LED strip lights of some kind

tome9999

Newly Enlightened
In a couple closets in my house I want to put some lighting around the perimeter of the door frame inside the closet. The doors are double (about 6' wide). The shelves in the closets extend out from the back to within about 6-8" of the door or front wall. A single light won't do much but cast shadows and I think a continuous light around the perimeter would light the closet nicely. The question is what is the best solution for those lights? I can get power into the closets with a bit of work so I can either put an outlet in there or just a junction box for hardwiring. I thought about the led rope lights but I haven't seen any that weren't cold blue in color. I would like a neutral or warmish color. Also, I was wondering if they would get hot? Are there led strips that would be easy to install, safe, and a good color? Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Tom

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remembered seeing some warm white LED "tape" (somewhat like weatherstripping) at a lighting place near me called "Light Bulbs Ect". I can't remember the manufacturer exactly but I think it may be either ELCO or W.A.C lighting.

kalekainxx

Newly Enlightened
Strip lights are available in warm white. Also you can get one with a socket connection to an AC adaptor.

tome9999

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies. Can these strip-type light provide lighting to actually see by, or are they typically just for accent lighting? I need something bright enough to see by...

cwloo

Newly Enlightened
You could get those SMD 5050 tape.

e.g. http://www.dealextreme.com/p/72w-33...e-light-flexible-strip-5m-length-dc-12v-93393

sku_93393_3.jpg

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remembered seeing some warm white LED "tape" (somewhat like weatherstripping) at a lighting place near me called "Light Bulbs Ect". I can't remember the manufacturer exactly but I think it may be either ELCO or W.A.C lighting.

Stopped by the light bulbs ect store earlier today and looked again, the product is called CabLED by OptiLed

http://cabled.optiled.com/

curby

Newly Enlightened
I noticed that the Ikea Dioder strips are discounted to $30 for 4. Does anyone have experience with these guys, or is Ikea a little too ghetto for CPF? =)

I'm looking for a dead simple lighting system for some glass-front cabinets we've got. I know that you can always do better epoxying emitters to aluminum stock, but between all my hobbies and other stuff I don't have time to piece stuff together.

Are they wired up parallel, and if so do they suffer from cascading emitter failures as more current gets dumped to remaining bulbs as the weaker ones blow out? (These last questions apply to all light strips in general... do they tend to have inline resistors for each emitter, or do you just expect cascading failures when dealing with such things?)

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a closet that is a great deal like what you described. I emptied it and ran a strip of cool-white LED rope light up one side, across the top, and down the other side to the floor. The rope goes back and forth so that it is three ropes side-by-side at any one point. The closet is perfectly well lit and it is all but impossible for any one item to block the light to a shelf. For a closet I didn't care about the color temperature, the effect is somewhat like looking into a fluorescent lit room.

LED rope lights do come in warm white. They cost a little more and aren't quite as bright, but the color is friendlier. Inside the rope the lights are wired in groups of three with a resistor. If any one group dies the impact on the other lights is trivial. The rope does not get noticeably warm, the individual LEDs are only 3mm or so. The diodes are directional, I turned mine so they are all aimed at the back of the closet.

You could also do this with an SMD LED strip. They are brighter and flatter. You will probably have to cut it and add a short section of wire to turn each corner, the strips are highly flexible up and down, but not at all flexible sideways.

Latest posts