Gift lights - what works, what does not?

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
What kind of flashlights do you gift to friends/acquaintances? These are intended as EDC lights. Specialty lights for the LEO or firefighters or military or other similar specialty cases should be excluded. How do you trade off quality vs $ limits?

By gift lights I am focusing (bad pun) on lights that you give away, in a quantity more than 1-2. The recipients are acquaintances who could possibly use something better than the usual drugstore or hardware store lights, but are not educated about flashlights, definitely not flashaholics! Which gift lights have been successful and what represents a selection failure, or maybe a recipient "failure"? If you follow-up with these recipients, are the lights used, or do they sit in some drawer or on some shelf somewhere?

For me, at the low-end of the cost scale, the button-cell pinch lights where a squeeze will turn the light on and another squeeze turns the light off, have been very successful. Prices for these lights start out in the $1.50-$2 range. Many minimalists and medical people like these. Their sphere of action is, at maximum, a smallish room. Unfortunately any ramp up/down feature remains mostly unused. The light is either off or on. Regarding selection failures, any light that requires a constant squeeze to stay lit was rarely used, or simply rejected outright. Sliding switch-type lights are also a problem for people wearing any sort of covering on their fingers, such as medical exam gloves, or those RAs/nurses/doctors with hands still wet from the antiseptic solution available at the entrance to most medical rooms. Unfortunately the 2x 2016 batteries run down and the recipient may or may not ask for another light. The button-cell pinch lights with easily replaceable 2016 batteries tend to reach into the $5+ range and thereby the discretionary $ limits are of concern.

The other level of a gift light for me are primarily the 1x AAA lights, or possibly the 1x CR123 persuasion. These are more challenging to select since they tend to cost $15-$35 and I hit my discretionary $ limits very quickly. Nevertheless, these single-cell lights are popular since they are easily carriable, yet provide enough light for more than one person or enough range to maybe keep "interested" animals at some distance. The success story is very mixed in that any extra features are rarely used. The light is either on or off. All of the recipients like the extra illumination beyond a button-cell light, usually in the 50+ lumens range. The battery selection makes quite a difference in acceptance. The AAA-cell lights are popular - easy battery replacement. The CR123-based lights are used until the battery runs down and the recipient discovers the cost of CR123 batteries in the usual brick/mortar store. end discussion. I try to mitigate that problem by telling them to contact me for more CR123 batteries, but not many do.

Then there are the success stories where the recipient became a flashaholic! Those are few and far between.

So, if you gift flashlights more than once or twice, what works, what does not?

beach honda

Enlightened
I base my gifting on the fact that most people I gift to aren't YET flashaholics or probably won't turn into one. This means I start small and stick with standard AA or AAA batteries for convenience and cost effective fuel supply. Being that quality and ease of use are important factors when gifting lights, one should consider a KISS UI (on and off) and something that can take a beating. Fenix E01 or E05 come to mind often, and I have given quite a few away.

People often come back for more after using it for a few months.

TwitchALot

Enlightened
I used to gift the 4Sevens Mini AA due to versatility, common battery type, and relatively small size. But due to reliability reasons, cost, and complexity for SOME people (who don't listen to me when I tell them to read the manual or show them how to use it?), I've transitioned to the Fenix E05. Not only is it much cheaper, the beam is optimized for most EDC tasks (more flood). In addition, it's simple (twist on and off), smaller and lighter so non-flashaholics are more likely to carry it with them (on the keys), and still uses a fairly common battery type. I'll usually insert the Energizer Lithium AAA for them and add a little hand written note about batteries and alkaline leakage, and so far, it's proven to be pretty successful. Budget limits, the type of person in mind, and what you want them to do with it (I want them to EDC it, not toss it in their nightstand or something), are all important considerations, and the Fenix E05 is a great contender for me. If you're dealing with people who don't mind a little more complexity for a lot more versatility, maybe an iTP or something will do better.

Burgess

Flashaholic
The important, essential things to consider:

Convenience, and ease-of-use

I want it to be convenient, so that they will ALWAYS carry this with them !

Clipping it to their Keychain pretty much assures that. :)

Ease of use means ON or OFF.

Twist-the-head for the switch.

Works well with long fingernails, or while wearing gloves.

Always dependable and reliable.

Pretty Colors are a big plus !

Anything other than Boring Black, if at all possible.

:)

I like the Fenix E01 for this purpose.

