he now didn't have a problem with me driving. So, we stopped off at an all-night gas station. I got a large coffee and some Mountain Dew. Alternated between swigging the coffee and the Dew. Now I was wide awake! So, I drove for about 2 hours before my system started to crash. The road up ahead looked like a giant tongue. The lights looked like eyes, and I started hallucinating that other bits of the highway looked like Satan's face, and that we were riding down his tongue; straight into his mouth. Okay, time to get off at the very next rest stop. The rest stop had a full-blown mechanic shop attached to the gas station there. Earlier we had bought a full-sized spare from an all-night tire place. They gave us the spare, but told us they lacked the equipment to put it on the rim for us. (Lovely.)

Now at the rest stop in Ohio, the mechanic was kind-hearted enough to help us out. Even though his boss actually told him not to bother. We were finally on our way with the full-sized tire attached. My best friend felt more awake by then, so he drove the rest of the way as the Sun slowly came up.

Last edited:

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the altar count!? :grin2:
Of course it counts.

So does the very first Mother-in-Laws house ... That was scary every time , particularly when you realised that your new Wife was turning into her Mother.

Choose your Mother-in-Law first , then choose her Daughter ... That works out better.

beerwax

Enlightened
maternity ward

standing beside the bed in the maternity ward as the missus gave birth. all that screaming all that pain out comes the baby missus looks up and says 'well that wasnt so bad'. i was still shaking years later.

gruelling all those hours on the knifeedge watching all that suffering being inflicted on the the one you love knowing that at any moment if it goes bad all that is important could be taken from you. went back for round 2 and 3 and it didnt get any better.

Last edited:

curtispdx

Enlightened
Don't know if this counts: I was right in the middle of a street next to live, high-voltage power lines that were knocked down by an errant driver. The lines were melting the pavement.

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was dating a girl some years back and she had asked me if I wanted to go on a double date with her best friend and her friend's man. I agreed, not knowing what was in store. Much to my dismay, I had learned that they'd rented two kayaks to row around in Galveston Bay. I hate the ocean and just about any natural body of water. I kept imagining all the sharks and wildlife under the kayak as I rowed like a madman. My survival instinct kicked in along with my adenaline and I felt no lactic acid buildup in my muscles as I rowed at blindingly full speed for almost 2 hours straight. The girl I was dating just gave up and put her paddle up in the kayak as she told me she felt like she was just slowing us down. I literally did circles around her friends the entire time. I felt as if I stopped, a shark would capsize our kayak and eat us. A giant paddle steamboat full of tourists were obviously amused at my mad rowing, because as they passed by, you could see the flash of cameras aimed at us. Kayak + open ocean = extreme fear for Shao.

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was swimming in the ocean off the coast of Florida one day when I got caught up in a rip tide. The darn thing pulled me like 500 feet off the coast before I swam out of it

Same thing happened to me, except in Lake Michigan on a blustery August day about 8 years ago. Waves were 6-8' and I'm a powerful swimmer with a lot of class 5 rafting experience, but the water was 80 degrees and it was simply too nice to not play in the surf. Before I knew it a rip current had me, and even though I was only in chest deep water and could dig my feet in the sand feet the rip and high waves made it irrelevant. Out I went. Best way to describe a strong rip current is to tie a rope to your ankle and swim against a trolling motor. Also compound the fact that with fresh water there's less buoyancy and hence you tire a lot faster.

Current carried me about 150 meters towards Wisconsin, and attempts to swim parallel to shore were worthless - Waves were too big and the rip was too strong for that. Totally exhausted and gulping water I thought I'd had it and as a last resort flipped on my back and tried to float to keep from drowning. That saved my *ss - the strong surface current and waves started to blow me back towards shore. I waited until I was in waist deep water before digging in, and it still took me 15 minutes to make it too the beach. I then spent the rest of the afternoon pulling in other folks until the Coast Guard and Sheriff had enough and shut down the shoreline.

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
partway between an airplane and the earth, with a ripcord in my hand and no parachute coming out of the pack. At the time, it wasn't scary because I was busy doing the things I needed to do. It took a little time, but I did get my hand on the emergency ripcord and got the spare chute out in time to do some good. No injuries, no soiled skivies, and no more skydiving! :)

Actually, it was only scary when I told the story to people later!

Steve K.

richpalm

Banned
Inside my own mind... that's scary enough!!

I am ever the skeptic, but when my wife and I were in Gettysburg, (Northern War of Aggression re-enacting) this one qualifies on my Weird poop-O-Meter:

We were walking around the main square and went into a gift shop which 3 women owned. Immediately I smelled that alcohol-type smell same as the one that scared the crap out of me as a kid when I went to the doctor's office. You know... that "medical" smell. It was a very strange feeling as soon as I walked in the door and I asked the women if this place had ever been a drugstore. There was some hemming and hawing like "We don't tell anyone, usually... but..."

