New NetBook-Questions

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
My NetBook is an Asus Eee PC 1011PX it has:
Genuine Windows® 7 Starter
Dual core Intel® Atom™ N570 processor for unprecedented performance
Enjoy all-day-computing with 11 hours* of battery life
Stylish seashell design with a unique wave pattern texture in black and white **
Comfortable user experience with extremely large touch pad and ergonomically chiclet keyboard
Instant boot up through dual OS – Express Gate & Win7
What I want out of it--Internet is important for my netbook, but basically I see using it as a small, portable desktop. Open Office is my most used application, followed by Chrome and E-Sword. I don't envision using a lot of "Cloud Computing".
Any thoughts are welcome.
Questions:
OS? Windows 7 Starter or some Linux version ?

Case A cushion case, neoprene. A Nanuk case -Crutchfield has 915 + 920 Orange on Sale Or a Pelican Case--1075? I don't see any in production Otter cases. Is a hard case needed? I do know that there are times I will be carrying it in the rain. But a hard case won't fit in a pack that I would normally carry. I want to be able to carry power cords and a few accessories also.

What else should I carry (for the netbook) I'll have a mini-usb cable, for my MP3 Player. A Thumb drive or more. A mouse? What else? [I will have 3 or 4 flashlights on my person] Maybe an extra and some batteries :)

What am I not thinking of? I don't have a big budget, but I can convince myself of needs :broke::ohgeez::whistle:

ganymede

Enlightened
Back when my wife was looking for a netbook, we researched on models from ACER, ASUS, Dell, Toshiba, Lenova, etc. Looks wise, Asus is probably the best. Performance wise, they all suck (it's a netbook, nuff said). Ergonomics is very important, especially in a small netbook, we went to test out the keyboards and found Toshiba has the best keyboard of the bunch.

Good luck!

jorgen

Enlightened
I carry an upgraded ram Asus when traveling. It's worked well for about a year.

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
I appreciate the input. Though it isn't answering my questions :) I have the Asus netbook, so suggestions on different ones doesn't help w/ possible onset of buyer's remorse :). I am happy w/ it so far after two days :/
How do you carry yours?
Any accessories you have that you are glad you got? Really glad? Disappointed with?
@Jorgen Did you see a big performance increase with the RAM upgrade? Did you go from 1GB to 2 or something else?

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I carried an ultralight for some time, my two favorite accessories were my SkinIt skin and setting the power settings so that the computer would remain on when closed, so I could tune in to a radio station and have a slim, compact radio..

veedo

Newly Enlightened
Ahh, sorry about that mate, didnt realize you had already purchased one. How much memory is in it now? Ram prices are at an all time low, so 2x2gb would be a good idea. 2x4 if you want to overkill it, if its supported. I suggest an ssd drive to make the biggest performance improvement.

Imon

Enlightened
I recently bought a EEE PC 1015px when my EEE PC 701 went on the fritz. I really like it so far it's a huge upgrade over my 701, which I bought about 4 years ago, and I haven't looked back.
Asus claims that the 1015px has a 10 hour battery life but that's probably with the screen brightness at the lowest, wi-fi off, and no programs running. I've discovered that the battery life of my 1015px screen brightness full, wi-fi on, and surfing the internet is about 4 hours. Still not bad but nowhere near 10 hours. The price was only $280 too much cheaper than the $400 I paid for my EEE PC 701 four years ago but that's what I get for being an early adopter. :shakehead