ZebraLight - I finally get it

Tiggercat

Enlightened
When I first checked out ZebraLights, I liked the construction and performance, but hated the UI. It seemed very obvious that the switch was too easy to operate, and would come on in my pocket. Several posts here on CPF confirmed that, so I looked elsewhere. I continued to read the posts where it was argued whether unscrewing the tailcap to lock out the switch was part of the design, or a workaround for a flaw. I know some people are very passionate about that topic, and I'm not trying to change anyone's mind, but I figured it out for my purposes.

I have a touchscreen cell phone. Know what I do before I put it in my pocket?

Lock it, so it's not accidentally activated.

Considering that, and seeing as the ZL switch is an electric switch, not a manual one, it is totally logical to lock it to deactivate the switch. I do it multiple times a day with my phone without even thinking about it; why couldn't I do it with a light?

BTW, locking, whether for the phone, a light, or a cabinet, has another name: toddler control. :shakehead

I received both an SC31W and an SC51W last night, and sure enough, just 1/4 turn on the tailcap locks out the switch. I will fully admit, I looked at it the wrong way when I first tried these lights. Now that I have some better perspective, I'm a happy owner. :thumbsup:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good for you. It's really no big deal to twist the cap with one hand. I often carry my battle tested, abused SC30W in my pocket with my keys. A simple, actually less than, 1/4 turn either way takes care of things.

I noticed that the soon to be shipped SC80 has the more recessed switch of the SC600. I still haven't decided whether I like that better - once you've gotten used to the simple lockout, the switch is so intuitive and easy to use. I find the SC600 switch, while still easy, a bit more of a stretch for my big thumb!

And oh, by the way, EVERY time I go to use my iPhone, I have to slide the unlock slider! It's second nature...it's all in what we become accustomed to! :thumbsup:

Craig K

Enlightened
I just received a ZL SC31W and I love it , it is a fantastic little light.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tigger congrats on the new Zebralight's I carried a SC50 and SC60 for over a year and the switch rarely came on in my pocket so I never had to adjust to lock out, even if I would had the effort would have been well worth it to carry such a wonderful light.

All I can say now is you really have to give the SC600 a try and if you prefer AA the Q50 that is coming out soon.

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
You leave a round in the chamber and the safety off when you carry in public?

dude glocks don't have safety levers. that's the point theres no lever to get you killed when you forget to disable it.

so with flashlights i prefer that i don't have to unlock them. if that goal can be achieved through better design i.e. sc600 or through modding then i'll do it

but of course some people are more tolerant so good for them, i'm just not that type

Tiggercat

Enlightened
ummmmm when i shoot my glock i don't have to unlock it :)

But if you carry responsibly, you keep it in a holster that covers the trigger. A holster that covers the switch of a ZL would do the same. Electronic or physical, you're still using a protective mechanism. The problem people have with the ZL switch is that they expect it to behave like a physical switch, and it's not.

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
But if you carry responsibly, you keep it in a holster that covers the trigger. A holster that covers the switch of a ZL would do the same. Electronic or physical, you're still using a protective mechanism. The problem people have with the ZL switch is that they expect it to behave like a physical switch, and it's not.

That's a good point. I conceal carry using a holster which covers the trigger, and I have to lock & unlock my phone everytime I use it....but both of those are one handed operations. I used to edc a Zebra SC30 & sometimes a SC60, but got tired of having to lock & unlock it. Mostly because it's a two handed operation (yes it can be done with one hand, but that involes more manipulation than it was worth to me - at least for edc.) I now edc a quark AA, and like it fine without having to lock it out. The drawback though is I prefer the Zebralight UI over anything else. I'm hoping the SC80 solves this for me, and becomes my new edc without having to lock it out. We'll see.

Tiggercat

Enlightened
That gives me an idea - how about a ZL with a butane lighter-style safety trigger? Set it so the switch will only activate if your index finger puts pressure on a safety on the opposite side.

(I kid - I hate those things, though having a toddler, I am grateful for them.)

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast

yep that's exactly my point. a ZL switch is kinda like a glock trigger, they're softer than a double-action pull or mechanical clicky. the only safe way to carry them is in a holster...

OR

lockout the ZL and carry the glock without a round in the chamber. both solutions are SUB-OPTIMAL, requiring both hands to twist tailcaps or rack the slide

here's the optimal solution to the ZL :)

ejzevo.jpg

Last edited:

Chidwack

Enlightened
ummmmm when i shoot my glock i don't have to unlock it :)

That's because the lock is in the trigger. You unlock it every time you put your finger in the trigger guard and depress the trigger safety. This is why Glocks have to be carried in holsters that cover the trigger guard. This is so that something in your pocket or someone like a child doesn't stick their finger into the trigger guard and fire the weapon.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
FYI, the new Zebralight switch is more recessed and does not turn on accidently in your pocket. I EDC my SC600 and it has never turned on in my pocket. It looks like the SC80 has the same switch as the SC600 from the pictures.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats on your rediscovery!

The most appealing aspect of the ZebraLight user interface to me is its unparalleled ability to INSTANTLY jump to high OR low from off. Still pretty instant even if you have to unlock it first I guess, but it will be even better once we start getting their smaller edc's with the new & improved switch. Go ZebraLight!

jackbombay

Newly Enlightened
I don't know much about guns, I figured every gun made has a safety, I learned something new today...

But I do know I don't like lights turning on in my pocket, I think I'll have to try one of the newer AA zebra lights, I do like the side switch quite a bit :)