How Do You Return Gmail to Basic HTML Permanently?

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been using Gmail for a few years now, strictly in the Basic HTML mode. It is clean, it is without clutter, and its inherent simplicity is ideal. When Yahoo! Mail tried to force a change, I found out how to get it to stay in its own "Classic" mode.

While checking my Gmail email a short while ago, I needed to view the header of an email, and I read that you had to switch to the standard view in order to see this information. I switched, and was able to find the information I sought. However, I am now confounded: I cannot find a setting to switch back to Basic HTML, and it is extremely frustrating. The previous setting which locked it to "Basic HTML" mode was not dependent upon a cookie, because it stuck across computers, browsers, and operating systems. I cannot believe that by clicking the "standard" link I have somehow permanently and irreversibly condemned myself to using the complex and in your face UI of the "new" Gmail.

Please, fellow CPF'ers:

Does anyone know how to return Gmail to its "Basic HTML" mode, and make it stick, across browsers, across operating systems, across computers?

:confused:

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, brembo, and thank you for your help.

When I click the link, it allows me to log in, for that session only, to Basic HTML. However, it does not provide an option to permanently return Gmail to "Basic HTML," and make it stick, across browsers, across operating systems and across computers.

brembo

Enlightened
It says "Set HTML as default" or the like, it's a hyperlink. Want me to get a screenshot of it?

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't find the link. I am trying on Firefox 3.6.8 on one computer, and on IE 6.0 on another machine.

That link is the very object of my search, and I cannot seem to produce it.

brembo

Enlightened
Chrome, that might be why as it likely plays better with Gmail.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just downloaded Chrome, installed it, clicked the link, logged into Gmail under "Basic HTML," and no dice: it says "You are currently viewing Gmail in basic HTML. Upgrade your browser for faster, better Gmail

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your screen shot is exactly what I am trying to get on my machine. What I desire are the words "Set basic HTML as default view."

They will not appear, and I don't know why.

EDIT: I opened a clean install of Windows XP. I downloaded Chrome, and clicked your link. It still won't let me set HTML as default view.

It does not make any sense.

Last edited:

brembo

Enlightened
That is bizarre. Someone at Google can probably get it fixed with no issue, they are big on keeping folks happy.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am trying to think what the variables are that have been omitted. You used Chrome, I used Chrome. You used the link, I used the link.

There must be some other difference responsible for your getting the option to make "Basic HTML" stick for good and me getting the utterly useless and frustrating "Upgrade your browser for faster, better Gmail"

Technology isn't magic, so there must be some other variable unaccounted for.

*scratches head*

brembo

Enlightened
I just fired up a laptop that hasn't been on in weeks and the Gmail setting held for it as well. I do not know why your account is being such a jerk. If you wanna send via PM your password I can see if it's some browser setting.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I deeply appreciate your offer, but I am not comfortable giving that out. Just the nature of the medium.

But if it is something browser specific, then perhaps trying myriad browsers will do the trick.

While not bleeding edge, Firefox 3.6.8 and Chrome should report user agent strings that make Gmail happy.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
:( It didn't work. Firefox, Chrome, Opera, and IE 6.0, all down for the count.

I appreciate your help, brembo. I think I am going to try for a few more minutes, and then call it a night. I don't want to turn in feeling frustrated.

If we can wrangle a solution out of this, I am sure it will benefit other folk in the same situation. I am sending you a PM right now.