How do I get more flood or spill from Mag LED

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a 3d maglite with the rebel LED. I am trying to create more flood or a stronger spill of light. I have tried several diffusers with no luck. Would orange peel help?

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
So do you want no spot at all or just a more balanced beam?

I used this lens with their LDF for a bike light and was pretty content with it. But an orange peel would already help to get a decent amount of flood compared to the standard Mag lens.

rayman

tjhabak

Enlightened
I haven't seen any aluminum orange peel Mag LED reflectors yet (if I ever do I'll definitely pick a few up). I have had pretty good luck spiddling a couple Mag LED reflectors with clear spray paint. There are a few threads on the best paint and tips on getting it to come out nice. I also have one with the GITD diffuser film sold by a CPF member and I like it almost as much. It doesn't seem to reduce light output much and gives one wide floody even beam with out much of a hot spot at all. The spiddling leaves a good, slightly larger hot spot with a smoother transition to the spill and very little if any distracting lines or rings in the beam.

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still want a spot for some throw, but I am looking for a more balanced beam. I tried orange peeling a reflector years ago with clear nail polish with no luck on a different light. Maybe I should try it again

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had a couple of those OP reflectors from KD for my Mags and I really liked them. They made a nice beam with P7, XP-G or SST-50/90. So I can gladly recommend them.

rayman

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
do they fit the rebel led model. The standard mag reflector does not fit in my mag rebel led

gearhead1972

Newly Enlightened
do they fit the rebel led model. The standard mag reflector does not fit in my mag rebel led
No they are for standard Mags. The LED ones have a deeper reflector.
I have read hear that trying hair spray works well as a test, cause you can wash it off with hot water. Never tried it myself though.