LED shorting out in TK40?

Deal4

Enlightened
I bought a nice TK40 on Marketplace awhile back, and though I haven't used it a ton it has worked great!
Well, a few weeks ago when I was using it on turbo mode it just shut off and I couldn't get it to come back on again for a while.
I have gone through all the threads about TK40 tail switch problems, and have eliminated the tail switch from being the probem by unscrewing the tailcap and just pressing down on the batter carrier and using a paper clip to connect the center of the battery carrier to the wall of the tube.
It comes on this way (still in turbo mode) and again after a short period it shuts off again.
I have tried this in the third mode (high) and though it does take longer, eventually the light will turn off in this mode too. :confused:
I have taken the light completely apart and thoroughly cleaned it and still no luck.

Now completely frustrated I have held the light up to my ear and when the light is just ready to turn off I notice a little bit of flickering and I hear a slight sound almost like something is shorting out. :sick2:
I can't figure out how to take apart the head/lens part of the light to be able to see the light engine, so I can't examine it.
To me it seems that the light is shorting out. :ironic:
Anyone have this happen to them or have any ideas? I'm completely without a clue what to do now.
Since I bought it on Marketplace, will Fenix still honor it?
I have always thought a lot of Fenix, but this is causing me to reconsider! :mad:

michaelmcgo

Enlightened
That sounds exactly like a battery problem. What kind of batteries are you using? Can you check each of them with a voltmeter to make sure they're all working/charged.

Deal4

Enlightened
That sounds exactly like a battery problem. What kind of batteries are you using? Can you check each of them with a voltmeter to make sure they're all working/charged.

I am using eneloop batteries that are all fully charged. I do not have a voltmeter, but I have checked the batteries in different lights that I have and all work correctly.
If the batteries were at fault, why would the LED sound like it was shorting out just before the light flickers and goes out? I have seen a light go out because of battery problems and it looks much different than this.
Any other ideas?

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen a lot of threads saying humming from a light is normal. I agree it sounds like batteries, maybe a bad cell or the cells aren't matched voltage wise. Are the cells in correctly? Did you clean the threads/contacts just in case? What charger are you using to charge the Eneloops?

Deal4

Enlightened
I've seen a lot of threads saying humming from a light is normal. I agree it sounds like batteries, maybe a bad cell or the cells aren't matched voltage wise. Are the cells in correctly? Did you clean the threads/contacts just in case? What charger are you using to charge the Eneloops?

Thanks for the reply.
I'm not refering to any kind of hum or whine which, as you say, is quite common. The sound I am refering to more of a "tzzz" like a short for just a second before the light shorts off.

I have taken each eneloop out seperately and tried them for a while in a high drain single LED light (ZL SC51) and each individual cel worked just like it should. If the batteries are fine in the SC51 which is very high drain (200 lumens from a single AA) they should have no problem in the TK40.

I am using a charger from Tenergy (TN156 which is a four cell charger) which checks each each cell individually and continues to moniter each battery individually through out the charging cycle. To me the batteries seem to bit in great shape. Almost all of them are brand new and the others are not very old at all.
To me that means it has to be something else besides the batteries.

I have thoroughly cleaned the entire light at least 2 time. If this isn't clean enough, I need a different light. All my other lights aren't near as clean and work flawlessly. Something isn't right.

Deal4

Enlightened
I still don't have any answers here. I am really in need of some advice as I am out of options on my own!
Anyone?

Deal4

Enlightened
Im a noob lol but have you taken off the head to check the wires u may be grounding out. its a long shot but take a look. If you didnt want to try to fix it. looks like you are gonna need your E-Warranty Card to send it off. http://www.fenixlight.com/service.asp?action=tiaokuan hope this helps man.

Hi Tony, if no one has before let me say: :welcome:
Yeah, I had the same thought you did about checking the soldering, but I cannot figure out how to get the head apart. :thinking:
I did contact Fenix and ask if I can ship it to them and pay to have it fixed.
Thanks for wanting to help out! :thumbsup:
Shad