Peak Eiger let down (allgood, sorted)

subiya

Newly Enlightened
Am I missing something here or just expecting too much. I bought the peak eiger 200 lumen lithium setup for what equates to just under $200 NZ dollars. You can imaging for a single cell 2/3 aaa size torch at that price I was expecting something quite amazing. Unfortunatley I'm totaly underwhelmed
It is on a par with my 55 lumen mag lite upgrade. The hardware store variety double aa torch supposedly 170 lumens blows it out of the water, The TK35 on 209 LUMENS blows it out of the water,
What am I missing? It's a 8 grade light I believe.
IMG_9020.jpg
IMG_9019.jpg

IMG_9024.jpg

IMG_9028.jpg

IMG_9027.jpg

IMG_9030.jpg

IMG_9021.jpg

Unfortunatley it is a very yellow colour light as well.
Cheers
Glen

Last edited:

ragweed

Enlightened
Re: Peak Eiger let down

Peak makes good solid lights. You failed to take into account Lumens vs Beam distance. That is you can have 200 lumens & it won't throw as far as a 100 lumen light. The reflector head has a lot to do with beam distance IMO. That's why you see threads here asking for a Thrower light. High lumens does not always equate to high throw or beam distance. I hope this helps.

subiya

Newly Enlightened

Thanks ragweed.
It was because they make good lights I was happy to fork out so much money on a tiny light. Yes I am aware of the difference between lumens and throw. But even so, the lux readings I took were all to close to the meter (400mm) that light spill had little to do with the readings. And the yellow tint, not even close to white or cool white makes me wonder if I got a dud. That would be a major hassle being on the other side of the world.
The trees in the photo's are 10m (32ft) away. I've seen posts of guys claiming to light up trees at 30 meters or 100 feet with similar sized torches and this is supposedly one of the brightest.
Just very frustrating when you do all the research to make sure you'll get what you want and then …………
I bought from Overready and their service, speed, communication etc was great so I don't want to cause a hassle 'if', in fact, I was just expecting too much.
But darn - $200nz for something no brighter than a upgraded AA maglite hurts.

Last edited:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

But even so, the lux readings I took were all to close to the meter (400mm) that light spill had little to do with the readings.
Maybe not? Interesting that the basketball goal is brightly lit with the peak, but just barely lit with the other light...and although 400mm/15 inches is not that far from your meter, it can still make a difference when the beam is a focused as it is on the TK. It would be interesting to do a 'ceiling bounce' reading in a dark room - or read them in an integrating sphere. It might tell a different story. I have 2 Eigers, and the XPG one on a 10440 battery is very bright - 220 lumen in my sphere - but also very floody. My Haiku XPG is 'only' 190 lumen but appears much brighter to the eye

And the yellow tint, not even close to white or cool white makes me wonder if I got a dud. [/FONT]
Did you get the cool version or the high CRI version? Maybe they shipped the high CRI by accident (if that's not what you ordered). I have the high CRI version also, and it's around 100 very floody lumen.

Regardless, it's unfortunate that you are disappointed. Hope it works out for you!!

subiya

Newly Enlightened

Maybe I'm being unreasonable?
From left to right
eiger 200 lumen, maglite 55 upgrade, energizer hard case AA, hardware store 170 lumen AA. The Eiger is closer to the wall and look at the colour of the beam.

IMG_9032.jpg

Tommygun45

Enlightened

Ya man, based on those beam shots that def looks like a hi cri model to me. In case you aren't aware, hi cri means it has a high color rendering index. The closer that number gets to 100 the closer it is to a true incan. True incans allow us to see things as if they were in natural daylight. It can be very desirable as evidenced by the constant demand and clamoring for hi-cri hds lights, m61hicri's, etc, on the marketplace. It would be nice if you had an incan model to throw in there to compare it to as well. Might have gotten yourself a great little light. Looks to me like they sent you the wrong one, or you maybe ordered the wrong one without knowing. It can happen.

jupello

Enlightened

This may be a stupid question, but are you sure that the Eiger is really supposed to give out 209 lumens?
Power level charts at http://www.peakledsolutions.net/Products/Eiger10440.html only show max 104 lumens output. They could be old tho.
Also, if it's some QTC version, then the output should increase when you tighten the head more.