Plenty of light for a whole lot of uses

Beam shape, and color-tint, are not something the Normal Person would object to. :whistle:

Oh, BTW --

Sometimes i'll give somebody a Purple one . . . .

Then i'll turn it on, and point it at a White Wall,
and say " Look, even the Light Beam is kinda' Purple ! "

They seem to REALLY love THAT ! ! !

Oh, i always load it with an Energizer L92 Ultimate Lithium battery.

The rest of the story, is (of course), up to them !

:wave:
_

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only gift lights to those who I know will appreciate a good light.
Since I would only give some that I would like to receive...
Surefire E2D, 2x E2DL. LX2 and E2L Outdoorsman

Erzengel

Enlightened
Keychain lights are always a good decision, because the recipients will use them very soon and very often. If they like gadgets, a three-mode light will be ok. The stainless versions are nice, because keys tend to scratch the anodisation of normal lights and a stainless or titanium version will look nice for a long time.
If people use their toolbox very often, a standard AA light will be fine. A simple three mode interface can be explained very fast. The two button interfaces are more intuitive for non flashaholics.

Tiggercat

Enlightened
I have gifted Photon lights for the reasons already stated - very small, very simple, clips to the keychain. For slightly more advanced friends, I am considering the color versions of the Olight EOS i3 this year.

JacobJones

Enlightened
I choose romisen RC-G2 R5's for gifts. Good brightness, one alkaline AA, one mode so nobody gets confused, good quality, fairly cheap 20 dollars. Everyone who has recieved one really likes them, most wouldn't spend so much on gift lights but I refuse to give people junk

cy

Flashaholic
The old workhorse, Arc AAA is still the best for this purpose .. not too expensive, super durable, tiny size. puts out just the right amount of light for closeup duties on a key chain. which probably is the first way most folks start EDC a light.

mbw_151

Enlightened
A gift light must be KISS. I've given away lights like Leatherman Monarch 400 & 500, Inova X1, and Fenix E01. Anything with multiple clicks or twists is out. An old light I wish I could find a current equivalent to is the Fenix L1Tv2. This was my high end gift light, one twist and one click. Even if they don't sort out lo from hi, it still works when clicked.

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good responses! As a former engineer acquaintance of mine liked to say - "Keep it bunny-rabbit simple!".

The twisty switch survives rather well, as long as they periodically clean the end of the body where it contacts the head. More than a few have been washed with the laundry with no problems. The button-cell lights never survive getting wet.

Responses have been positive to the Fenix LD01 or the 4Sevens Preon I - which are at the top end of my funding range. Responses to a 10 lumen light or less in the AAA size like the Fenix E01 were worse than disappointing. Evidently if the recipient is going to carry around an AAA light, they wanted a lot more lumens and a _white_ beam. Otherwise the button-cell lights remain very popular for people who do not want a lot on their keyring. and yes, the flashlights in colors other than black are popular!

However, I seemed to have missed a light - the Fenix E05 with only 27 lumens. I will rectify that shortcoming soon. I may also try out the Fenix LD15 - a response to the Quark Mini AA light which I do have, but have never gifted - yet. Again, those AA lights are kinda pricey for gifting although the advantage of a longer run time and a step up in lumens is appreciated. EDC is still the desired mode.

I have had some success with the 1xCR123 lights like the Fenix P1 and the Lighthound CR123 light. Those lights were/are low enough in cost but are still good lights. CR123 batteries in bulk drop to $1.30-$1.40 each. Simple, On/Off, nothing more. I gave out enough spare batteries that the recipients (usually teachers) got past the first few battery replacements. Most are still in use.

In the button-cell lights, the X-Light has been very popular, along with some of the Photon versions. replaceable button-cell batteries, easy push to turn on or off. The ramping feature is ignored. Prices for the X-Light range from almost $10 to about $6. Nevertheless they are still button-cell lights with minimal lumens and run-time. and that is a seque to another factor that has tripped me up and which is causing me some debate with myself right now.

Once a recipient has a decent flashlight compared to whatever they had before, they start using it more, sometimes a lot more. Holding their interest past the first battery change or two can be a hurdle. The AAA/AA is a clear winner in this, although they all purchase alkaline batteries even though I gave it to them with a Lithium battery - like many of you. They remember the long run time, but do not want to pay the price for Lithium. Sooo, my problem is to figure out how to give them a light that will grow with their usage - and that is not normally a button-cell light. Hence I am hunting for options - and the reason for this thread.

