Air Travel with L1

kaseri

Enlightened
I need to travel tomorrow and I'd like to take my L1 along. Anyone travel with a light? If so, any problem with it in carry on?

Chief_Wiggum

Enlightened
No problems here. Besides the "security" guard just having to fool with it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

PocketLights.com

Newly Enlightened
I normally travel with several LED flashlights -- Mini Maglite with Opalec NewBeam, Arc AAA LE, Photon II Microlight and Streamlight Stylus. I have never had a problem with security when packing them in my carry-on luggage.

Tsao

Newly Enlightened
No problem at all!!!
I just came back from U.S. last week!
LA in, Seattle out.(from Taiwan)
One Policeman in SEA asked me where I got my L1?
I said "Internet!"
He had never saw Surefire with LED!!

FYI

kaseri

Enlightened
I figured that it wouldn't be an issue. But we all know how stupid most of the airport "security officers" are.

Who knows.. maybe they will check my id 4 times to verify that my face is in fact sandwiched between two pieces of plastic. Now THAT'S security! LOL!

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I recently flew with about 6 custom and strange looking flashlights in my carry on. At one airport, a titanium pen needed to be checked out due to the x-ray image I guess; no comment on the flashlights. At another airport, I overheard one security agent discussing my bag with another while it was in the x-ray tunnel. The comment was, something like "they look like flashlights, is that OK?" the response: "yeah, flashlights are OK". A couple of these lights must have looked very strange in x-ray but no one ever asked me to open the carry on bag!

- Don

onelight

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
I recently flew with about 6 custom and strange looking flashlights in my carry on. At one airport, a titanium pen needed to be checked out due to the x-ray image I guess; no comment on the flashlights. At another airport, I overheard one security agent discussing my bag with another while it was in the x-ray tunnel. The comment was, something like "they look like flashlights, is that OK?" the response: "yeah, flashlights are OK". A couple of these lights must have looked very strange in x-ray but no one ever asked me to open the carry on bag!

- Don

[/ QUOTE ] Ahhhh I wish I was the inspector they would have been way to dangerous and would have to be....CONFISCATED.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
I've flown with an Arc LS with 123 TSP a few times. That's a light which is NOT obviously a flashlight if you don't know what it is. Airport security has looked at it somewhat suspiciously each time, until I told them it was a flashlight and how to turn it on. One time, they then used it to search my carry-on bag (holding the button down in the momentary position until I told them it would stay on if they pushed it harder). They told me it was a cool light and said maybe they should get some for their own use searching bags, and asked how much it cost. I told them it cost 60 bucks (which was true, I didn't bother mentioning it was a factory second and that a first would have cost even more) and they seemed to drop the idea pretty fast. It must have seemed crazy to them that a pocket flashlight would be so expensive.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Paulr, they determined you were crazy and still let you on the plane? I'm walking from now on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Threepio

Newly Enlightened
I recently carried my L4, an X5 and a PM6 through LAX, Chicago, Quebec City and Toronto. They were all in my camera bag with several radios- HAM and marine. At all checkpoints my camera bag was thoroughly inspected, but the main thing they wanted to see was the camera lenses. They had to see through each one. Everything else got looked at, each compartment in the bag was checked, but no comment was made about the flashlights. I was rather disappointed, actually... --Bob