..or maybe you just got wrong/faulty light :(

Edit: oh, ok.. seems that it's some high CRI/warm version, and that's the reason for reduced output

Last edited:

subiya

Newly Enlightened

OK, I can take a challenge.
Ceiling bounce test,
TK35, 76 lux (Guy on Utube read 72 so I'm ball park.
Hardcase 2AA 4.6
Mag lite upgrade 2AA 3.2
Hardware 170 lumen 13.5
Peak Eiger. 8.2

This is what I believe I purchase, there isn't any other option.
State of the art CREE XPG emitter for over 200 lumens (100% power with lithium cell).
off the overready site. looking at the Peak Eiger site it says

10280 (thats my light) 520 fc, I read 256 asuming it's Foot candles or 104L (lux or lumens?) for power level No.8

Last edited:

jorgen

Enlightened

Based on the amount you paid, 200 NZ$ (about USD 152), you bought the hi cri version. The beam shots support this.

Last edited:

jupello

Enlightened

off the overready site. looking at the Peak Eiger site it says

10280 (thats my light) 520 fc, I read 256 asuming it's Foot candles or 104L (lux or lumens?) for power level No.8

The 104L is their estimated lumens.. but since other sites advertise the lights being 200+ lumens, I think their site is just outdated again. Peak is not very active on updating their site.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast

It dont look to bad. The eiger is closest to the wall, and still seems to have the broadest (and brightest) spill. It will never throw as one of the bigger light, small lights never will.
You have a lux meter. Do a celing bounce test. Put the lux meter on the floor and shoot the lights one by one on a spot in the celing so it lights up the room. You are messuring lux when you shine directly on the light meter and it will only tell you how good the light throws, nothing more.

subiya

Newly Enlightened

Based on the amount you paid, 200 NZ$ (about USD 152), you bought the hi cri version. The beam shots support this.

is that a good thing or a bad thing? There wasn't a choice about that on the web site.

Ceiling bounce tests are a couple of posts above.

Cheers
Glen

subiya

Newly Enlightened

It was ordered and came from direct from overready.
Arrived today.

jorgen

Enlightened

is that a good thing or a bad thing? There wasn't a choice about that on the web site.

Ceiling bounce tests are a couple of posts above.

Cheers
Glen

It is really a question of what you want and it sounds like brightness is more important than color rendition to you, as it is to me. Oveready made about 40 of these HI-CRI lights, they sold out quickly, and from what I have read, mostly everyone that knew what they were, and bought one, was satisified. Here is the thread, if you have not seen it: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?322376-Peak-Eiger-now-with-Nichia-119-H1-High-CRI.

subiya

Newly Enlightened

Yes you're right. Didn't know what it was but you usually get what you pay for so I did order it now you remind me. It was and extra 30 bucks or something. Still not sure what it means. This is all new to me.
Nichia 119-H1 High CRI 4.5K
you know I have to say it's a beautiful little light. Also, with me playing with it while it's new and the short battery life the batteries are onto about their 4th charge and like all lipo cells are improving per cycle. ie voltage while in use is maintaining a higher value. The light is noticeably brighter now with cycled batteries than when first used. I do plan to get another body for it. I suspect with bigger cells which by nature can retain their voltage better it could improve even further.
love the qtc variable switch thing.

Last edited:

Diablo_331

Enlightened
I purchased a hi cri from overready and that beam color looks alot like mine. I also have a normal qtc eiger and it is alot cooler than the hi cri. Based solely on that beam shot photo and the price you paid, I'd say it is the hi cri version. The good news is that if you don't like it, it could be sold within a few hours on the market place for close to what you paid for it. You could even trade it plus cash for a "normal"eiger. I hope everything works out for you. Good luck.

Diablo_331

Enlightened
subiya said:
Yes you're right. Didn't know what it was but you usually get what you pay for so I did order it now you remind me. It was and extra 30 bucks or something. Still not sure what it means. This is all new to me.
Nichia 119-H1 High CRI 4.5K
you know I have to say it's a beautiful little light. Also, with me playing with it while it's new and the short battery life the batteries are onto about their 4th charge and like all lipo cells are improving per cycle. ie voltage while in use is maintaining a higher value. The light is noticeably brighter now with cycled batteries than when first used. I do plan to get another body for it. I suspect with bigger cells which by nature can retain their voltage better it could improve even further.

Yep. That proves it. You have a fairly rare torch with, IMHO, a beautiful beam. 1 of about 40.

tylernt

Enlightened

Can I just take a moment to say that Peak's website is confusing? The above linked Eiger page shows outputs for 1xNimH/1xAlk as well as 2xNiMH/2xAlk -- so is Eiger a single-cell or a two-cell flashlight? Also, why is "10280" listed as a battery in the FC/L output chart, when at the top of the page it says Eiger is a AAA/10440 size light?

Help me understand please...