Thanks for the input!

Last edited:

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've gifted a few Fenix AA lights. A couple of friends willing to appreciate the lights got a Fenix E21 and a Ultrafire P-10 (I gave him the 18650 battery and charger, too)

Jeff

Ajax517

Newly Enlightened
I only ever give DX fauxtons to people unless they see a particular light of mine and state "Wow, I want one of those!". The Fauxtons are perfect for people that want little fuss and rarely think of a light source as useful until they're stuck in a bathroom in a blackout (Mother-in-law, true story). County Comm has the bright orange button cells with a nice slider switch but I've found the key ring to be lacking and often breaks under light use.

For what those lights are primarily used for, temporary blackouts, finding keys at night, walking to a car, the fauxtons are ideal. Cheap, durable, light, simple. I give them away like suckers at the dentist's office. Not gifts necessarily just a courtesy. The Fenix E01s are perfect for gifts with the different colors and solid build quality.

davecroft

Enlightened
I agree with your comments on lower output lights, Moldyoldy. I think non-flashaholics are not impressed with 5 or 10 lumens, no matter how well made or robust the flashlight. They can get that output from a cheap button cell light (or even in an aluminium body with tailcap switch for about 3 dollars from DX). I think sheer output is the thing that impresses most people.

I am planning on getting some friends lights for Christmas and I can see the Fenix E05 getting a good reception - decent output with reasonable runtime and not too expensive.

I have the Fenix LD15. It is one of my favourite edc lights, looks good, is well put together and is relatively cheap compared to some others, but a bit too expensive for general gifting. It has a 'wow' factor (comes on in high mode) but only lasts about 90 mins on high so runtime is an issue for people who just want to carry a light and not worry too much about batteries. The low mode (8 lumens) is probably not going to be used much by non - flashaholics.

But there is also the Fenix E11 - from what I have seen it looks like it is aimed specifically at non-flashaholics, a bit cheaper than the LD15, nice and bright floody beam, decent brightness even on the lower setting (32 lumens), on/off via tailswitch, mode change by twisting head. Looks foolproof and a nice present for special friends.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is how I gift lights to nonflashaholics. First, the Lighthound coin cell light. Small enough to put on keyring and not even noticed in pocket until needed. Cost in bulk from last purchase was 85 cents each (this has increased). Some people will come back asking for another one when the batteries die when they see the replacement cost of the batteries. At this point, they get a Fenix EO1. For most, this is all they want, something bright enough to see their immediate surroundings, that will work as a keychain light, and last a long time on cheap batteries. If they come back asking for something brighter, I'll let them know about the ITP A3 EOS R5 for just over $20. At this point, they have a light that lasts and aren't in the dark anymore. They can buy their own light if they need something brighter.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I gave half a dozen or so ITP AAA lights as xmas presents 2 years ago and they are all still in use and most of them are no longer on the original battery (so I know they're getting some use). They all went straight on to the owner's keychains.

"Cute" seems to help, so pick colors the recipient likes.

--flatline

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
I completely forgot about the Photon. I gifted a few of them years ago. I didn't see them on those guys keychains for very long. I still have mine on my secondary keychain.

They are a good light for the average person. Bright enough to be useful, small, and it strobes, so kinda fun at the same time.

energythoughts

Newly Enlightened
Would a non-flashaholic know to tail stand a light to light up the room in a power outage?

We've had some crazy weather here in the northeast lately with many power failures. I'm buying quality lights for family & friends this year. Sticking with AA is a must. Simple operation is a must as well.

I've given a few Fenix E21's now, and just bought an E11. I'm having a hard time not bustin' open the blister pack to try the E11 myself. Both of these lights have great output and are very simple to use. Push the button and you got light. If they figure out the head twist for a low mode that is just a bonus.

I just wish both of these had a little better run times for emergency situations, and also wish the smaller E11 could tail stand.

Harry999

Enlightened
I would gift lights I would use. So I
will be gifting a friend who works outdoors at night in rural areas a Fenix LD40 & a Zebralight SC51.

This meets another criteria in that I only gift lights to those who value them. Most average people who asked for a light would just get a coin cell light.

Sent from my smart phone using Tapatalk

Harry999

Enlightened
Just to add if I was feeling generous to someone who might not appreciate a light but might find one useful I would consider a Fenix E01.

Sent from my smart phone using Tapatalk