Blind Navigation

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
I have a personal tradition of adjusting to things (or adjusting them to me). When I was a kid, I found it uncomfortable to walk through rooms when I couldn't see (ie, at night). Personal lights weren't available, so I set about learning how to walk through smaller areas, blind.

I began with short walks in the day time with my eyes closed. As I improved and got more comfortable (and my shins healed), I made it into a game and started doing it at night. Walk up to a room, scan it, turn off the lights, then walk to the far end - eyes open but useless. First in familiar rooms, then in strange ones. At first, walking slow and precise (touching nothing), then fast, reaching out for key walls and corners.

These days, of course, there are easier ways to navigate through a dark room. But much of the time, the training kicks in and its easier (or just more natural) not to reach for the EDC - to walk blindly through.

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to do the same thing, but then my cat stopped trusting me after about the 18th time I stepped on her.

beerwax

Enlightened
i used to play that. even if there is a hint of light sneaking in past the blinds close your eyes and navigate the room from memory and using your judgement. try to land your hand on the doorknob or lightswitch across the other side. or the fridge handle . sometimes you would get it perfect. never took it outside tho.

nowadays those same moments are an oppurtunity to use one of my aaa lights.

cheers

UberLumens

Newly Enlightened
In the morning i don't like to open my eyes, its just too bright.

So generally i don't open them until out of the shower and more awake. (except to look at the clock when the alarm goes off)

out of bed to bathroom, take shower, all with eyes closed.

------

As to the comment of adjusting to things, or even better adjusting them to you, is very familiar idea.

The way i see it nothing is ready/perfect/what i expect as it sells , there is always something i could change or tweak to make it fit my purpose better.

Which leads to learning something new, whether its a skill, trade, or concept to be able to make a device perform as i want.
-----

(EG if you do this in strange rooms like you mentioned please keep a hand out in front of you at face level to protect yourself from losing an eye)