Seems the place had been a field hospital during the war. The women admitted that things flew off the shelves at times.

Thing is, I knew something medical had happened there as soon as I stepped in, and I'd never been in that place in my life nor heard any stories about it. Sometimes I have a very good sixth sense about things!

Rich

Last edited:

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can I change my answer? Reading some posts reminded me of the time I was trailed by a piece of human feces while tubing down the Guadalupe... I first spotted it at the beginning of my tubing adventure... I kept trying to slow myself down so that the turd would float downstream from me, but it seemed that no matter what I did, I'd look over and there it would be...

gearhead1972

Newly Enlightened
It wasn't scary to me but I will tell you the story, I was the person doing the scaring. This is about 1993 There is an old iron ore mine about 1.5 miles from where I grew up. We used to call it "The Satan Caves" It is a horizontal shaft about 1 mile long. There is a side shaft about 300 yards in, just at the point where you can't see light from the entrance. This side shaft is where supposedly Satan worshipers did their thing. In I had been through this mine as a teenager probably 50 times, so I knew it like the back of my hand. I was supposed to meet about 8 of my buddies there at 1pm, I was a little late, they were a little early. So they headed in without me, I thought I'll teach them. So I walked in to that point of the side shaft blacked out (I had my new at the time Streamlight SL20-XP with me). Then I waited, and waited, hidden in a little alcove. So they came walking back and just as the 4th or 5th guy got right in front of me, I let out the most guttural, blood curtailing scream I could muster....LOL you should have seen these 8 "tough guys" in their early 20's run like little girls. I had to run after them and stop them haha it was so funny, not to them though

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnbeck180

Enlightened
Inside my own mind... that's scary enough!!

I am ever the skeptic, but when my wife and I were in Gettysburg, (Northern War of Aggression re-enacting) this one qualifies on my Weird poop-O-Meter:

We were walking around the main square and went into a gift shop which 3 women owned. Immediately I smelled that alcohol-type smell same as the one that scared the crap out of me as a kid when I went to the doctor's office. You know... that "medical" smell. It was a very strange feeling as soon as I walked in the door and I asked the women if this place had ever been a drugstore. There was some hemming and hawing like "We don't tell anyone, usually... but..."

Seems the place had been a field hospital during the war. The women admitted that things flew off the shelves at times.

Thing is, I knew something medical had happened there as soon as I stepped in, and I'd never been in that place in my life nor heard any stories about it. Sometimes I have a very good sixth sense about things!

Rich

A few months back me and my wife were laying in bed. My wife was asleep, I was not, sometimes I have a hard time sleeping. It was about 3 A.M. We were watching our friends dog while our friend recovered from a surgery. The dog was lying at the end of the bed facing the door to our room. suddenly it barked twice. Not a play bark or let me in from outside bark, but a "I'm going to rip your face off bark". This woke my wife up.. What we saw next is very hard to explain but here it goes. I saw the apparition, witch looked like a man. walk through our room and to our laundry room. At the time I didn't know that the dog barking woke my wife up. Right as the apparition turned the corner to go into our laundry room my wife caught it out of the corner of her eye. She actually thought it was our son and called his man. The night prior to this and the night after this my wife told me I was sleepwalking....I do not sleep walk!!!! my wife said I was walking around the house saying I wanted to go out side. And hearing people talk that were not there. Some weeks later I was telling the fire chief about it. He has lived around here his whole life. He told me that about 20 years ago a guy shot himself in the head in our house. I've also heard someone rummaging through my son's toy box like there looking for something when I'm the only one home. our house is 111 years old. I have felt things in our house.. Like I'm being watched or I'm not the only one there. But It doesn't feel like it's malicious or wants to do harm it's like it just wants us to acknowledge it's presents. So I say hi and go on. The fire chief said it was an accident. Apparently the guy was drinking a lot and messing with his gun. And accidentally shot himself. Never thought I'd live in a haunted house.

Last edited:

CheepSteal

Enlightened
A few years ago I was playing in the wave area of a swimming beach and I was tackling the small waves for fun. Suddenly, a ginormous 8 to 9 foot wave crept up on me and I tried to run but it hit me and I was dumped on my head and heard my neck crack super loudly. When I gained composure, I thought I had broken my neck or something and become paralysed (because I felt so disorientated and not able to stand properly). Good news is I didn't break my neck but I've suffered a sore neck every day for years and sometimes get nerve shocks when I move my neck. I also came up the beach with a mouth full of sand, all through the gums and everything :sick2:
Scariest place = in front of an impending wave 1.5 times my size.
Cannot imagine what people in tsunami events would've felt.